Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread someone said that the regular 9006 Headlight bulbs fit in for our fog lights too. Well I wanted to upgrade both so I bought those damn expensive Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. I bought two sets of 9006 (low beam). I installed the headlights no problem, and they look great. 4100k so almost HID and definately alot brighter than stock. BUT.... I go to hook-up the fogs and the bulb won't seat far enough down in the mount and the ridges on the inside of the bulb assembly are different as well, the ridges inside don't align. It just won't work...

So i guess that guy was wrong. But I really want these bulbs in the fog locations. I want the lights to match and I want the extra 10w of output from the stock fogs to the 55w headlight bulbs. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought about just ordering two connectors for headlights and swapping them with the fog light connectors. Then I still have the issue of the bulb not sitting all the way into the fog light basket. The overall shape is exactly the same but on the fog bulbs there is three extra black tabs on top that look like they help push something down to make it slide all the way in. It's hard to explain.

Anyone have any suggestions or have tried this on their own? Thanks

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Yes - I trimmed a pair with some wire cutters and they fit just fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i didnt even have to trim mine. they just fit perfect. you kind have to work them. rangerbob what kind of off road lights are you running on your light bar? i dont mean to jack your thread Colorado74.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, so the High Beams lights work, the 9005's. Not the 9006 low-beam lights. Gotcha. My Fogs are on all the time because of the mrtaililght mod. Have you had any issues with oveheating the harness?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks. Maybe I will need to do the same. Rsquires67 one more question. Does the 65w high beams in the fog lamp really over power the low-beam headlights? I am sure it will... Does it look odd?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to answer my own question... 9006 low bean headlights fit only with alot of trimming! Your have to trim the tabs and the center is to large to fit into the fog light socket. After about an hour I got them to fit in their. So my fogs and headlights are now sylvania silverstar ultra 9006's. They match perfrectly and look almost identical to HID (i have had them before) and they are very bright. Not sure if it's worth the time to trim for fogs but I really didn't want to put 9005 (brights) into the fogs

·
Registered
701 Posts
Colorado74 said:
to answer my own question... 9006 low bean headlights fit only with alot of trimming! Your have to trim the tabs and the center is to large to fit into the fog light socket. After about an hour I got them to fit in their. So my fogs and headlights are now sylvania silverstar ultra 9006's. They match perfrectly and look almost identical to HID (i have had them before) and they are very bright. Not sure if it's worth the time to trim for fogs but I really didn't want to put 9005 (brights) into the fogs
a lot of trimming? i took a pair of wire cutters and snipped off the tabs....took all of about 47 seconds...maybe. anywho, when i got silverstars for my lows and set aside the standard bulbs....when my left fog light went out i stuck in the low beam bulb...works great!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well by just snipping off the tabs how does the bulb stay in the socket. The tabs push under and twist to lock it in place like all other auto bulbs. Secondly the bore of the fog light housing is too small for the diameter of the plastic base of the 9006 light to fit into. You have to trim that too so the diameter is smaller. There is a lip on the bulb that the rubber o-ring sits under and you can just break the plastic off all the way around and it makes the diameter about a 1/8 inch smaller to just fit. the rubber o ring will still work, so no water gets it.

No offense Ryans-Canyon but not everyone wants their lights rigged. If you don't set it right the bulb could vibrate inside the fog light housing and that would look stupid, not to mention fall out, and at $24 each for Silverstar Ultra's that's not cheap. I was just trying to give people the real heads up here.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Colorado74 said:
Well by just snipping off the tabs how does the bulb stay in the socket. The tabs push under and twist to lock it in place like all other auto bulbs. Secondly the bore of the fog light housing is too small for the diameter of the plastic base of the 9006 light to fit into. You have to trim that too so the diameter is smaller. There is a lip on the bulb that the rubber o-ring sits under and you can just break the plastic off all the way around and it makes the diameter about a 1/8 inch smaller to just fit. the rubber o ring will still work, so no water gets it.

No offense Ryans-Canyon but not everyone wants their lights rigged. If you don't set it right the bulb could vibrate inside the fog light housing and that would look stupid, not to mention fall out, and at $24 each for Silverstar Ultra's that's not cheap. I was just trying to give people the real heads up here.
You know what, i completely misunderstood you, and that is my fault. I'm sorry.

I thought you were talking about putting the bulb itself into the socket, not the socket and bulb into the housing. thats why i couldnt figure out how it would take so long to put the bulb into the socket. And it took me a little while to trim the side tabs to get it to fit right as well. Yes, the silverstars are expensive, I bought a pair myself...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, no problem Ryans-Canyon, glad we are on the same page now! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I'm late to this discussion, but I've been battling this on my 2008 Colorado. The owners manual states 9006 for the low beam & DRL's. I bought 9006 but the plug wouldn't fit into the bulb's socket. I ended clipping the center "guide tab" in the bulb's socket with a pair of wire clippers to get the plug to fit into the socket. I finally found an image that explains the difference between the 9005 and 9006 sockets.

9005/9006 compared

I checked the Plugs at the ends of the wires, mine have the Double Track 9005 tabs. I should check to see what the look-up books show at the local Auto Store would say about which is specified for my DRLs..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I'm late to this discussion, but I've been battling this on my 2008 Colorado. The owners manual states 9006 for the low beam & DRL's. I bought 9006 but the plug wouldn't fit into the bulb's socket. I ended clipping the center "guide tab" in the bulb's socket with a pair of wire clippers to get the plug to fit into the socket. I finally found an image that explains the difference between the 9005 and 9006 sockets.

9005/9006 compared

I checked the Plugs at the ends of the wires, mine have the Double Track 9005 tabs. I should check to see what the look-up books show at the local Auto Store would say about which is specified for my DRLs..

·
Registered
14 Posts

9005/9006 compared

Sorry for the double post, I got an error stating a problem with posting, retry later. I hit Post again, then this happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts