Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2016 Colorado work truck, with base information system, since new. I again am having problems setting the clock back to standard time, and note the screen has dimmed for unknown reasons.

I had the dealer set the clock when we went to Daylight Saving Time. I recall it was a simple operation. This time I tried for intuitively obvious and again failed. Reading the owner manual it says to use the "settings" from the "Home Page". Doing so by using the touch screen to touch "settings". It allows me only to set radio options and to enter the radio display. I tried rotating the menu knob, and noted the highlight on the "radio" and "setting" icons moved back and forth, not in any way that made it clear which was active. I tired both possibilities, yet I can not get the "settings" to activate a menu that included the clock, and I hope intensity.

Looking for help before I go back to the dealer. The dim display is more troubling to me than the clock being off by an hour. Could the dimming be due to an error in the light detector that automatically turns on the head lights? I assume that set would cause the display to dim.

Jerry in NJ

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Did you try adjusting the brightness with the wheel next to the headlight control knob?

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
On the 8'' Z71 system all you have to do is press on the time on the screen. This brings up a large clock that you use to set the time. Stupid question I guess, but did you try pressing on the time on the screen?

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Interesting, my '16 Z1 with the base audio system automatically adjusts when the time changes.

Same here on my 2017. No need to adjust anything. I wonder if somewhere in the settings there is a manual override switch?

Gusto

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine is the bose but mine didn't change had to go into setting and theres a option to auto adjust off wifi or manual. I think the wifi is onstar so might not work after onstar subscription ends.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
On all my resent clocks that keep their own time (in a vehicle anyway) they seem to get their info from something other than wifi or Onstar. I'm guessing it comes over the radio like the song info you see nowadays. I think the trick might be to find a "daylight savings time" setting. I don't know where it is off hand. Is there a different "basic" radio than the non-bose ? Is there a separate dimming setting too? That would be nice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, first the panel light intensity control fixed the dim backup. I didn't think that came into play until the lights (darkness) turned on. I must have accidentally brushed the wheel next to the light selector knob. I have returned that to maximum brightness.

On the clock, mine doesn't self adjust .. and, dumb me, the screen is not a touch screed. I'm too used to a smart phone and tablet with touch screens. That and the fact my 2017 Subaru base level has a touch screen.. and much larger too. Not a complaint to GM, Chevy, but they were (are?) a bit behind on what is included in their basic unit. Even have Bluetooth in my 2017 and the ability to run GPS to the screen using a iPhone or Andriod Smartphone. Sorry, nothing for Windows Smart Phone.. think that may now be dead anyway. How can a company as big as Microsoft not be able to compete in the smartphone operating system market.. rhetorical, not looking for an answer here.

So, I have set the clock back to standard time. Using the Menu Button and rotating knob like a mouse I pick "home" (another physical button) then use the Menu rotator to select either radio or settings (not easy to see which is active for selection, but only two possibilities so not a problem) then push the menu button and the display gives settings options, again using the menu and rotator somewhat like a fixed Mouse I select set clock and after a few more operation I was able to set the time. I like the truck, and compared to my trade-in, a 2005 Colorado, the new Colorado is state-of-the-art, but sadly is still behind the competition (here comparing to a hatchback Subaru Impresa base model) it is behind. Hope 2017 Colorado moved the standard package forward, including a larger screen, and a bright backup camera.

Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hope 2017 Colorado moved the standard package forward, including a larger screen, and a bright backup camera.

Thanks to all for the help.
You are 2 years behind with your 2016 now, but yes, the 2018 base and WT come with 7" screens and apps. The camera, not so much...:frown2:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
JScottM - I just checked and on my display the "Auto" setting also says"Cellular Network" or something to that effect. I manually bumped the time an hour and then selected "Auto".

I have pulled the cellular/OnStar board from my Comm Module so the truck has no cellular connection. Nothing has self adjusted yet. I don't suspect it will but I'll add a note to this post if it does. Me thinks Auto requires a cellular connection. The radio may ping towers even without an OnStar subscription so I am not sure an OnStar subscription will be needed. It will take a while to find out as OnStar Basic Service lasts 5 years from purchase.

On all my resent clocks that keep their own time (in a vehicle anyway) they seem to get their info from something other than wifi or Onstar. I'm guessing it comes over the radio like the song info you see nowadays. I think the trick might be to find a "daylight savings time" setting. I don't know where it is off hand. Is there a different "basic" radio than the non-bose ? Is there a separate dimming setting too? That would be nice.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
JScottM - I just checked and on my display the "Auto" setting also says"Cellular Network" or something to that effect. I manually bumped the time an hour and then selected "Auto".

I have pulled the cellular/OnStar board from my Comm Module so the truck has no cellular connection. Nothing has self adjusted yet. I don't suspect it will but I'll add a note to this post if it does. Me thinks Auto requires a cellular connection. The radio may ping towers even without an OnStar subscription so I am not sure an OnStar subscription will be needed. It will take a while to find out as OnStar Basic Service lasts 5 years from purchase.
understood, maybe the satellite connection could do it too? Sounds like with GM it is an Onstar cellular thing...on our trucks anyway. I really don't know much about Onstar but I'm assuming its cellular because what else could it be. I don't know of any other technology that would be used in a vehicle that would allow a stranger to talk to you, and you to them from a far away location...:)

I like your thinking on disabling it too by the way.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The only satellite connection is the GPS reciever in the antenna module. That would be capable of setting time but my experiment and the "Cellular" notation on the "Auto" button indicate that it is not used.

OnStar is cellular. The radio hardware looks something like the photo below. :smile2:
One coax connector feeds the cellular antenna while the other powers the GPS receiver while providing GPS data to this board for OnStar and compass use. If this board is pulled a cable needs to be swapped on the GPS signal splitter to allow the HMI to power the GPS receiver. Detail resides elsewhere on the board.

For '16 and older vehicles owners need to go online to disable the WiFi node before pulling the cellular board. It's a bit difficult to get done the other way around.

...And to get back on topic - The Auto time set function uses the OnStar cellular board to poll time from the attached cell tower.

OnStar Gen10 NAD board. Coax connectors are Cell ant. and GPS data/power.

understood, maybe the satellite connection could do it too? Sounds like with GM it is an Onstar cellular thing...on our trucks anyway. I really don't know much about Onstar but I'm assuming its cellular because what else could it be. I don't know of any other technology that would be used in a vehicle that would allow a stranger to talk to you, and you to them from a far away location...:)

I like your thinking on disabling it too by the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.