Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I find myself aging I have started taking up the hobbies old men enjoy. One of these things is obsessively monitoring my gas mileage. I had an old 4wd 1997 F150 but got tired of turning wrenches to keep it reliable and paying for the gas so I bought a 2021 LT about 4 months ago. Been watching that gas mileage ever since.

For the last month I noticed My mpg was slowly dropping off and last week it had reached getting 3-4 mpg less than when I first bought the truck. Being as I am getting old it was really starting to get on my nerves. Then I took a long trip to watch Alabama play Arkansas this weekend. The right rear tire low air pressure sensor kicked in so I stopped and filled it up. It was down to 28 psi. I was lazy so I only did the one. Then 20 minutes later the left rear tire pressure warning came up. That forced me to stop and check them all. They were all 28 psi. They were 7 psi low on all four tires. I am guessing it was the recent air temp changes here. Got them all to 35 and low and behold my lost 3-4 mpg was no longer lost.

So just a reminder to check those tire pressures every few weeks. I am bad about doing it but think about it….I was losing about 60-70 miles a tank running low air in my tires.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado WT v6 2wd, 1”level
256 Posts
I’ve been checking tire pressures every 2 weeks with the constant changing temps it’s a small price to pay to avoiding the warning lights on cold days. Plus better to check in the garage than outside in the elements.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yep, even worce on my Harley (low pressure). FWIW, nitrogen helps w/ air pressure stability...:D

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
Just had to add 4 PSI all the way around. Cold weather

·
Registered
523 Posts
For the last month I noticed My mpg was slowly dropping off and last week it had reached getting 3-4 mpg less . I am guessing it was the recent air temp changes here. Got them all to 35 and low and behold my lost 3-4 mpg was no longer lost.
So just a reminder to check those tire pressures every few weeks.I was losing about 60-70 miles a tank running low air in my tires.
Like others have said , I also lose 3-4 mpg starting this time of year.
But it's not because of low air pressure, it's because I have to let the truck run 5 minutes to get the ice off the windows and only driving 11 total miles a day at 100% city on winter gas that kills it! :)

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If you want to look after your tires the easy way, I recommend one of these tire inflators. It's the best money I've ever spent. The chuck locks on the valve so you don't have to hold it. You just dial your pressure and it will automatically inflate each tire to the exact same pressure. I use it on my big truck at 120 psi. It will go up to 150 psi. It uses a lithium ion battery or plugs into the lighter socket. It also fits under the back seat.
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Tool
Motor vehicle Material property Font Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If you want to look after your tires the easy way, I recommend one of these tire inflators. It's the best money I've ever spent. The chuck locks on the valve so you don't have to hold it. You just dial your pressure and it will automatically inflate each tire to the exact same pressure. I use it on my big truck at 120 psi. It will go up to 150 psi. It uses a lithium ion battery or plugs into the lighter socket. It also fits under the back seat. View attachment 419028 View attachment 419029
I have a similar set up with different brand compressor, sure makes it easy to air up.

I monitor my MPG but could really care less, it's all about the right foot. I've gotten as low as 11+ and as high as 30+.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Initially I was bothered by the firmness of my seat and what I thought was low mileage. Now, I no longer think about the seat and don't give a damn about the mileage. Both are gonna be what they're gonna be. 😁

·
Registered
472 Posts
My 2018 Z71 is loosing fuel economy but it is getting colder here in Michigan. I lose 2-3 mpg from summer to winter.
Yea, blame the winter blend of gas for that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Tire pressure rule of thumb: For every 10°F drop in temperature, tire pressure will decrease 1 PSI.

If I anticipate a 30° drop in temperature in the coming weeks I'll air up the tires +3 PSI over recommended or my normal tire pressure I run. Readjust pressure this way when temperatures continue to drop.

I hate winter.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Toyota did away with the individlual low tire read outs and now just will show "low Tire Pressure"

reason is, the little old ladies would see 35-35-34-35 and want that one tire to match the rest.

I constantly check the tires in our vehicles when there is a big temp change

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tire pressure rule of thumb: For every 10°F drop in temperature, tire pressure will decrease 1 PSI.

If I anticipate a 30° drop in temperature in the coming weeks I'll air up the tires +3 PSI over recommended or my normal tire pressure I run. Readjust pressure this way when temperatures continue to drop.

I hate winter.
How dry is the climate where you live (dew points if you know them)?

I've been tinkering with this for several years, more closely over the past few months. Where I live it is back and forth (humid, dry, then humid, then dry air). A low dew point for us is approx 40 ish, very low dew point for us is in the 30's and a high dew point is in the 70's. Typical average is in the 50's, but again it fluctuates quite a lot.

In August, while on vacation in Colorado I aired down for a trail and aired back up with my Viair compressor. I don't know the what the dew point was when I did this, but it was very dry air.
My tire PSI is holding more consistent with ambient temperature fluctuations day to day than it ever has with air before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts