Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an AFE GT Momentum CAI in my 2017 Colorado Z71 V6 3.6L truck. Immediately the truck shutters/rattles heavily, stablitrax light, check engine light, and my automatic start off my keychain stopped working. The ride is beyond rough. This is day 1 so still waiting on AFE to get back to me but n the meantime I thought I'd see what people here said. Thanks

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Installing the CAI has nothing to do with most of what you listed, some how you unplugged a couple engine sensors and did not plug them back in

How does it run with the hood up and the air filter cover off?or air filter removed with cover off?

Sounds like maybe the MAF sensor is not plugged in or the engine is starving for air, like the air intake to the filter is plugged

did you remove the intake plug from the air box? You shoulld have and have outside air coming in from where the oem system had air coming in

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have you read the codes for the CEL ? Those are generally very enlightening. Can be read for free at an autoparts store or there are a lot of at home amazon prime eligible OBDII code readers.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you read the codes for the CEL ? Those are generally very enlightening. Can be read for free at an autoparts store or there are a lot of at home amazon prime eligible OBDII code readers.
Read the codes. Very generic. Nothing that tells me there is a real problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installing the CAI has nothing to do with most of what you listed, some how you unplugged a couple engine sensors and did not plug them back in

How does it run with the hood up and the air filter cover off?or air filter removed with cover off?

Sounds like maybe the MAF sensor is not plugged in or the engine is starving for air, like the air intake to the filter is plugged

did you remove the intake plug from the air box? You shoulld have and have outside air coming in from where the oem system had air coming in
Everything went smooth. No issues. With hood open there is a slight hiss but apparently that is normal. Most people say theirs is louder. You get inside and feels a little bumpy while idling. Already went and cleaned the MAF. I did have to stretch the MAF sensor cable further than though. Maybe the other end is lose. I think you're on to something about the cable. I'll go check those. Would it be worth disconnecting the negative on the battery to reset the ECU?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Everything went smooth. No issues. With hood open there is a slight hiss but apparently that is normal. Most people say theirs is louder. You get inside and feels a little bumpy while idling. Already went and cleaned the MAF. I did have to stretch the MAF sensor cable further than though. Maybe the other end is lose. I think you're on to something about the cable. I'll go check those. Would it be worth disconnecting the negative on the battery to reset the ECU?
I'll bet you have a vacuum leak somewhere that you created during the install. If you check everything over really close I bet you find it.
If you don't , post up the code(s) you have.
Go ahead and clear with the battery cable off first, then when the light comes back post up the codes.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Read the codes. Very generic. Nothing that tells me there is a real problem.
And not telling us what the codes are doesn't help us help you, either...so what are the codes?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Codes P0300, P0351
P0300 is random misfire, which is obvious by the rough idle, etc, but not sure how P0351 isn't helpful. That is a code telling you there's a problem with at least one of the ignition coils, or more likely a connector that was disconnected when installing the CAI and either wasn't reconnected or isn't fully seated. Re-check every connection, especially ones related to the ECM and coils, and make sure they are all fully seated. You've overlooked something when reinstalling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

SOLVED!

Thanks buddy. I must've popped one of the cables leading to the engine when getting that damn cover off. I went around and checked every cable and found one completely disconnected but not hanging off. Plugged it in and reset the battery one last time and works like a gem. AMAZING power and acceleration difference between the OEM and this. I will never buy anything other than AFE. At least 9hp gain like the website said. At the VERY least.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Ext. Cab 2WD, V6
345 Posts
SOLVED!

Thanks buddy. I must've popped one of the cables leading to the engine when getting that damn cover off. I went around and checked every cable and found one completely disconnected but not hanging off. Plugged it in and reset the battery one last time and works like a gem. AMAZING power and acceleration difference between the OEM and this. I will never buy anything other than AFE. At least 9hp gain like the website said. At the VERY least.
Was that 9hp gain confirmed by a dyno? Very impressive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P0300 is random misfire, which is obvious by the rough idle, etc, but not sure how P0351 isn't helpful. That is a code telling you there's a problem with at least one of the ignition coils, or more likely a connector that was disconnected when installing the CAI and either wasn't reconnected or isn't fully seated. Re-check every connection, especially ones related to the ECM and coils, and make sure they are all fully seated. You've overlooked something when reinstalling.
well i found a cable leading to the engine lose. Everything i perfect now. So i guess the codes actually gave me the info i needed to solve the problem. Cable must've came lose when taking off the cover. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was that 9hp gain confirmed by a dyno? Very impressive!
Their DYNO does say that. I'm not sure maybe I'm just stoked everythign is working nicely but the acceleration and SOUND is way more than I've felt in the past. I've put these in 2 other vehicles. A 2001 Audi S4 about 15 years ago and a 2015 F150 about 5 years ago. None of them come close to matching the impact this CAI made on my Z71. Awesome product. Also the most expensive i found on the market though

·
Registered
345 Posts
Their DYNO does say that. I'm not sure maybe I'm just stoked everythign is working nicely but the acceleration and SOUND is way more than I've felt in the past. I've put these in 2 other vehicles. A 2001 Audi S4 about 15 years ago and a 2015 F150 about 5 years ago. None of them come close to matching the impact this CAI made on my Z71. Awesome product. Also the most expensive i found on the market though
Thanks for the review. Just giving you a little ribbing. Actually the Afe cai is the one I plan to install on my truck. Did you go with the dry or the oiled filter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the review. Just giving you a little ribbing. Actually the Afe cai is the one I plan to install on my truck. Did you go with the dry or the oiled filter?
After debating my buddy went with the dry and i went with the oil. I'll jump on this thread in a about a month if either feels any different but i seriously doubt it. My thought was the engine is getting more air than it used to so a little carry over from the filter might not hurt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know. Butt dyno is good enough for me! Are you going to get an exhaust as well?
Yep. Already have the twin head AFE on order. Everything I’ve read and heard from friends is if you have a Chevy or GMC AFE is the way to go. My buddy has a 2018 Vett and it’s already a beast so there’s not a lot he’s done but the few aftermarket parts he’s installed are all AFE.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
^^ yeah I hear ya. I have a 2019 Vette, I have AFE high flow cat connection pipes. I believe they are the only company that makes them (with high flow cats) and the product is very good. Its a good company. I had no idea they have products for our trucks, but good to know.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep. Already have the twin head AFE on order. Everything I’ve read and heard from friends is if you have a Chevy or GMC AFE is the way to go. My buddy has a 2018 Vett and it’s already a beast so there’s not a lot he’s done but the few aftermarket parts he’s installed are all AFE.
Please post a sound bite when you get it installed.

Reactions: Rpinaiii
1 - 19 of 19 Posts