Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about planning out my 2023 truck purchase coming up in the eventual future, but I've been thinking about what I want from my truck. I was likely going to do a Colorado Z71 with the high-output engine option, tow package, and premium stereo (are they still going to offer two different stereos?). But I looked at what the Canyon AT4 is going to offer and it almost looks like it could bring everything I want with my Z71, but with less hassle of having to pick options. So is the MSRP difference going to be that huge a gap or would it be a smart move to just skip straight to getting a Canyon AT4 in the color I want and calling it a day?

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
549 Posts
Yeah...really going to have to wait until we get a build and price feature to play with. But we do know the Canyon Elevation will start right around $41K. I think that means an AT4 will start right around $43 - $45K. By the time you add to the Colorado Z71 the features you want I think you'll be in that ball park.

For me, it would come down to looks, not features. If both trucks can have the same features, and will cost about the same, then by all means pick the one that gives you more "feels" when you look at it. Don't go for the cheaper one just cause it's cheaper when it's just 1 or 2 grand on a vehicle costing this much. If the difference is more than that...then OK I can't argue with that (everyone has a budget) but I don't think there's going to be a $3K+ difference between a Z71 with some stuff added versus the regular AT4.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It seems to me that the Canyon will get some options not offered on the Colorado, at least on the AT4X to the ZR2, the AT4X is getting Heads-Up display (not sure if it's an option), but if you also look at the Silverado ZR2 to the Sierra AT4X, The AT4X gets the front AEV bumper as standard, which is only available on the ZR2 Bison.

Also all GMC vehicles include 3 years of full OnStar subscriptions so the GMC version will automatically be $950-$1500 more than an "equal" Z71 where Chevy is only including 3 years of Remote package at $350. These are mandatory fees on the invoice.

You will need to wait until all details and pricing is announced to make a definitive choice, however I would just deciding which one looks better to you and make your choice that way.

Also, from what I've heard so far, the Highest Output version of the engine is only available on the ZR2 and not an option on the Z71 or Trail Boss, where the Canyon gets the Highest Output version as standard on all versions.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Off Road 4x4 Duramax 2.8L
171 Posts
IMHO, it depends on what level of upscale you want and whether you are willing to pay more for it. In addition, it's been my experience that the upscale line (GMC) will cost more for servicing and parts than the Chevy. I had a Lexus 450h, and every time you brought it into the shop, the $$$$$$$ start ringing. Essentially the same vehicle as the Toyota Highlander. Yes, the Lexus interior was nicer and maybe had a few more bells and whistles than the Highlander.

So the question is "What is the purpose of your truck?" Transportation and hauling; or to impress the neighbors since you have an upscale vehicle. That's why I bought a Chevy. I don't care what my neighbors think, nor am I trying to impress others with my wealth. I could have bought a Canyon, but decided it wasn't worth the extra price.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I think a lot of this is pure speculation, which is great fun. In 2015, my GMC Canyon came with a couple of items that were not available on the Colorado, and I felt I got it for as good a price as a comparable Colorado.

I thought I understood GM was going to stick every division with the Onstar subscription, so that may be a non-issue, until enough people balk and sales drop.

I also thought the high output engine was an option on the Colorado. It must at least be available on the Z71.

Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive side marker light

As far as Chevy versus GMC parts, engine and electronics should be comparable. Outside of warranty, a Chevy dealer would service your GMC, no problem. Body and interior trim parts might be more expensive on the GMC because of lower volume and upscale trim: I am sure the soft touch, stitched dash on my Canyon would have been more expensive to replace than the plastic on the Colorado.

GMC may be "upscale" compared to the Chevy, but it isn't the same as the Lexus to Toyota comparison. You may pay slightly more out the door for a Canyon over the Colorado, but that Lexus was a boatload more expensive than it's Toyota step-brother.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
468 Posts
I believe the HO motor will be an order-able option on the Z71 (and possibly LT) at the beginning of the 3rd Gen order period but will be fazed out or possibly a gauge on its popularity for GM to continue offering it beyond that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
…by all means pick the one that gives you more "feels" when you look at it. Don't go for the cheaper one just cause it's cheaper…
Well said! I chose my ZR2 for its features AND its looks. To me, the ZR2 just looks badass! I had considered other trucks, but at the end of the day, you need to choose the truck that when you see it parked makes you say “Damn, I love my truck!”
We will most likely never utilize the full capability of our trucks, so to a certain extent the functionality is somewhat of a moot point. Buy what you feel best in, what you like the looks of, what you can afford, and what you simply enjoy driving.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I would go with the AT4 over a Z71 see Mad Germans post above

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe the HO motor will be an order-able option on the Z71 (and possibly LT) at the beginning of the 3rd Gen order period but will be fazed out or possibly a gauge on its popularity for GM to continue offering it beyond that.
My guess is more likely they phase out the low output versions and it just becomes standard. Usually GM bumps the output every couple years on a given engine, my gut is its either marketing hype or them conservatively feeling out how far they can push it..

Not that they push it with output, but a less powerful engine likely reduces warranty claims on average (not just engine but say transmission, suspension, everything) - which is probably why the +HP versions cost more. I'm not familiar with the new engines but my ASSumption is it's mostly, if not all, a software based upgrade you are paying for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you are just gonna have to build your truck, compare, take it from there.

You may find one or the other sticks you with stuff you don't want, to get what you do want, and drives up cost - could be either really as they package differently. You may find one looks better.

Last I checked, the current GMC lineup failed to match ZR2 features. And on the base model line of GMC's they stuck what is essentially a work truck with about $2000 in options - upgraded wheels being most major and significant but what else made up that 2k I couldn't figure out.

Anyway - who knows until you can go build one online.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One thing I'd add, never am happy with how GM packages stuff in general. I'm anticipating this keeps getting worse.

There are some pretty strong arguments for why someone, or even in a fleet, might buy say a stripped down 4x4 work truck w/ both locking differentials and AT tires on steel wheels. Or why someone might not want a crew cab for their Denali (for one it's easier to place and retrieve your groceries with an extended cab :) )...

I feel like GM tends to mix stuff up that is really unrelated - but at least we get 2 shots at finding something that is the closest.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The days of truly optioning a vehicle exactly how you want it are long gone. When I ordered my 1992 K1500, I could pick and choose exactly how I wanted the truck. Damn, I miss her...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts