Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon CC 4X4, 2020 Chevy Z71 CC 2WD
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that you need to wait for x number of minutes after running the 3.6l to check the engine oil level. I waited 30 minutes and it showed 1qt low at 3900 miles. I waited another hour and it showed about 3/4 of a qt low. I check it 3 hours later, still low. I thought that was allot for a new truck and called the dealer and they said "Normal" with break in oil. So I go buy a gallon of Rotella 5w30 for gas trucks and got ready to add oil this morning and the level shows full on the stick. I rechecked it several times with the same result.

How long do these engines need to sit to verify oil level?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I have a catch can and I catch 1 ounce per 1,000 miles. That’s how much oil is going to be lost thru your intake manifold. Unless you get a reading the is below the lower hash mark, I would not add any. When you pull the stick, look at the hash mark on each side of the stick, they will read different because the angle of the dipstick tube entry. Go with the highest reading. I do not buy the excuse that oil usage is normal, at any amount.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I check mine and have all my vehicles in the past after they have set over night. And I call b.s. on the break in oil. From all I've read for some time they don't use break in oil and haven't for awhile. Whats in your engine new is the same thing GM owners manual recommends. And after sitting over night the oil should be drained back into the pan.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No such thing as Break in oil. Per email from GM Wentzville Plant, Mobil 1 is factory fill. If you have a 17 and up V6, that has the PCV oil separator box in the valley, to capture oil blow by, and return it back into the crankcase, just as an external catch can would catch. Most of that oil in the box will drain back into the crankcase, but may take a little while.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dexos Gen 2 Approved! I've always been a Rotella fan and just found the Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. I asked the dealer which oil to top it off with and he said "Any Synthetic Oil". Lol. Didn't even mention Dexos. He said that the dealership uses AC Delco brand oil. I did check both sides of the dipstick and went with the higher reading each time.

Just am FYI on the Rotella. The local parts stores are all at [email protected] and Walmart has it for just over [email protected] and Tractor Supply has it for [email protected] I've used Rotella on my Motorcycles, trucks and lawn equipment for 30 years and I know for a fact that they stand by their products. I'm going to take the Rotella with me when I go for my first service and get them to use it.

Reactions: monteholic

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Was the truck parked in the same spot both times you checked and got different results? Obviously if it wasn't level when checked the first time and was level the second time or vice versa then you're going to get different results, but if parked in the exact same spot both times then I have no idea why it would read low after multiple hours and then read normal another day.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was the truck parked in the same spot both times you checked and got different results? Obviously if it wasn't level when checked the first time and was level the second time or vice versa then you're going to get different results, but if parked in the exact same spot both times then I have no idea why it would read low after multiple hours and then read normal another day.
I moved the truck to wash it and decided to check the oil. It's on level ground and hasn't moved since yesterday morning. If you're wondering, I work on an ambulance and got the oil while out after a run. I'm 50 miles from home and really didn't want to drive it a quart low back to civilization. Lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very cool! never knew Rotella was Dexos approved
I think only the Gas Truck Rotella is Dexos. Maybe the T6 for the diesels is too. Not sure.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I moved the truck to wash it and decided to check the oil. It's on level ground and hasn't moved since yesterday morning. If you're wondering, I work on an ambulance and got the oil while out after a run. I'm 50 miles from home and really didn't want to drive it a quart low back to civilization. Lol
Just FYI, the oil level landing within the hash marks is the normal range. If it's 3/4 down the hash marks then it's ~3/4 quart down from full, but it's not "low" and there is absolutely no problem driving the truck when it's showing 1 quart down from full. If the level were below the hash marks then you'd want to add some oil to bring it back into the normal section. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think the engine was going to blow up if the oil level wasn't perfectly full.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No such thing as Break in oil. Per email from GM Wentzville Plant, Mobil 1 is factory fill. If you have a 17 and up V6, that has the PCV oil separator box in the valley, to capture oil blow by, and return it back into the crankcase, just as an external catch can would catch. Most of that oil in the box will drain back into the crankcase, but may take a little while.
Thank you. Glad to hear this, no need for an external catch can. I will go Shell Gas truck or M1 Gold label.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts