Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 Canyon and my Check Engine light has come on twice already. The first time it would not start, then started 5 minutes later. The light stayed on for a day or two but was gone by the time I had it scanned, no codes were saved. The second time the remote start wouldn't work but it would start with the key. Went straight to the shop, scan said communication error (no more detail at this time). Can't get a loaner car until Feb 3rd, they said it'll be a few days to properly diagnose.
This is unacceptable on a brand new vehicle. Certainly never had these problems with my other vehicles.
Has anyone had this problem or can comment on this issue? Thanks

Premium Member
I can comment on it. Go back to your Toyota's. Obviously your truck is a flaming piece of poo and needs to be gotten rid of immediately. Oh, and you left out "I paid $XXXXX.XX for this". 馃檮

Registered
I know of a Buick in the past that did that and all it was was a bad battery. Could even be a bad connection, before you write it off as a lemon.

Reactions: JDL24 and Firehk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know of a Buick in the past that did that and all it was was a bad battery. Could even be a bad connection, before you write it off as a lemon.
I hope it's something that simple. Leaving the truck for several days is not ideal. I was hoping it's a known/common issue that I can get some info on. Love the truck otherwise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can comment on it. Go back to your Toyota's. Obviously your truck is a flaming piece of poo and needs to be gotten rid of immediately. Oh, and you left out "I paid $XXXXX.XX for this". 馃檮
Not sure what the point of this nonsensical reply is.

Registered
What Tom S states is don't bitch about GM's on a GM site...not gonna win fans & garner assistance.

IMO, truck's under warranty so be patient & let dealer work the fix.

Premium Member
I have a 2021 Canyon and my Check Engine light has come on twice already. The first time it would not start, then started 5 minutes later. The light stayed on for a day or two but was gone by the time I had it scanned, no codes were saved. The second time the remote start wouldn't work but it would start with the key. Went straight to the shop, scan said communication error (no more detail at this time). Can't get a loaner car until Feb 3rd, they said it'll be a few days to properly diagnose.
This is unacceptable on a brand new vehicle. Certainly never had these problems with my Toyotas.
Has anyone had this problem or can comment on this issue? Thanks
Hm... Have you tried pulling the battery for 10-15mins ?

You're right, Toyotas don't have these problems, their frames just currently rot out within the warranty period and they use soy based wire insulation which rodents love.

Every vehicle manufacturers have their problems and produce certain lemons. I don't think you have one, and yours is very within warranty, so hopefully you have a good dealership that takes care of you.

Reactions: JDL24

Registered
Sounds like you do not have a very good dealer as to no loaner s for 3 weeks and I can see a couple days on diagnosing the problem with all the people that do not want to work now days

just hold on to your britches, as it will all work out, this is from a guy who's Taco frame rusted out...

Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
Communication error is like to be a bad ground. I've seen computers do it though but that's a rare occasion.

BTW. I was born chevy. I plan on dieing chevy.
Imports suck. Including yota.

Premium Member
What Tom S states is don't bitch about GM's on a GM site...not gonna win fans & garner assistance.

IMO, truck's under warranty so be patient & let dealer work the fix.
Actually what I was saying was: If such a minor and easily correctable problem can cause you such great concern and irritability, go back to what made you happy. Drama queens are such a bore.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You're right, Toyotas don't have these problems, their frames just currently rot out within the warranty period and they use soy based wire insulation which rodents love.

Every vehicle manufacturers have their problems and produce certain lemons. I don't think you have one, and yours is very within warranty, so hopefully you have a good dealership that takes care of you.
I'll try the battery tip. Thanks. I assumed it was a wire harness or something l have no experience with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you do not have a very good dealer as to no loaner s for 3 weeks and I can see a couple days on diagnosing the problem with all the people that do not want to work now days

just hold on to your britches, as it will all work out, this is from a guy who's Taco frame rusted out...
My closest dealer has zero loaner cars. I've been driving extra to get to a dealer with 3 loaners. Weird times. Thanks

Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel

Ouch!

Premium Member
I'll try the battery tip. Thanks. I assumed it was a wire harness or something l have no experience with.
New trucks are really sensitive to battery voltage with their smart charging systems and voltage sensing BCM/ECM. Hopefully pulling the battery gives it time to reset, but also ensures the battery leads are nice and tight.

Otherwise I'm not sure why it would give you/the shop a communication error when code reading.

Do you know what they used ? Or do you yourself have a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner like this one ? I use mine on every drive with torque pro as an extra set of gauges on a tablet, but it can also read codes and reset them to a certain extent. Not GM specific either, should work in any vehicle made in the last 20+ years.

Premium Member
I'm not a GM purist or anything, thinking theyre flawless/the best (bolt batteries ? 2.8l failures ? 8 speed shudder ?) but I do get tired of people posting up on how perfect another brand is while either implying, or outright saying, that GM/The twins are flawed while a Tacoma/RAM/whatever would never have those problems.

Every truck has its design flaws/problems, every OEM has its overarching problems, and every factory in the world produces a % of subpar/lemon products.

Registered
My closest dealer has zero loaner cars. I've been driving extra to get to a dealer with 3 loaners. Weird times. Thanks
The last time I had warranty work done, pre-pandemic though, the dealer put me in a rental car from Enterprise onsite. Not sure how it is now with the shortage.

Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
The last time I had warranty work done, pre-pandemic though, the dealer put me in a rental car from Enterprise onsite. Not sure how it is now with the shortage.
When I tried to get warranty on my Hyundai. They were 3 months out and no loaners.
Never buy a Hyundai again.

This was long before covid and i live in the city..

That dealer is now Chevrolet.

Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
I'm not a GM purist or anything, thinking theyre flawless/the best (bolt batteries ? 2.8l failures ? 8 speed shudder ?) but I do get tired of people posting up on how perfect another brand is while either implying, or outright saying, that GM/The twins are flawed while a Tacoma/RAM/whatever would never have those problems.

Every truck has its design flaws/problems, every OEM has its overarching problems, and every factory in the world produces a % of subpar/lemon products.

I had a Tacoma. The inherent transmission problem that Toyota knows about was hidden from the consumer. I noticed the problem. A bump after coming to a full stop like some one tapped you in the rear. While the transmission was warning up if you slowed down for a red light as you are braking the transmission shudders like your wheels rolled over some ridges on the road surface. I did some digging and found Toyota has service bulletins on how to treat this known issue only if the customer complains. They were bandaid fixes. What a joke. The same transmission was used for many years and probably to this day Toyota failed to correct the problem. Wind noise on the highway was horrible especially during cross winds. Fuel economy numbers weren't even close. I tried different octane ratings, different brands and additives. The closest I got was using straight gas (ethanol free).
I never brought the truck in for the transmission problem because I didn't want it on the carfax report. After 18 months I traded the truck for a Chevy Sonic. Toyota dissapointed me. I had a 1979 Toyota Corrolla SR5 liftback. It was reliable and seldom left me stuck on the road. 169,000 miles. Engine never quit. Toyota's best days have passed. If they made a diesel model it would be worth looking into but I'll stick with my Chevy Colorado diesel in the meantime.

Registered
I dont know what kind of dealer you are dealing with,iam fom from miami florida, twice i took my truck to the dealer under warranty, in Virginia and Las Vegas Nevada,both times i got a loaner,8 days an 21 days

1 - 20 of 29 Posts