Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, been out for a while, but my MACK trailer buddy and I have pretty much designed a frame for a flatbed, with the exception for a hitch, and now Im looking around for where to buy steel. I might be able to get some of the smaller pieces free through some friends work places, but the plate is gonna have to be paid for. SO, I started looking online, and like everyting else online, there is a billion places to buy steel. Im trying to make a list of about 3 online venders, 1 local place, and a friends work place, and compare/contrast the prices, so, if you have ever ordered steel online and/or know of a good website to do so from, could you help me out?

Also, where do people get those differant sized boxes that mount UNDER the flatbeds? Ive seen a few at a local truck shop, but Ive seen a billion differant sizes on the road. Its like the get them custom made for the job.

Anyhelp is apreciated, id like to hopefully do this before I leave for the Army, but if not, it will be my first thing back when I start building the house. Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
mcmaster.com is a good place, but steel is always going to be considerably more expensive online then it would be from like an ironworks so if you can avoid buying it online i would

·
Registered
620 Posts
yea thanks. i cant wait, starting monday i will be adding a brushguard to it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOOO you have to post pics. Im in the process of making 3D models of my bed, and Ive already got a bunch o sketches for the grille guard. That would be cool if they were similar. But mine will be cooler, right ;)

also, that website is the first one I found, good to see its a known one

·
Registered
873 Posts
Biggest problem I can see ordering stuff online is going to be the shipping cost.

As for the boxes, Northern Tool is a good place I've found. (http://www.northerntool.com)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found the boxes, does anyone know of a place with smaller boxes? the 24-36 inch size is good, prolly 24 is best, but something inbetween would rock. I also need some smaller ones, like 12-16 inches, I know their out there, for battery and small things. Also, any other sizes than 18" all around?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts