Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on after a short, 2 mile trip. I don‘t have a code reader. I did notice my oil pressure was much higher than normal, up to 87 psi but the Chevy diagnostics in the app said everything was ok. I‘ll call the dealership but kind of annoyed with a new truck and less than 4K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My check engine light came on after a short, 2 mile trip. I don‘t have a code reader. I did notice my oil pressure was much higher than normal, up to 87 psi but the Chevy diagnostics in the app said everything was ok. I‘ll call the dealership but kind of annoyed with a new truck and less than 4K miles on it.
Hopefully a simple fix and nothing serious. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
This can happen even on a new truck, but let them deal with it, it’s in warranty. For sure to get it documented.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
The vast majority of check engine lights are for simple items. Code readers are cheap, or you can go to just about any auto parts store and they will read it for you. I agree with 16WhiteColly - let the dealer worry about it, but be aware that if you've made any modifications to the truck that caused the code, they may charge you a fee.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Let us know what the dealer discovers and...you can go to any of the major auto store chains and have them scan codes (e.g. Auto Zone, Checker, Advance Auto, etc.).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
$20 well buy a basic code reader/reset devise. I recommend you have one in the glove box. I had 2 or 3 check engine lights in the first 200 miles with my new truck, they had to do with the stabilitrac system. Simple reset and I have not had a light since.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm sorry to say that I've had more check engine lights come on with my '15 Canyon than any other vehicle I've owned. When it was new, I did run to the dealer just to find out no codes were present. Engine light with various other messages, stabilitrac etc. , and they cleared after the first or second start-up. I don't panic seeing the light now, I might if it stays on for a couple days and multiple start-ups, otherwise its just gremlins coming out to play. Funny enough, they always seem to appear if I don't drive it for a few days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my 19 was delivered with the check engine light on, one of the shutters in the grill was dead. Stupid **** happens all the time I guess !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since it also had high oil pressure (in the 80s PSI) and I was concerned about possibly damaging it, I had it towed to the dealership. The wrecker pulled it by the rear while it was in 2WD, ie. front wheels on the ground. I hope this didn't mess up the drive or transmission system? I am going to get a code reader though. The Chevy roadside assistance was pretty responsive at least.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Since it also had high oil pressure (in the 80s PSI) and I was concerned about possibly damaging it, I had it towed to the dealership. The wrecker pulled it by the rear while it was in 2WD, ie. front wheels on the ground. I hope this didn't mess up the drive or transmission system? I am going to get a code reader though. The Chevy roadside assistance was pretty responsive at least.
Should have been flatbed towed.
The owners manual states this about towing the vehicle:
GM recommends a flatbed tow truck to transport a disabled vehicle. Use ramps to help reduce approach angles, if necessary. A towed vehicle should have its drive wheels off the ground. Contact Roadside Assistance or a professional towing service if the disabled vehicle must be towed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should have been flatbed towed.
The owners manual states this about towing the vehicle:
GM recommends a flatbed tow truck to transport a disabled vehicle. Use ramps to help reduce approach angles, if necessary. A towed vehicle should have its drive wheels off the ground. Contact Roadside Assistance or a professional towing service if the disabled vehicle must be towed.
Retrospectively agree, it was Chevy Roadside Assistance that arranged the tow.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's pretty weird since these trucks only come with one check engine light. Did you add extras?
Its the Canadian version, we have one symbol that is in English and another in French. X2 if you want to get into the metric/imperial conversion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dealership said it may be a problem with the PCM but they are still investigating, more after the weekend. I’m pretty concerned bc this is the computer brains and in short supply right now. this better not be a foreshadowing of troubles to come with this truck😠. Also the Chevy diagnostic app is useless bc it says all systems are good/green.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts