Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 2WD, V6
99 Posts
Granted I was told this by the salesman, take it with a grain of salt. When I go back for my break in oil change I’ll ask the service & parts department.
He may have been telling you the truth. I just found this article on the subject.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would be wonderful. I thought it was a hardware problem not a software issue. If it’s a simple update I don’t know why it hasn’t been installed from the start. BMW has had Bluetooth CarPlay for years now...
It's not just bluetooth that is needed for Carplay. You need bluetooth and wifi. Bluetooth is only used for the initial pairing of the device to the vehicle each time the vehicle is turned on, then it is handed off to a private, hidden wifi network used to exchange data between the phone and the vehicle. Wifi is a requirement because the amount of data that needs to be exchanged is too much for just bluetooth alone to handle. All that being said, I believe all the GM vehicles with the new infotainment systems have wifi built-in. These dongles work whether the vehicle has the required components or not because the dongle itself communicates to your phone over BT and wifi and just passes that data on over the wire to the wired factory carplay recevier.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm fairly certain I read that there will be no updates for older vehicles (whether they have the requisite equipment or not). The cynic in me says, "Duh! Gotta make people buy the new models! Can't support existing customers and engender customer loyalty for zero added cost! That would be... Smart."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are they going to add that at the same time as Homelink, Rain Sense Wipers and a Sunroof option. LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm fairly certain I read that there will be no updates for older vehicles (whether they have the requisite equipment or not). The cynic in me says, "Duh! Gotta make people buy the new models! Can't support existing customers and engender customer loyalty for zero added cost! That would be... Smart."
At the very least they could offer it as additional cost and let the customer decide if it’s worth it. That’s what Mazda does/did with CarPlay updates in older models. But then again that was an entire retrofit of the head unit.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts