Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all think it'll be easy to swap the 2015-2020 front end for the 2021 GMC Canyon AT4 when it comes out?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don’t think it will be difficult, but it will definitely be expensive. You’ll need, at a minimum the new front grill and bumper, but might also need a hood and fenders. Probably some support brackets and such too. Really hard to say more without seeing one.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
With enough time and money anything is possible.

Starting out now it would not be cheap as no used parts. Then you have issues that you do not see that could be changed under the skin. We have done conversions on older vehicles and they sometimes will change a core support just enough it needs modified or replaced.

Then the headlamps today are run though the body control module. It could need reprogrammed since the running lights have changed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You read my mind. I had the same idea, but Idk if I'll b willing to spend the money to do it. Even if I wait until a couple crash and reach salvage yards their parts won't be cheap still. From what I'm seeing it will need a new grille, upper and lower portions of the front bumper, foglamps and whatever associated brackets are required. In my eyes doing the work myself it would be an easy swap...if it's worth it is another story. However, clearly they haven't gone out of their way to change much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don’t take this the wrong way...but why? Why try to make a truck something it really isn’t? Same as with the people that are putting Denali grilles on trucks that aren’t a denali. I guess to each their own, but seems like a complete waste of time/money when there’s other functional things that could be done. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don’t take this the wrong way...but why? Why try to make a truck something it really isn’t? Same as with the people that are putting Denali grilles on trucks that aren’t a denali. I guess to each their own, but seems like a complete waste of time/money when there’s other functional things that could be done. Just my $0.02.
Both trucks are a Canyon. In that logic of thinking then why do anything to a truck at all. Everyone mods their vehicle how they see fit whether someone agrees or not. Some ppl love to "waste" money, whether it be on a vehicle or something else. Life is about doing what makes a person happy. Let's all be happy!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sometimes you just like the look better. I was happy with the front end of my 2017 white All Terrain, but when I saw the black grill and bumper trim on the 2018 I’d like to have that. On the 2021, I like the new front bumper design. I wouldn’t mind having that, but the latter is way more than I care to get into.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was expecting this as soon as the photos came out.

What it is everyone wants the latest and not always want to or can afford the new vehicle.

Some times it is a front clip or as simple as back in the day people added the third brake light and or a fake Onstar antenna.

It used to be cheap and easy back in the day when many of the grills just screwed in but today things are not as easy any longer with all the sensors and even changes under the body panels.

I remember I had a set of Z 28 wheels on my old S10. They later used the wheel on the trucks so I got the new caps for them. Well they had changed the wheel just a bit and I had to cut down the lug caps and re thread them to make them work. Things may look easy but often take more work.

Someone will do all this to change their truck and in 2 years the new platform will render all these changes old.

I will keep what I have and just replace the truck later.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I actually like the old grille a lot better as it is in scale with the size of the truck. I guess I am just a crabby old dude who thinks the current "grille wars" are ridiculous 😆

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You read my mind. I had the same idea, but Idk if I'll b willing to spend the money to do it. Even if I wait until a couple crash and reach salvage yards their parts won't be cheap still. From what I'm seeing it will need a new grille, upper and lower portions of the front bumper, foglamps and whatever associated brackets are required. In my eyes doing the work myself it would be an easy swap...if it's worth it is another story. However, clearly they haven't gone out of their way to change much.
This. It appears that they only changed the bumper (fogs) and grill. Comparing the two images and other associated angles, it also appears that the headlights, hood, and fenders still match up with existing model.

All this was just a fun question to ask. Just wanted to see what others think.

I think it looks cool! Wouldn’t pay for it but if I saw a good deal or if I had to replace it anyway due to an accident or something....I’d highly consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope you do it! It's your truck and I think the not updated trucks look out of date. The refresh look like a stride to a better more modern truck.. At least it's not a frontier😁. It sucks when you purchase a 2006,2008 and a 2011 and they all look the same.

I love my 18 colorado but in less than 3yrs I'll be purchasing a new truck.

I like the over the top 2019 gmc 1500s. In 2022 I hope they have better engines.... Meaning more hp and tq. The interior will be done to look like the new youkons.

Till then I guess

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nothing wrong with doing it. A lot of people have retrofitted the new Chevrolet script grill that came out with the RST and Trailrunner

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
i love the new canyon front ends. at4 now showing on the GMC site due out in the spring as 2021 model. the rest of the truck and interior appears no obvious changes.
i bet a good body shop could convert it. on current models bumper /lower front /grill can be bought as a complete unit.
availability would be another issue.
looks like led fogs but the same old headlamps...hard to believe
and what? the air dam is gone? or hidden very well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts