Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all! I would like to purchase and install a Cherry Bomb Muffler, just have yet to make up my mind on what size/model to get. Anyone have any recommendations? Pics of installs also greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont think many owners here have used a cherry bomb on their trucks yet. They may have used them on previous cars though. In my experience, cherry bomb was the brand we used when we were in high school and didnt know any better... lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Uh yeah - my strong advice would be to run away from this. 6 cylinder engines, in general, will sound pretty crappy with an aftermarket exhaust. The only way you'll ever get your exhaust to sound like a large displacement V8 is to have a large displacement V8. Ask me how I know..........

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
Some have had good experience with Thrush mufflers, not to loud and no droning. I had them on my 65 Sport Fury w/383

·
Registered
99 Posts
A lot of folks on this forum are wanting the twins small V6 engines to sound like V8 engines not going to happen. I am running a Magnaflow with dual exhaust. I am happy with it. I could not stand the sound of the giant stock muffler. Back in the day I put a lot of Cherry Bomb glass packs. Disturbing The Peace, since 1968 LOF. I don't think they come in 2.75 if you get 3in a muffler shop can make it work. Measure the length of your stock muffler try to get one close to the same lenth. Glasspacks sound better in the middle of to exhaust system so you are good there. I would start out leaving the resonator on and see how it sounds. Having a longer glasspack it will not be very loud. It will take a month or so to break in. Give it a try it won't cost you much to try it. If you decide to go for it report back. As far as six-cylinder exhaust systems not sounding good we used to split the exhaust manifolds and run four on two dual exhaust. They sounded really good The two cylinder was louder than the four side sounded like a V8 with a nasty cam.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea....last glass packs I ran were in my '67 Chevelle that had side pipes on it. Those were the days. :grin2:
Side pipes were cool but talk about loud.
Those were the days I can remember when we bought a car an hour after we got it we would be cutting the exhaust off and be clamping on glass packs. Remember lift kits. Those were the days eight dollar recaped tires, rebuilt batteries? We could not wait to pull off the hubcaps and paint the rims black. I guess we were Blackout OGs. Underdash eight-track players with a slide out bracket.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The trick to a good sounding exhaust is to go duel outlet with a well matched muffler. A single muffler seldom sounds good no matter what you do.

Now on trucks a duel outlet often requires removal of the spare unless you do some extra work and have the space. There just is not the room they used to have when the we’re out board.

The Sixty degree six we have sound the best vs a ninety degree V6.

The one draw back to a duel outlet exhaust is often it can cost some performance exspecially like the kind on the 4th gen F body were it cost 7 to 10 hp with the split muffler.

If you want to hear a very good exhaust find a original exhaust Fiero. It has a small turbo muffler but it sounds like a V8. I get asked often if I have a 350 by the sound of the 2.8 V6.

Glass packs are fine for hot rods but they just do not sound like what a modern vehicle sounds like. The guts also blow out in a short time. They also are not stainless and the rott off in about 3 years in most damp areas.

That is the one true blessing of the factory exhaust is most will last the life of the vehicle. My Fiero is all stainless and is factory untouched since 1985 and shows no sign failure. Same for every factory exhaust I have had since. If you replace anything go stainless or leave it alone.

I see customers take off better exhaust than they put on.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Side pipes were cool but talk about loud.
Those were the days I can remember when we bought a car an hour after we got it we would be cutting the exhaust off and be clamping on glass packs. Remember lift kits. Those were the days eight dollar recaped tires, rebuilt batteries? We could not wait to pull off the hubcaps and paint the rims black. I guess we were Blackout OGs. Underdash eight-track players with a slide out bracket.
We used 150 psi air shocks in these parts. Only 1 gas station had a compressor that went that high and we all went there. :wink2:

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can tell you from experience a glass pack sounds horrible on our 3.6L trucks. I have tried a glass pack, magnaflow, 40 series flowmaster and 70 series flowmaster. By far the best sounding is the 70 Series Flowmaster with the resonator on which is what I currently have now with a K&N Blackhawk Intake. Its the only one that didn't give it the high pitched 4 cy sound or very annoying drone. It sounds clean and deep throughout the whole power band. The glass pack would get higher pitched and more annoying as the rpms got higher.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.