Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finally got around to installing the datin metal fabrication center console molle pieces I've been sitting on for awhile...

Few tips if you want to install these or something similar...

Hold the piece up and mark your drill points before pulling the trim off.

The center console trim pieces simply just pull off... easiest to start near the seat and work forward imo.

Don't use overly large hardware as there is only a handful of space behind some areas of the trim cover pieces...

Now I need to measure the space and find the appropriate sized bags for a little added storage, can't roll around with a pistol mounted here in CA.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
These are amazing, just ordered a pair. Hopefully can grab some bed panels in the future too. Fantastic find, love the whole rig!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
These are amazing, just ordered a pair. Hopefully can grab some bed panels in the future too. Fantastic find, love the whole rig!
Thanks buddy!

I love reading though all the build threads here, fun to know somebody read mine. =)

Ed a Datin was really kind to me and offered great customer service as well.

I will say, since you're attaching a straight molle steel cut out to a slightly curved piece of plastic trim, the trim will curve out near the highest part, it's not enough to be super obvious or bothersome in anyway, but it is ever so noticeable if you do one side at a time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Heck yeah man, I've been following closely since I joined 2 months ago! I love how you go really in-depth into your decision making as well as let us see glimpses of these super functional rigs out and about. As someone new to the game, it's super educational and inspiring to see what these trucks can be.

I left a comment on my Datin order letting them know I was coming via your build thread, dunno if they'll know your forum name or not. You think trimming the spacers might be possible to account for the curve? I velcro mounted my CB yesterday and discovered there isn't a flat panel anywhere in the damn cab...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Heck yeah man, I've been following closely since I joined 2 months ago! I love how you go really in-depth into your decision making as well as let us see glimpses of these super functional rigs out and about. As someone new to the game, it's super educational and inspiring to see what these trucks can be.

I left a comment on my Datin order letting them know I was coming via your build thread, dunno if they'll know your forum name or not. You think trimming the spacers might be possible to account for the curve? I velcro mounted my CB yesterday and discovered there isn't a flat panel anywhere in the damn cab...
You'd be better off probably bending the panels a little bit to curve with the trim I think. Again its just barely doesnt tuck back under the above trim piece, it's totally loveable but I did notice it and after dremeling the bolt ends and some plastic its definitely due to the molle panel being straight and attached to the curved trim piece. Maybe I'd you used added washer you can maintain the curve better against the trim? I'll just live with the few mm difference though.

I've sent datin some photos of my bed panel molles and they used them on their site. I love the ammo boxes and use them a lot. These are definitely good for a cb for the interior btw.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Got the little bags for the molle panels and they are perfect! Perfect spot for the phone and wallet since the door card pockets kind of suck! And only about 16 bucks for the pair. Got a black one on the driver's side, wife called the brown one for her side...

Lots of mud on the mats from the road above...
20200330_150936.jpg

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Planning to build a abs solar shower, about 4 gallons, should cost under $100... rei has a good guide diy if interested.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Started on the solar shower, should finish today if the silicone cures, should be good by later today. Should hold roughly 3.75 gallons - 4g. Have to do the final measurements still.

Schrader valves allows you to pressurize the system, I do need to find the right hose still but I'm excited! Something short... 7 ft would be plenty.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Finished. It holds pressure, does leak a tad from the fill cap even with plumbers tape, when under pressure. It doesn't leak any water just air with added pressure, so I know I glued it right. Waterproof grease helped more than the tape... it doesnt leak enough to hinder performance though, we now have a shower, with pressure! The water pressure deal works quite well honestly. I am stoked on the final product.. now just need a window for real use. Not sure when that will be, but I know I'll put this to use.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I realized I can get weathertech stuff at wholesale pricing through a vender of mine so I ordered some in-channel side window visors. I've never had them on a vehicle and have always wanted them.
Still working on installing my old light bar and drive lights...

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
That shower tube is rad!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
That shower tube is rad!
Thanks, it's only about $100 to build... I got the kayak pads for a better support and the 10ft hose to go with it now, almost bought a 5ft hose that would've been too short I think.

Haven't actually mounted it yet. Other than bringing the 10ft piece of abs home from the hardware store. We may get out next weekend pending we figure out a place to go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've read your entire build thread and got some great ideas from it. Well done!

Love the shower reservoir! I may build one of these. I even found the REI DIY page you referenced and shared it with a couple camping friends I know who are stuck at home looking for projects.

