Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a my first truck. I like the Colorado/Canyon. I would really like to park the truck in my tiny garage especially if I buy a new truck. The width and height of the garage are ok, but I am concerned about the length.

My garage is just over 220 inches long and the Extended cab, Long bed has a spec of 212.7 inches. Think I can park this truck in my garage? I was thinking it may be possible if I use on of those laser sensor parking guides, foam padding on my garage wall, and a stopper.

Too bad they don't make the regular cab anymore. That would've been perfect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take one for a test drive and try it before you buy it. I once parked a full size truck in my garage, with less than that as spare room. I used one of those plastic garden stakes (looks like plastic re-bar) and mounted it on the front wall where the bumper would touch it. (used a piece of 3/4" wood screwed into the drywall, a couple of eye hooks in the wood and put the stake through the eye hooks) I would then drive in until the bumper touched the stake and that was that. No pictures, this was nearly 15 years ago and a different house/garage.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a my first truck. I like the Colorado/Canyon. I would really like to park the truck in my tiny garage especially if I buy a new truck. The width and height of the garage are ok, but I am concerned about the length.

My garage is just over 220 inches long and the Extended cab, Long bed has a spec of 212.7 inches. Think I can park this truck in my garage? I was thinking it may be possible if I use on of those laser sensor parking guides, foam padding on my garage wall, and a stopper.

Too bad they don't make the regular cab anymore. That would've been perfect.
Welcome to C'Fans
The Crew Cab Short Bed is the same length as the Extended Cab. My wife, who can't back up for ****, backs hers in our 222" garage perfectly every night. The backup camera makes this all possible, along with her remembering reference spots.

Reactions: jdecker94

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How deep is your garage? Mine is 24ft and it fit's no problem even with a large storage cabinet behind it. Shouldn't be very difficult to figure out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How deep is your garage? Mine is 24ft and it fit's no problem even with a large storage cabinet behind it. Shouldn't be very difficult to figure out.
It's 220 inches. That's 18 feet and 4 inches.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Even if I can't get in its not the end of the world. I think I can though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I park my 224.9" LBCC in my 228" garage every day. I hang a tennis ball adjusted to just contact the windshield when the truck is in the correct spot. No problem!

I did remove the lower inside door handle for a little extra margin.

The tennis ball on a string is a great idea. I've seen it done a few times with good results.

If you dont want a ball on a string hanging in the middle of your garage, another friend has one of those cheap lasers that mount to the ceiling and then you aim the dot so it hits a reference point on your dash.

I also had a F350 dually that I parked in my garage with a few inches on either end. No cameras just the sonar. The big camera on the Colorado makes this easy now.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
BDC has over 7 inches of clearance. I have a little over 3". I have had the truck just over 1 year. The Wife and I both use the truck without even thinking about it any more. I'd say that creeping forward to the tennis ball adds just a few seconds, if that to parking.

I traded sides with the Wife because it's easy to walk around her TDI wagon.
I need to raise my garage door to get to my drivers side but that's not an issue as the door goes up before I can leave anyway.
I did staple a felt pad to the wall before bringing the truck home but haven't needed it. As stated I also pulled the inside handles off that garage door.
I haven't looked at min/max annual temperatures and TCE mismatch but I think I'm good. :)

Bottom line is 7" (or 3" for that matter) clearance is livable and you won't have issues.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I always back in so I hung a tennis ball to hit the back window, perfect fit every time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use a little ball as well. I have a few inches to spare. One of the reasons I bought the Colorado is because it would fit in my garage.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
If I couldn't, I would get another garage. ;)

Can someone explain the need for some people to keep a bunch of junk in their garage while their $40,000 truck sits outside in the weather?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Tomsriv and JBT

·
Registered
101 Posts
My garage is twenty feet from door to wall. Fits like a glove with room for my compressor and golf clubs behind the truck. I have a reflector on the wall to use as a guided on the side of the truck to see in the mirror. The guide lines in the camera work well as I back up, but I made a tire stop to roll up to with a rear wheel. ( I always back in. I like the Batman takeoff.)

I made a tire bumper out of a rubber door mat, folded over a short piece of 2x4 and screwed together. Tire rolls unto the rubber mat so it stops the 2x4 from moving. I put a mark on the floor to show where it must be to make a perfect placement of the truck. The tennis ball kept hitting me in the face when I was working in the garage. Murphy's law and all.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.