Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current Setup. I have a Base Z71 Without Bose or Navigation.

What I want: I want Car Play and Build in Navigation.
What I'm looking for is a way to get Car Play and Navi installed at a ok amount.

Info: Ok, guys i read through a lot of threads. I came up with Nav Tools $400 which is a module but it doesn't not have Build in Navi. I also found MVI which you can do Car Play and Navi for $1200. Honestly i don't want to waste that much money.

I'm thinking because i have the Z71 i can just find the module and install it but i don't know if is going to work or not? Any input?
Some info, if i want to do heated mirrors i can because the hardness is there. I'm guessing i can just plug in the module and i can work..NOT SURE..

Is there any other way i can get Car Play or Navi for way cheaper. Any input or workarounds will be very helpful..T.Y..

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
If you find the units reasonably priced, you might. The other issue is getting the dealer and GM to flash the BCM to have them work with your vehicle, and they have been very anti-factory upgrade modding of late. The MVI folks take care all that before you get the units.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
If you find the units reasonably priced, you might. The other issue is getting the dealer and GM to flash the BCM to have them work with your vehicle, and they have been very anti-factory upgrade modding of late. The MVI folks take care all that before you get the units.
yup, that's where I got my NAVI, and yes, they need your VIN#

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just looking through the MVI site, it seems to add CarPlay/Android Auto to my 2015 Canyon SLT, I'm looking at $1300 for the parts.

I've never done much customizing of the headunits in my cars (at least not since I was slapping different DIN units into my 1976 Buick Skylark in the 1980's or replacing the factory ratio in my 1992 Civic Si), but it feels like for US$1300 (I'm in Canada) I could have someone stuff an iPad Mini into my car somewhere or an Android tablet.

$1300+labor feels like a LOT of money to 'upgrade' to what GM feels is a good system.

The Navigation sucks, period. Any $100 Garmin is heads and shoulders above what the factory nav does, so I'd never spend money to add that to the truck, and for the iOS/Android functionality, a $300 tablet professionally mounted would seem to be a much better solution.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you have carplay, you wont need navi. google maps and even the regular maps app works better than the factory systems. if you can get the upgraded head unit parts, trim pieces, and a tech to update the bcm (and/or canbus) system for you cheaply, then you got something. otherwise, go aftermarket. it's not worth the headache and heartache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.