You could even take it a step further if you wanted and install a pressure gauge and temperature gauge to help dial in that perfect end of day shower :D

Hella Supertones have been in my Amazon cart for over a year, I just can't decide how I want to install them... You confirmed that they fit in the factory location, my other thought was behind the grille (I have a Canyon) because these horns are apparently most effective when facing forward. I'm hesitant on removing the front end assembly though so we'll see. Glad to hear they are louder than the stock horns. I struggle with distracted drivers too, to the point where I installed a dashcam for extra idiot insurance.

Keep the great ideas coming. Cheers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I've read your entire build thread and got some great ideas from it. Well done!

Love the shower reservoir! I may build one of these. I even found the REI DIY page you referenced and shared it with a couple camping friends I know who are stuck at home looking for projects.

You could even take it a step further if you wanted and install a pressure gauge and temperature gauge to help dial in that perfect end of day shower :D

Hella Supertones have been in my Amazon cart for over a year, I just can't decide how I want to install them... You confirmed that they fit in the factory location, my other thought was behind the grille (I have a Canyon) because these horns are apparently most effective when facing forward. I'm hesitant on removing the front end assembly though so we'll see. Glad to hear they are louder than the stock horns. I struggle with distracted drivers too, to the point where I installed a dashcam for extra idiot insurance.

Keep the great ideas coming. Cheers.
Dash cam for me is a must I've caught multiple close calls on mine.

I have the hella horns on my forester facing forward behind the grill and they are indeed louder compared to where I have them in the Colorado. Noticeably so, but they are still louder than factory in the factory location so that's good enough for me, for now.
Honestly the front bumper is really easy to take off and put on if you wanted to mount them forward facing, just lay out a big moving blanket or the like under and go to work on the t15 bolts and push pins. I think it takes like 15 to 20 minutes to remove...

Thanks for reading and responding. Cheers!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #195 (Edited)
Well received the Midwest Overland Industries winch bumper, light bar mount yesterday... going to give you all some good impressions and bad here...

The good;

Its stout, the hardware was spot on and it took all of 10 minutes to install. I like the size. I like that it came powder coated. The modulation factor of mounting the bar to the bumper is sweet.

The bad;

The powder coat color is a little on the light side.
The worst thing to note however is that the tabs which are welded on are NOT symmetrical and appear to be "eyed out" in terms of measuring to weld them on. It makes things look fairly uneven. The outer most tabs are two different distances from the outermost part of the bar and the inner tabs are two different distances from the center of the bar. I could correct the position of the small light bar I have to install in the center but not the outer two lights I plan to run.

For the price tag I expected these to be within a few millimeters of each other. I contact moi via their website and Instagram today and asked for a replacement because to me, for this price tag, the variance is unacceptable. If they decline I will still keep the bar but leave reviews where I can noting the quality which I find to be subpar. I love the bumper and the bar is a great piece that is an easy bolt on... but yeah. See the photos.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Heard back from moi via Instagram and without question they agreed to send another bar and offered color matching it a bit more to my bumper which I had locally powder coated.

Super pleased with their customer service!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)
Moi offered to let me hang onto the bar for now as they are a few weeks out on a replacement. I decided to complete the install of my mini light bar, it's small but nice and bright... I used a vice and a crescent wrench to bend the blue sea fuse block add on to better fit with the positive terminal cover... albeit I still Dremelled the cover some.. I already had the fuse block expander and found this route cheaper and easier than using the extra fuse ports that are available. It also let me clean up the positive wire that goes to the relay for my Hella horns, and left me two more ports for other lights that are in-bound in coming months.

I still need to decide on a switch and where to put it, so for now the switch for the light bar is loose in the cab, and I used one I just had sitting around.

This took about 2 hours. Regarding the firewall I just decided to poke a hole in the rubber grommet for my pass though, mostly due to the fact my drill battery needed to be charged and I didn't want to wait.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
@Discount Tire forgot to reprogram my tpm sensors so I picked up a tool from Amazon and did it myself. Worked great, just had to barrow a battery from a smoke alarm for a minute.. like $12 before the battery which is now on my grocery list. Ha

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
50 Posts
Great build so far, and lots of useful information! I've had a Fumoto on all my vehicles for a while now and love them, I'll definitely be adding one to my Colorado.

I'm jealous of your beautiful NorCal scenery. Most of what we have here is desert.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Great build so far, and lots of useful information! I've had a Fumoto on all my vehicles for a while now and love them, I'll definitely be adding one to my Colorado.

I'm jealous of your beautiful NorCal scenery. Most of what we have here is desert.
Its pretty easy to get out for me, hour hour and half and I'm alone. I do love the desert too though pretty endless fun to be had. Can be brutal in coming months though. Thanks for the support. More coming soon...

181 - 200 of 219 Posts