Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 threw a P0014 code and that's Bank 1 "B" camshaft so I'm assuming that's the one that controls the exhaust cam.

So I know that bank 1 is the passenger side, but I don't know exactly which valve is which. Looks like one is in the front of the block, and the other goes into the top of the valve cover.

I'm thinking #32 in this drawing:
PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

I'm having trouble getting a strait answer. Anyone have a service manual who could verify that this controls the exhaust cam?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
My 2017 threw a P0014 code and that's Bank 1 "B" camshaft so I'm assuming that's the one that controls the exhaust cam.

So I know that bank 1 is the passenger side, but I don't know exactly which valve is which. Looks like one is in the front of the block, and the other goes into the top of the valve cover.

I'm thinking #32 in this drawing:
PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

I'm having trouble getting a strait answer. Anyone have a service manual who could verify that this controls the exhaust cam?

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Hmmmm, don't know. I think it's manual time.
I guess you could unplug it and see if you get another code that has to do with the same part. (Or no other code...)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before replacing.. Clear code and run it. My 2017 threw this code and I was in the same dilemma.... Didn't notice any chnge in fuel mileage and engine ran like a clock. I bought a new one but rest it first.... Never came back... Just my. 02. BTW, I sold my zr2 and still have a brand new one if interested... Make me an offer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same scenario, it's came and gone a few times over the past few weeks. I already ordered the solenoid from rock auto. about a year ago I had the same issue with a P0024 code where it popped up and went away several times. New valve took care of it under warranty.

Looks like a cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The solenoid has micro screens that can become blocked do you maintenance the vehicle in what would be considered an acceptable manner, dirty oil or long intervals in between oil changes can create an issue with the screens becoming blocked in the cam actuator oil control solenoids. Inspect the screens on the end of the solenoid after removing to see if an accumulated amount of debris is visible....have you ever had an oil filter inline cartridge become damaged and the media material was damaged. I witnessed an after market cartridge that appeared to self detonate and the media material was blown out and contaminated the engine oil and basically the engines was running a while without an area of the filter media being intact but where did all that debris go?.....lol....glad it wasn't my vehicle.....

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
The solenoid has micro screens that can become blocked do you maintenance the vehicle in what would be considered an acceptable manner, dirty oil or long intervals in between oil changes can create an issue with the screens becoming blocked in the cam actuator oil control solenoids. Inspect the screens on the end of the solenoid after removing to see if an accumulated amount of debris is visible....have you ever had an oil filter inline cartridge become damaged and the media material was damaged. I witnessed an after market cartridge that appeared to self detonate and the media material was blown out and contaminated the engine oil and basically the engines was running a while without an area of the filter media being intact but where did all that debris go?.....lol....glad it wasn't my vehicle.....
My guess, Frame filter
ahaha

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually go by the oil life monitor which usually ends up around 5000-6000 miles. I use delco filters, or mobil 1 filters if I have trouble finding the delco. I definitely don't use fram.

I definitely heard that a lot of these issues were from oil that didn't get changed as often as it should. This is usually about the same intervals that I have always used with full synthetic oil. Are people finding they have to change the oil more often?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts