Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of those vxscan el-50448 tool off Amazon for 12 bucks .... im guessing its just a pos and doesn't work ... i bought a set of 18" wheels and tires off a 2019 canyon and put them on my 2020 colorado and I cant get the sensors to read

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a similar cheapo one. You have to position it on the tire for it to read.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have the same one and it has worked great for years. The battery has to be very fresh for it to work. Many have people have had the same results.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been putting it in the correct spot like shown ... the battery im using isn't brand new but it does have enough juice to fry my tongue when I checked it ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll go buy a brand new battery and if that doesn't work ill goto a shop and see if they can do it that way I know if its the tool or my sensors that are already in the 2019 canyon rims

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
What I found worked is moving it from the rim area near the tire stem to the tread area and back again. It took a few tries to get the hang of it where I could do four tires without screwing up.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon CC 4X4, 2020 Chevy Z71 CC 2WD
434 Posts
My research showed to buy the orange colored model, which I did and it has worked flawlessly for a year. I have to reset my sensors after every tire rotation because the dealer and tire ships around me aren't smart enough to complete this task on their own!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
114 Posts
Mines a cheap amazon neon green one (i think it was $19 at the time of purchase bit it does gm and fords which i believe might also work on mazda. Since we have mazdas in the fam I just went with this one just in the off chance someone wants to upgrade those rims, but its still not tested since I'm still waiting to get my rims back from powdering). As a funny note when I had taken my truck in to the dealer several months back, while I was getting checked in, I spotted the exact same tool sitting on the desk of the guy who was checking me in. Hopefully thats a good sign that I wont have issues when it comes time to pair mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the orange one, works fine for me. As mentioned above, it's a little tricky hitting the 'sweet spot' to get it to trigger but once I figured that out I have no issues with it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There is a new TPMS after some production date late 2019. If your Canyon wheels are before that, you could have the wrong sensors. I put a set of wheels from another truck on mine, installed with the correct TPMSs, and used the cheap Amazon tool, and had no problems (once I found a 9v battery with some juice). I put up a thread back around March or so with the part number you need.

Edit: Here you go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a new TPMS after some production date late 2019. If your Canyon wheels are before that, you could have the wrong sensors. I put a set of wheels from another truck on mine, installed with the correct TPMSs, and used the cheap Amazon tool, and had no problems (once I found a 9v battery with some juice). I put up a thread back around March or so with the part number you need.

Edit: Here you go.
I bet thats the issue ... im gonna put my sensors off my 16 inch wheels on the new ones ... thx

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bet thats the issue ... im gonna put my sensors off my 16 inch wheels on the new ones ... thx
It's gotten just about zero attention so far. There aren't a ton of trucks out there yet, and fewer that are buying complete additional sets of wheels or other sorts of things requiring/recieving correct TPMS attention. I actually bought the wrong sensors the first time, and fortunately they were all completely defective (didn't work at all, not just my truck). Somehow in searching for replacements, I stumbled on the Schrader part numbers, and from there found out the story. Good luck. Follow up so we know how it turns out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do , I called the shop I sold my stock rims and tires too they still have my sensors and are gonna trade me the ones in my 18s for the original ones in my 16s

1 - 20 of 22 Posts