Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the carplay2air and have the same issues with connecting. I got a usb extension cable with on/off switch so I can easily reset it after I start the truck. Just needs to be for data and power. After resetting it it will usually connect right away as usual. I imagine the relay with delay will work fine. I have another issue where the audio gets distorted but I think it is because I have an older phone.

RIITOP USB Extension Cable with ON/Off Switch USB Male to Female Cable Support (Data and Power) for USB Headset, LED Strips(2-Pack) Amazon.com: RIITOP USB Extension Cable with ON/Off Switch USB Male to Female Cable Support (Data and Power) for USB Headset, LED Strips(2-Pack): Home Audio & Theater
My audio was sketchy for a while, but when I updated my dongle over the air last time, seems to be better. I also have one of those usb power on offf switches. I’m using it to test the 10 second delay theory before I open the dash and install a permanent delay switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The issue is that you need reliability for this to useful. If the dongle doesn’t connect, you’re stuck, the phone doesn’t connect because you’re not using Bluetooth direct to the truck and not using the CarPlay cable. You have to use the phone non hands free.

at least when you use the cable and the rare instance it doesn’t load CarPlay, the Bluetooth will give you hands free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I have a 2020 Colorado. I have two dongles carplay2air and carlinkit 2. I’ve gotten both to work with infotainment 3. Can’t quit get it dialed in to recognize the device every time. But when it does connect it is nearly flawless and does exactly what it is supposed to do. It connects almost every time with a cold start, first thing in the morning. But if I have a quick run into the store and back out, forget about it.
Can you shed some light on how you got yours to work? I plug mine in, nothing shows up on the display in the Colorado, when I look for the device in my bluetooth settings on my phone, I don't see it there either. From my experience with using it in my 14 Explorer, once you select the carplay icon on the infotainment screen a generic "boot screen" will display instructing you to connect to the device name in your bluetooth settings. Mine isn't doing that in the Canyon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you shed some light on how you got yours to work? I plug mine in, nothing shows up on the display in the Colorado, when I look for the device in my bluetooth settings on my phone, I don't see it there either. From my experience with using it in my 14 Explorer, once you select the carplay icon on the infotainment screen a generic "boot screen" will display instructing you to connect to the device name in your bluetooth settings. Mine isn't doing that in the Canyon...
I can’t figure it out. I left it plugged in one day for ten minutes while I drove and suddenly, I got the pairing screen. Maybe I was away from home and WiFi interference? I don’t know. I now allow the MyChevy to connect the phone via Bluetooth. I went into the phone settings and checked “allow anothe
r Bluetooth device.” This seems to allow it first to connect to my infotainment in case I get a phone call or want to stream audio, then my Apple CarPlay typically connects within a minute or two from a cold start in the morning. Every now a then, from a hot start, a two minute dash into a store, I have to unplug and replug the dongle to get it to connect to my phone again. I still can’t figure it all out. I do know it can and will work if you have patience and are willing to fiddle with the settings for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What years is yours, will work on 18 and older but not 19 and up

·
Registered
11 Posts
What years is yours, will work on 18 and older but not 19 and up
My Colorado is 2020...the latest infotainment system. I’ve gotten both the carplay2air dongle and the carlinkit dongle to work. They are freaky at first. Best thing is to go into WiFi and forget all your automatic WiFi connections to create less interference. You might do the same for Bluetooth. The plug and unplug the device, give it five or so minutes to locate the Bluetooth, then it should ask you to pair the device. If the pairing is successful, it will the. Connect to your WiFi on the phone. If you get the connection, open the user manual and use the code or type in the 192.168.50.2 in the safari browser to update the dongle to the latest software. I swear, it seem the more that I use this thing the more it learns or the infotainment learns how to work together. I have a few hiccups still, but I’m pleased with my purchase now. I wasn’t before and almost sent it back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Sounds like from the response in general the CarPlay may not bring joy to the users. It's awesome that folks have been sharing experience with the device. Seems the CarPlay folks are not very responsive or not providing good will to customers. Hopefully someone in there marketing group will pick up on all the post here and make improvements in both the product and customer service.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like from the response in general the CarPlay may not bring joy to the users. It's awesome that folks have been sharing experience with the device. Seems the CarPlay folks are not very responsive or not providing good will to customers. Hopefully someone in there marketing group will pick up on all the post here and make improvements in both the product and customer service.
Well they aren’t in the US, I doubt they follow these pages much.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think that did what you think it did....

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Colorado is 2020...the latest infotainment system. I’ve gotten both the carplay2air dongle and the carlinkit dongle to work. They are freaky at first. Best thing is to go into WiFi and forget all your automatic WiFi connections to create less interference. You might do the same for Bluetooth. The plug and unplug the device, give it five or so minutes to locate the Bluetooth, then it should ask you to pair the device. If the pairing is successful, it will the. Connect to your WiFi on the phone. If you get the connection, open the user manual and use the code or type in the 192.168.50.2 in the safari browser to update the dongle to the latest software. I swear, it seem the more that I use this thing the more it learns or the infotainment learns how to work together. I have a few hiccups still, but I’m pleased with my purchase now. I wasn’t before and almost sent it back.
So I was ready to claim that you were full of sh** but alas I was able to get this sort of working on Saturday on my 2020 GMC Canyon. So to recap, the issue I was experiencing is that the infotainment system when carplay was selected and the carplay2air dongle was plugged in, was not recognized. Since I had previously used this dongle in my former vehicle (14 Ford Explorer Sport) I knew what it was supposed to do which was show a very basic boot screen that allows you to select your phone through bluetooth (wireless carplay works by first setting up a BT connection then a wifi connection between the head unit and your phone). This screen was not even being shown on the Canyon when carplay was selected. So the tip about clearing your wifi connection and blueooth connections isn't even needed since it wasn't even getting to the point. So on Saturday, I had to run into town for a few errands (about 30 min drive) and so I decided I would plug it in and let it sit see if it ever came on. I drove about 30 min, went into the store, came back out, started the truck and within a couple of minutes it popped up. I was shocked. I selected my phone on the bootup screen, accepted the pairing request on my phone, then accepted the "allow use of carplay when locked" on my phone and the carplay screen popped up on the unit. It worked great all day through several turn-offs of the ignition. Then on Sunday...it wouldn't work again. I made a few short trips (under 10 minutes) to run some errands and it would never show up on the screen.

So, I don't know, its possible but its not reliable right now. Maybe a future update will make it better. I'll update the post if I find out anything more. The dongle did have an update on it when I checked on Saturday but I didn't risk updating it since it was working at the time. If I can get it to work again, I will try updating it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great info, please keep us posted. Thx.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I ordered the CarLinkIt2 device, and tried it out yesterday for the first time.

I tried to set it up in my driveway, but I live in the mountains, and there are precisely zero bars from any cell service provider, and WiFi is very tenuous out there. I plugged it in, and nothing I did would even get it to power up. Never saw a bluetooth signal on my phone, etc. Brick.

I had some things to do before I went down to the flats, so I just left it plugged in thinking maybe something might be different if the truck were full on and driving. I don't know... I got down to the flats, and nothing. Still no lights, no bluetooth devices, etc. I did my business on the first errand, and no change. After the second errand, suddenly I saw a red light. I looked for it on my phone, and found it. I pulled over, paired it, and everything worked. I did the software update (it was already up to date), and it worked just fine.

So it was a complete brick until I had spent some time down in cell service land, then it worked the one time it's had an opportunity to work. I won't get a chance for a second trial until Thursday. My guess at this point is that it needed to phone home for some reason maybe? Unless it used the cellular antenna on the truck without my having paid for whatever service is needed for it to be active (remember, no cell service up here, so what's the point?), it seems odd they'd put something like that in just to phone home on startup...

I'll have a second data point next time I go anywhere. Assuming the initial brick state was as suspected, and will not be an issue going forward, it worked well. I didn't notice any lag, the time it initially worked was well AFTER turning on the truck (no 10-second window issue). Fingers crossed. If it works and proves stable, I'll have to figure out a way to hide it in the dash somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the CarLinkIt2 device, and tried it out yesterday for the first time.

I tried to set it up in my driveway, but I live in the mountains, and there are precisely zero bars from any cell service provider, and WiFi is very tenuous out there. I plugged it in, and nothing I did would even get it to power up. Never saw a bluetooth signal on my phone, etc. Brick.

I had some things to do before I went down to the flats, so I just left it plugged in thinking maybe something might be different if the truck were full on and driving. I don't know... I got down to the flats, and nothing. Still no lights, no bluetooth devices, etc. I did my business on the first errand, and no change. After the second errand, suddenly I saw a red light. I looked for it on my phone, and found it. I pulled over, paired it, and everything worked. I did the software update (it was already up to date), and it worked just fine.

So it was a complete brick until I had spent some time down in cell service land, then it worked the one time it's had an opportunity to work. I won't get a chance for a second trial until Thursday. My guess at this point is that it needed to phone home for some reason maybe? Unless it used the cellular antenna on the truck without my having paid for whatever service is needed for it to be active (remember, no cell service up here, so what's the point?), it seems odd they'd put something like that in just to phone home on startup...

I'll have a second data point next time I go anywhere. Assuming the initial brick state was as suspected, and will not be an issue going forward, it worked well. I didn't notice any lag, the time it initially worked was well AFTER turning on the truck (no 10-second window issue). Fingers crossed. If it works and proves stable, I'll have to figure out a way to hide it in the dash somewhere.
Cell service really should have nothing to do with it. The dongle itself has bluetooth and wifi radios - that's it. Carplay doesn't require a cell signal either. I believe there is just some incompatibly somewhere with the new infotainment system and these dongles. Again yesterday, on my drive to work the truck would not recognize the dongle. At lunch I headed to the gym and it picked it up right away. Leaving the gym about an hour later on my way back to work and it wouldn't recognize the dongle. My suspicion is there is some kind of timing issue going on where either the dongle isn't booting fast enough or its booting too fast - something that is causing it to not work every time. It's also possible that GM is using some type of encryption or system protection when the infotainment OS boots up that isn't reliably blocking the dongle every time and that's why it sometimes works.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wouldn't think so, but I can't come up with any other rationale for why it would have behaved that way at first, and then is happy as a clam afterward.

Try updating your firmware. The timer thing definitely did not come into play the first time it worked for me. I was a mile or two down the road after starting up before I realized anything was going on with it. Ten seconds had passed many times.

I took the baby (larval human, not the truck) out for a drive yesterday to get a car wash in preparation for installing mud flaps some time this week. I don't yet know what to look for to know that it's connected without directly switching to CarPlay, but it was definitely working without any input from me. Next time I go somewhere, I'll try to see if I can figure out how to tell how quickly it connects and is fully active.

·
Registered
9 Posts
41 - 60 of 89 Posts