Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found several bumper removal threads, but wasn't able to find one about swapping the Canyon grille and/or lower valence so I figured I would throw one up here in case anyone wants to know how it's done. It is time consuming and kind of tedious, but the end result was worth it. The GM Part number for the lower matte black piece with tow hook holes is 22891734. The part number for the glossy black lower valence on the newer all terrains is 84245788. It clips onto the matte black piece behind just like the chrome part on the older All Terrains. So if you have an older All Terrain model with the chrome piece and want to change it to glossy black you will only need the part number 84245788.

1. Remove bumper.....bumper removal is the same as the Colorado and there are several threads on here that explain how to do it.
2. Lay the bumper face down on a blanket or something in a large area. I forgot to take a pic before I removed the grille from the bumper :(
3. Using a trim removal tool or something similar pop the grill loose from the following locations circled in red. Take your time and work slowly around as some of the locations will pop back into place as you go.

4. Some of the tabs only need pushed to the side with your finger while putting pressure on the bumper and pulling the pieces apart (circled in red) while others require some force with a trim removal tool (circled in yellow). Most of the tabs on the ends were the easy ones and the ones in the center were the harder ones.

4. Next remove the 2 clips from the foam piece on the lower valence (see pic above). I found it easiest to stick a tiny flat head screwdriver in the little hole on each side of the clips and squeeze the screwdrivers together to lift each clip right off.

5. Next is the lower valence. If you are just swapping this piece you must remove the grille because the lower part of the grille covers the top part of the valence on the back of the bumper. The lower valence is held on by the tabs circled in red below. This piece was even worse to remove than the grill. I found it easiest to work from each end toward the center while keeping pressure pushed downward on the bumper to keep the tabs from popping back into place. This part had mostly the easy tabs on it, but it was difficult to keep them from popping back into place.

6. Notice there are 2 clips on each end of the valence that aren't circled. Those are the clips that hold the chrome outer shell on top of the black plastic valence. You can see several other slots in the center with metal clips. So the chrome piece is only an overlay on top of the black valence.

Here is one end of the new black valence snapped into place.

And some before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Hopefully this will help someone out. I went into this not knowing what I was up against, but it wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the chrome

I've been looking for the chrome piece only, not the black plastic it's mounted to. is the chrome made of plastic or tin? if interested in selling the chrome please email me at [email protected]

Bob

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd like to switch out my chrome lower valance for black.

How long should I allow for this?
Are you saying there is a black valance under the chrome?
Does it look finished?
Or did you order a black one? And if so, from where and how much?

I was thinking of just going with the color matched grill stick ons but if going this route might just change out.

Nice Job and Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to switch out my chrome lower valance for black.

How long should I allow for this?
Are you saying there is a black valance under the chrome?
Does it look finished?
Or did you order a black one? And if so, from where and how much?

I was thinking of just going with the color matched grill stick ons but if going this route might just change out.

Nice Job and Thanks!
I would say at least 3 or 4 hours. If you were rushing you could probably do it in 1 or 2 hours, but I took my time. And yeah there is a black one under the chrome, but it has slots cut in it where tabs from the chrome overlay stick through and the little metal clips hold it in place. So if you removed the chrome you would have holes all through the black piece.

I ordered my black bottom piece from the dealer. It was around 142 with tax. I found it on eBay for 134 with free shipping, but I was willing to spend the extra 8 bucks so if there was a problem with the part the dealer could exchange it no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say at least 3 or 4 hours. If you were rushing you could probably do it in 1 or 2 hours, but I took my time. And yeah there is a black one under the chrome, but it has slots cut in it where tabs from the chrome overlay stick through and the little metal clips hold it in place. So if you removed the chrome you would have holes all through the black piece.

I ordered my black bottom piece from the dealer. It was around 142 with tax. I found it on eBay for 134 with free shipping, but I was willing to spend the extra 8 bucks so if there was a problem with the part the dealer could exchange it no problem.
Thank you for all this info. I was thinking of using the plasti-dip on mine this weekend. But knowing how it will take is a giant help as I will be doing it myself.

What all tools are needed?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all this info. I was thinking of using the plasti-dip on mine this weekend. But knowing how it will take is a giant help as I will be doing it myself.

What all tools are needed?
Sorry I just saw this. I was able to do it all with a rachet and some sockets and a few small screwdrivers and trim removal tools. It didn't take much at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this -- very cool. One thing I'm having trouble with is finding the "lower valence" as a part. My truck is black and my grille and valence are chrome and I want to go the blackout look. The part known as "Grille Package" (#84193030) says "package" so maybe it includes the valence...does anyone know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
When you go on GM Parts Direct, look up Front Bumper Components and should have a breakdown of each part. It does for the Colorado.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good! I removed the chrome piece from my truck as well several months ago. I did not replace the lower black section as I could not find the part number. What part number did you use for your truck?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good! I removed the chrome piece from my truck as well several months ago. I did not replace the lower black section as I could not find the part number. What part number did you use for your truck?
I added the part number of what I ordered to the original post. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great post. I’m trying to find the canyon grill with the color matching quicksilver bezel but black horizontal grill Inserts. Anyone have a part number for this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great post. I’m trying to find the canyon grill with the color matching quicksilver bezel but black horizontal grill Inserts. Anyone have a part number for this?
Do you know what model of Canyon you saw that on? The accessory grill that is factory painted is 23321747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you for the write up. I've always wanted to swap the chrome for black on my White 2017 All Terrain like on the 2018+. I might try a vinyl wrap, but it will probably end in an epic fail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you for the write up. I've always wanted to swap the chrome for black on my White 2017 All Terrain like on the 2018+. I might try a vinyl wrap, but it will probably end in an epic fail.
My wrap guy said it wouldn’t come out right and probably cheaper to replace the grill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you know what model of Canyon you saw that on? The accessory grill that is factory painted is 23321747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure but I think it is the all terrain model. I’ve seen the quicksilver bezel with black grill and a color matching bezel and grill.
Not sure what year they were

·
Registered
385 Posts
My wrap guy said it wouldn’t come out right and probably cheaper to replace the grill.
Really not sure how it wouldn’t come out right. I’ve seen a lot of similar projects that came out great and it will be considerably cheaper than a new grill and bumper piece.

I’ve done a lot of projects and painting and such so I know I can do it, I’ll just waste some vinyl before I figure out my technique. I’m not afraid to do it, just need to find the time. I’ll be using gloss black.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts