Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was 6 reported thefts of catalytic converters where I live this weekend. All of them off mini vans. They were mostly in drug store parking lots. People would park, be in the store for 20 minutes or so, and then come out and start the car and crap their pants because it was so loud.

What is in a catalytic converter to make it worth stealing? I have never heard of them being stolen before. All the copper must be gone or locked up so they have found something new to steal.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
cat converters are super expensive. this has been happening for a little while now actually.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
They use platinum in converters.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
So are these things being stolen for the platnum on the inside or for cheep parts at disreputable garages to get vehicles passing their emmissions test again.

We don't have emmissions tests here so I don't really know how that whole thing shakes down but I picture:

Garage - you need a new cat to pass the emmissions test or you can't register this thing.
Customer - OK, How much?
G - $$$$.$$
C - [email protected]#*&^%, are you kidding me?
G - well I might be able to get you a slightly used "take off" from another vehicle and get you back on the road again for about half what a new one would cost.
C - Lets do that.

Or are these things being torn down and sent to the jewelry industry.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
burn said:
They use platinum in converters.
I was wondering why all the rappers' breath smell of exhaust fumes...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no emmissions test her in Michigan. The itneresting things is that there were 6 stolen in Lansing then the next day there was 4 reported stolen in Jackson which is about 30 miles away. Sounds like it may have been someone passing through the area or something.

I think it would be pretty damn funny to watch some soccer mom get in her mini van after a quick stop at the drug store and see her face when she starts her van and it sounds like something out of Nascar. The look would be priceless.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Catalytic converters are typically sold to scrap metal reclamation places just like copper. So it doesn't matter if a state has emissions or not.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
They are getting $100.00 for each cat here mainly ones off Honda's

Police are watching the scrap yards very close.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Where my wife works they have 2 Colorado's for delivery trucks. The cats have been stolen from both of them twice! She works in a business park and there isn't much lighting in the parking lot. They now have employees drive them home every night.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hewey19 said:
It takes guts. I wouldn't be grabbing one after someone just shut their car off.

True cat knappin' gangstas wear oven mits, obviously.

It does take some guts though.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This reminded me of a funny story I heard, this guy was changing his oil and reached up for the filter and his forehead touched the exhaust pipe and the reaction from that was to jurk your head back and we know what happend then, the reaction from the back of your head hitting the ground was back up to the hot pipe and so on...... :lol: he said this went back a forth about three time before it took all he had to stop and get out from under his car,

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
rangerbob said:
Catalytic converters are typically sold to scrap metal reclamation places just like copper. So it doesn't matter if a state has emissions or not.
Cool, that is what I was wondering.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The manifold cat is useless for recycling fee, only like $30-45... The one under the truck is prolly fetching close to $100 due to more precious metal in there.

Rhodium, Palladium, Platinum.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yep they use a battery powered sawzal and it takes about 1 min if you're good. Keep An eye out tundra owners yours go for about 3000 a pop. Same for you honda ridgelines!! Saw it on the news, Crazy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They caught the 2 guys they think were doing this. They had a Dewalt Sawzall and some oven mits.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quick everyone get there trucks bagged. Cant reach up under something sitting on the ground.

stocklook said:
This reminded me of a funny story I heard, this guy was changing his oil and reached up for the filter and his forehead touched the exhaust pipe and the reaction from that was to jurk your head back and we know what happend then, the reaction from the back of your head hitting the ground was back up to the hot pipe and so on...... :lol: he said this went back a forth about three time before it took all he had to stop and get out from under his car,
I was changing the oil in my old Solstice and I sneezed. Head flew back and slammed concrete and then jerked back up and hit forehead on crossmember. That hurt for a couple days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts