Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple months I have noticed that I now have a water leak in my truck. I have never had a problem like this before. Anytime it rains now or when I wash my truck my drivers side floorboard gets about a 3/4 inch puddle. Has anybody else had this problem? I looked up under the dash and it appears to be coming from by the windshield. I might need help with this one. it was fine before the truck was in storage. But eversince I got it back I have been having this problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got a leak on the front drivers side as well, I notice it mainly after I wash it. I think it's running down the by the kick panel, but I haven't had a chance to really chase it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Stealth_Canyon said:
But the leak is in the front.
Maybe, but how can you be sure?
Water will sometimes run along some surface once it comes inside, and settle to the floor wherever it can.

The third brake light is a good place to start. The water COULD be running along the inside of the roof under the headliner until it gets to the front.

Hope you find it. Water leaks are a pain.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I noticed this the last time I drove my 2005 Crew cab through a touchless car wash. There was a puddle on the rubber front passenger side floor mat. Can anyone tell me where to look?

This is a crew cab, so I HIGHLY doubt it is the third brake light. I don't think the water would work it's way all the way to the front under the dash.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Why wouldn't it?

Does your truck have the XM antenna?
That's a place I would look also.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Since water travels the path of least resistance and most trucks are higher in the rear, it makes sense to me that it could travel towards the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Besides checking the third brake light check the rear window. Some people have had that leak also. On the 04's there was a weld in near the firewall that leaked sometimes. There is a TSB out there for it, maybe it started happening again.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
My truck was an early '04 and had the windshield and cowl seal replaced early in it's life (before I owned it) due to a water leak. The only reason I know is because I had the service history checked before I bought it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the truck back after the dealership had it all day. They told me it was my third brake light and if I wanted them to fix it they would charge me $90. I also had them check out the creaking noise when I turn or when I hit a bump at a slow speed. They tried to tell me that it is from my lowering kit. I know that is not causing it cause the noise has been there since I bought the truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two leak stories regarding my '04 Colorado (standard cab). While it was still under warranty, it took the dealer two trips and several days to determine why the floor (starting the in the back) was leaking. It was in the firewall! It would leak in through a bad seal, run underneath the floorboards to the back, come up and then soak things going forward. This was a known problem in Detroit, cuz that's who the called the second time to get it fixed right. That was three years ago. I just dropped it off again yesterday due to water behind the driver's seat and THIS time it's the third brake light. And I live in the Seattle area, so ya know how much rain we get. :lol:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The 2004 had a bad weld. 2005+ only leaks from the third brake light.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
TSB-PIT4317A...Water leak from HVAC Case on the passenger floor...dated August 4, 2008...affecting all years....

"Some customers may comment when taking their truck through a car wash that water drips on the passenger floor area. Others may comment on soap bubbles from the HVAC vents. This may be the result of using the HVAC system in the "fresh air" mode while going through the car wash. Most car washes submerse the vehicle with an excessive amount of water. With this rush of water, the vehicle cowl deflector may not be capable of diverting all of the water. If the vehicle's HVAC is in the "fresh air" mode, the water may enter the HVAC case and drip on the passenger side floor.

RECOMMENDATION/ Instruction;

To correct this condition, travel through the car wash using the "recirculation" mode only.

I hope this helps!

-Boony2

1 - 20 of 39 Posts