Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
Figured out some wiring tonight and started cutting out the parking pass nonsense for a switch install that will control 1) my mini no name light bar 2) my Baja Designs Squadron Pro-R lights.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Also. I ignored the 5 pin and went for lead ground and positive... they will light up when in use only...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
My @BajaDesigns squadron-r sae (highway approved) fog lights show up Monday and I will be moving my squadron-r pros to the light bar. Still waiting on the replacement moi light bar to show up...

Also arriving Monday is an aev rear diff skid plate. @F8LZ71 showed his scared rear diff so I figured its best to avoid the one hit that would ruin the drain plug.

I've been slacking on getting my rear facing light mounted and wired, so busy at work right now and dead tired when I get home, but I'll have some more wiring projects coming up.

Also have projector headlights to install. A whole project in the works with an hid conversion retrofitsource lenses, drl relocation and such.. it's a little overwhelming but it will get done in due time, just need to order lenses and one more harness and do the research on how the 68 different plugs go together.

Really I just wanna get out and go camping. Le sigh. Happy trails for now all...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Got the switch and plate almost installed after some measuring and re mreasuring, dremeling and re dremeling... my shop is a mess with lighting stuff. My current state of affairs pictured...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Today I finished installing the switch panel, and wired up the second switch to be used for the two outside lights I'll be adding to the front light bar.... I like the end result.
Here is the switch...

For what its worth. Pictured above you can see how I used a white wire to fish the wiring up to where the switches live... this made quick work of that step, I forgot to mention that.

I got the relay and everything set to move the squadron-r pros to the light bar while swapping them for the sae version in the original fog light location.

For the first time I used the wire connectors that you heat up and they not only shrink seal but soldier the wires together. The work damn good! I used a few for practice to test them out, a lighter worked on the smaller ones, but I used a welding torch on the larger connectors I actually used... they are pretty slick indeed.

Regarding the switch and the BD lights, the spade connectors were too large on the switch to fit the provided harness from BD. The wire connectors on their harness are just a hair smaller than the switch would accept. I was able to quickly fix this with a dremel and remove enough material to make it work. I love having a dremel I must say... I bought it a few months back and I have no idea why I waited so long.

I'll photos tomorrow of the completed project.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Using a computer to write this up instead of my phone. Should be helpful...
Today, rainy day, truck day.

Again, transferring BD Squadron Pro-(r)ound lights to the Midwest overland light bar, and installing BD Squadron-R SAE (highway legal) lights in their place. That went pretty smoothly, may have to aim later.

After that I installed the AEV Rear diff skid, took about 15 minutes, pretty easy. Put a little assembly lube on the bolts and got in lined up and bolted in. SOLID.

After I starting laying out the Morimoto harness and HID ballasts and more I got from a member here on the forums. Along with Gen5 DIY harness that will move the day time running lights from the low beams to the parking lights.

I also got the OEM projectors removed from the ZR 1 2 3 4... 7. (just a joke). Headlights I bought from another forum member here... this is going to be the main part of my post for those interested. Some photos of the AEV and AUX lighting to start.

First peeling the fender liner back after removing 5 t-15 bolts.
Cut away my insulation and unplugged the fog harness from the adapter - OEM plug.
After I removed the fascia for the fog light - oops, I actually didn't need to do that. I removed the light after from inside the liner area in front of the tire...

I swapped removed the bracket and reverse the lens and cover. Removed the lens and cover from the new SAE lights and did the same, the lights sit upside down in the bumper. So both new lights and old lights had to be flipped around.

Installed the brackets on each light, I did one side at a time, and added some wiring insulation. Re-installed the new fogs and bolted the new lights to the light bar. I had already done the wiring the last new days so it was just plug and play today. It went smooth. Testing, testing.... 123 CHECK CHECK. All the lights worked. Doggo helped all day, dodging hail and rain and calmly listening to thunder in the distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Laying out the harness. This was honestly a little confusing at first.

There was an extra harness that just didn't seem to go to anything, because it doesn't.
With the Morimoto HID kit and harnesses, you only use one side of the factory outputs ( plug going into the light itself ). FIRST PHOTO

There is an inline capacitor that will eliminate error codes on the truck, my basket of stuff came with two, along with another adapter that wasn't needed. After some research on Morimoto's website I figured all this out.. I removed the un-needed wiring and sealed the holes with hot glue.

SO. The order of operations, OEM light OUTPUT (where bulb connects) goes to ADAPTER, goes to CAPACITOR harness, then to the relay harness. Relay Harness goes to each ballast. BALLAST to Light. Capacitor and Relay Harness have a ground. Relay harness also has a hot wire to Positive terminal. Inline on the back of each headlight you have the main light harness, this is the plug from the truck to the headlight assembly. This is where my inline Gen5 DIY relay harness will go to relocate the DRL's to the parking lights, so the HID aren't running on half power, because they don't like that... won't last long.

I tested the whole assembly once I figured it out, and after reversing the connection ( polarity ) on the adapter, and holding the loose positive and grounds in place, I hit the unlock and the HID fired up in all its bright glory. I didn't get a picture of this spread across my engine bay, because well, I didn't have a third hand to do that.

Excited to button this one up after the next parts wave.
Requires removing my light bar and lights, (plug and play + 4 bolts) and then the bumper cover, then the OEM LT reflector headlights. Going to be a big day to really finish this one, possibly two days. It won't be done for a few weeks if not longer... but its excited to be on the path to real headlights...

I still need to source the actually projector lenses from TRS - and will also buy a hi/lo beam splitter harness...
then we'll figure out the rest gang...

Questions, just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)
My wife and I are heading back to the best place I could think of to social distance without any crowds for the weekend doing what we want to do... The Eastern Sierra.

I plan to do two routes, one of which I've done part of before but went a different way half way though so one half will be all new...

Both combined should make for about 50 miles of dirt. It's not the most challenging terrain per say but 4 low will be needed at times I know for sure. There should be lots of creek crossings, maybe some snow, high elevation aspen trees and pines and some ghost town structures to see. The highlight should be a 10000ft elevation, view of the Sweetwater Mountains and of course... the stars.

I'm excited to test out the camp shower. And camp for the only the second this year. Pictures of the first spur.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Made it back to civilization. Such a great journey. Last night was way warmer than the night before as we moved to the leeward side of the Sweetwater mountains... the truck performed well. My rear leafs or shackles are squeaky as all hell now though.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Received my morimoto 4TL-R projectors early as they were listed as back ordered until late next month. Also ordered the hi-beam splitters. The projectors were supposed to come with a little harness that connects to the splitters but the harness didn't have the right pins and was just a raw set of wires so to speak.

The retrofit source had excellent customer service and sourced and shipped what I needed at no charge (they list them at $15.00).

I just need to get a handful of washers and once I have the wires with pins for the plug assembly I'll be set for final assembly on of the projector in the headlight assembly. Time permitting I need to then remove my light bar and lights and then the bumper cover, followed by my factory lights assembly and install and reassemble. Its a whole mess of wiring and will be a feat to arrange it all nicely but it will get done... excited for this one. Also a little worried as the ballast will live under the headlight assembly and to change them the whole shebang will need to be taken apart again. I tested one ballast and hid so far and it worked well. Will test it all before I start the full install just to be sure.

Should be a fun one though and huge lighting upgrade that will be super useful and really set my truck apart from others. I'm excited. I'll take some photos of the install when it happens and the assembly of the headlights when it happens later this week hopefully.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Received my morimoto 4TL-R projectors early as they were listed as back ordered until late next month. Also ordered the hi-beam splitters. The projectors were supposed to come with a little harness that connects to the splitters but the harness didn't have the right pins and was just a raw set of wires so to speak.

The retrofit source had excellent customer service and sourced and shipped what I needed at no charge (they list them at $15.00).

I just need to get a handful of washers and once I have the wires with pins for the plug assembly I'll be set for final assembly on of the projector in the headlight assembly. Time permitting I need to then remove my light bar and lights and then the bumper cover, followed by my factory lights assembly and install and reassemble. Its a whole mess of wiring and will be a feat to arrange it all nicely but it will get done... excited for this one. Also a little worried as the ballast will live under the headlight assembly and to change them the whole shebang will need to be taken apart again. I tested one ballast and hid so far and it worked well. Will test it all before I start the full install just to be sure.

Should be a fun one though and huge lighting upgrade that will be super useful and really set my truck apart from others. I'm excited. I'll take some photos of the install when it happens and the assembly of the headlights when it happens later this week hopefully.

Unfortunately 4tl-r will be getting discontinued in the near future according to some. So we'll have to find another drop in replacement, or do a more in depth install with another projector.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
Installed some diode dynamic interior lights today. They had a sale and I bit... nice and bright. Before my last trip I also added the cupholder heros throughout the truck, basically aimed to stop the rattling from anything I'd put in the various storage spots. They hoenstly worked really well and I'm happy I spent the money on them. I'm sure they help slightly with audio as well.

In other news I got a replacement midwest overland industries light bar and its the exact same as what I have, despite them saying it was a one off problem so to speak. So I'll just have to live with the asymmetrical bar which for the price is kind of annoying but its still a sweet product.

Starting to price out some toppers, caps and or camper shells as we have a kiddo inbound and the dog will need a cozy cabin still since she's being kicked out of the back seat come December. Can't find squat used...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Installed some diode dynamic interior lights today. They had a sale and I i bit... nice and bright. Before my last trip I also added the cupholder heros throughout the truck, basically aimed to stop the rattling from anything I'd put in the various storage spots. They hoenstly worked really well and I'm happy I spent the money on them. I'm sure they help slightly with audio as well.

In other news I got a replacement midwest overland industries light bar and its the exact same as what I have, despite them saying it was a one off problem so to speak. So I'll just have to live with the asymmetrical bar which for the price is kind of annoying but its still a sweet product.

Starting to price out some toppers, caps and or camper shells as we have a kiddo inbound and the dog will need a cozy cabin still since she's being kicked out of the back seat come December. Can't kind squat used...

Congrats on the impending kid, that's gonna count as a mod right? Love all the effort you've put into the bed rack and figuring out a system only to have to get a topper. :ROFLMAO: Oh well, so goes life and now we get to see what fun stuff you do with THAT!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Thanks! Exicting times indeed...

I do like the rack honestly its very versatile. I figure when I get a toppe,r however, I will order it with roof tracks and then buy the rest of the crossbar stuff cheaper, since I can get good prices on that type of stuff..

I figure I can keep the basket and pelican box set up that way and still be able to haul the shower and paddle boards and such...

I'm not sure about the ammo boxes just yet but can hopefully keep those in place as well and do flip up side windows for access on a new topper if and when I order one. If i lose the boxes it's not the end of the world though... I'll make some other lockbox storage if that happens.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Congrats on the impending kid, that's gonna count as a mod right? Love all the effort you've put into the bed rack and figuring out a system only to have to get a topper. Oh well, so goes life and now we get to see what fun stuff you do with THAT!
Def a mod haha. Im currently looking into back seat mirrors and car seats.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
50 Posts
If you were in SoCal you'd have plenty of used shells to chose from. I have found every color. Except black, which is why mine is new. :ROFLMAO:

And congrats on the new mod, I mean kid!

201 - 219 of 219 Posts