Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting anxiously for the end of the year to come so I can finally walk into a dealership and drive away in a new truck. Over the past couple of months, I made several scouting trips to local dealerships to see how much a truck was going to cost me.

Build Sheet:
2018 model year
4WD
Z71 package
crew cab
long bed
graphite metallic or satin steel metallic
premium audio
leather seats (if I can find a truck with them)

So far, the best price I've been able to get is $36,500 before tax and licensing for a truck with all the features listed above except the leather seats.

Do I have extra bargaining room? What kind of OTD prices (before tax + lic) have you guys been able to get?

NOTE: I'm on the west coast and am not trading anything in, just putting down a large down payment.

·
Registered
2018 CCLB Duramax, Icon suspension, OME rear leafs, Leer 100XR
66 Posts
I ended up paying just a little more than that with the Duramax, same options in satin steel on the east coast. Probably only way to get lower would be with a factory incentive later in the year.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
OTD price includes all taxes and fees, it’s “out the door.”

You’ll be hard pressed to get deals on 2018s while there are still 2017s on lots. The 2017 in my sig was $2700 less than a 2018 that didn’t have the premium paint or a block heater but was otherwise identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up paying just a little more than that with the Duramax, same options in satin steel on the east coast. Probably only way to get lower would be with a factory incentive later in the year.
Yeah, the price I was given is including the GM supplier discount. What kind of year end incentives should I expect to see in December?

OTD price includes all taxes and fees, it’s “out the door.”

You’ll be hard pressed to get deals on 2018s while there are still 2017s on lots. The 2017 in my sig was $2700 less than a 2018 that didn’t have the premium paint or a block heater but was otherwise identical.
Unfortunately, it's hard to find 2017s in Washington right now. Buying out-of-state is an option but I'm not sure how taxes would work, plus many of my local dealers offer incentives like free lifetime oil changes and such. So you paid ~36k for a 2017?

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Unfortunately, it's hard to find 2017s in Washington right now. Buying out-of-state is an option but I'm not sure how taxes would work, plus many of my local dealers offer incentives like free lifetime oil changes and such. So you paid ~36k for a 2017?

I paid $41k for a 2017 Denali, the 2018 would have been $43.7k. Both stickered at over $48k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I picked up a 2017 Z71 4x4 Duramax with bose and navigation for 36,500 plus ttl. Had to go 6 hours away to get it but there are deals to be had. This is kind of high too, some have gotten them as low as 33,000.

·
Registered
2018 CCLB Duramax, Icon suspension, OME rear leafs, Leer 100XR
66 Posts
I wouldn’t expect any factory incentives until the 19s are out, but, mine is an 18 and like I said, I paid just a little over what you are quoted. I believe I walked away just over 39k but it is a diesel.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've been waiting anxiously for the end of the year to come so I can finally walk into a dealership and drive away in a new truck. Over the past couple of months, I made several scouting trips to local dealerships to see how much a truck was going to cost me.

Build Sheet:
2018 model year
4WD
Z71 package
crew cab
long bed
graphite metallic or satin steel metallic
premium audio
leather seats (if I can find a truck with them)

So far, the best price I've been able to get is $36,500 before tax and licensing for a truck with all the features listed above except the leather seats.

Do I have extra bargaining room? What kind of OTD prices (before tax + lic) have you guys been able to get?

NOTE: I'm on the west coast and am not trading anything in, just putting down a large down payment.
If you can't get 6,000 off sticker, walk away.

First vehicle I got a 34k colorado for 28k
2nd I got the 37.5k Canyon for 34k
and my new 44.5k Canyon for 38k

Just remember that it's a business transaction - You're not there to make friends, all the dealer has to do is sell it to you for a dollar more than it cost them to have it on the lot for them to "win"- they make more money off parts and service anyway. and try going to bigger dealerships

GM CONQUEST cash incentive - if you have a non GM vehicle registered to you $1,500

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
2017's are in short supply, but dealers are more willing to negotiate. Those are going to be your best deals if you can be flexible on some colors/options.

2018's probably aren't going to see incentives until mid-late 2018.

I just picked up a 2018 ZR2. I used the Costco Auto Buying Program which lowered the $45650 MSRP to low $43k, so just about $2k off sticker which really isn't that much for a pickup. I was also trading a vehicle, so they were willing to push up the value of the trade to make it more equitable, plus here in WA state, there's a sales tax credit for the trade, so that was another almost $2900 back in my pocket. The Costco deal also included a $700 gift card by mail.

Not my best deal because I usually buy the ugly duckling vehicles from the outgoing model year with piles of cash and incentives on the hood. But not a bad deal either, especially on a coveted, highly-featured model.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In October I got my 2017 Red Quartz Chevy Colorado 4x4 Dura Max Diesel Z71 for 35000 from an ohio dealer.Truck msrp for 42K.It was a great deal I traded in my 2016 Canyon SLT gasser forit.I love the diesel getting 27.5 to 29 mpg and its not even broken in yet!!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can't get 6,000 off sticker, walk away.

First vehicle I got a 34k colorado for 28k
2nd I got the 37.5k Canyon for 34k
and my new 44.5k Canyon for 38k

Just remember that it's a business transaction - You're not there to make friends, all the dealer has to do is sell it to you for a dollar more than it cost them to have it on the lot for them to "win"- they make more money off parts and service anyway. and try going to bigger dealerships

GM CONQUEST cash incentive - if you have a non GM vehicle registered to you $1,500
Around what time of the year did you buy your 2017 Canyon? Any dealers in Cali you'd recommend?

2017's are in short supply, but dealers are more willing to negotiate. Those are going to be your best deals if you can be flexible on some colors/options.

2018's probably aren't going to see incentives until mid-late 2018.

I just picked up a 2018 ZR2. I used the Costco Auto Buying Program which lowered the $45650 MSRP to low $43k, so just about $2k off sticker which really isn't that much for a pickup. I was also trading a vehicle, so they were willing to push up the value of the trade to make it more equitable, plus here in WA state, there's a sales tax credit for the trade, so that was another almost $2900 back in my pocket. The Costco deal also included a $700 gift card by mail.

Not my best deal because I usually buy the ugly duckling vehicles from the outgoing model year with piles of cash and incentives on the hood. But not a bad deal either, especially on a coveted, highly-featured model.
I'm doing the Costco program and live in Washington as well! Who did you end up going through? I've been talking mostly with Chevrolet of Puyallup, but there are some others in Bellevue and Everett as well.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you just gotta go in there full of confidence that you are in control, you sign the documents and there are plenty of dealerships for you-the customer.

They want YOU to do business with them, you have all the options in the world.

Let me put it another way, when I did the deal for my Gf's Used car, sticker at 24k, I got it out of there for 16k, it had been sitting on the lot for 190 days, they made a wopping $68 dollars off it. I did also use Car gurus and other apps to my advantage. when the dealer didnt want to deal, I showed the rep a similar car 24 miles away for 15k, with 8000 more miles (minus awd but i didn't mention that)
Also, remember that the dealership always buys used cars at poor condition, so when you go buy a used car KBB it and choose dealer-trade in -Poor condition and thats what they paid for it. and now you know how much it's REALLY worth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found a 2017 in my area for $35k, now I just need to wait till the 15th and hope it doesn't get sold! :surprise:

Worst comes to worst, I'll end up with one of the new 2018s.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I left town and bought my Canyon out of state, saved 7K vs. local Denver dealers, even after showing them the out of town dealer's pricing. Some got quite upset with me. It is too bad Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL does not sell Colorados. Their Canyon prices are almost inevitably the lowest in the country. I was actually set to buy a Colorado diesel but got my Canyon SLT with Laura, as my Canyon was less money than any comparable diesel Colorado anywhere I could find, plus the long box crew cab config I wanted is kinda rare, which made it harder. To be honest, I like the Canyon's dash better, but the Colorado's exterior better. In the end though, it was all about "showing me the money", and Laura showed me the money and my overriding trait is frugality vs. aesthetics. Canyon SLT it was then, and the Sierra that spent too much time in the dryer look as grown on me :laugh:

44K MSRP, 36.5K plus $169 doc fee was my OTD price, paid TTL in my home state. Mine was a straightforward purchase - no trade in, no financing with the dealer, no haggling, no BS, other than a pretty solid push from the finance guy to buy the extended warranty. Gave the standard "3 NO" response on the way overpriced ($2,200) extended warranty (which I knew I would likely void anyway, as I planned to tune my truck), wrote them a check and was outta there in about 1.5 hours, and drove home. That dealer is a well oiled out of state fly and buy machine - they do a ton of them, will even pick you up at the airport or hotel near the airport for free. There were 3 other people doing the same thing in the Yukon that picked me up.

I actually enjoyed the whole process - it really was a bit of a quest and an adventure, definitely not the typical way to buy a new vehicle :smile: I flew from Denver to St. Louis one way for $45, had $210 in hotel expenses (did not push hard, took two days to drive home) and probably less than $50 in fuel expenses, as the tank was full from the dealer, and that took me a good chunk of the 840 mile drive home. The effort required to lay in wait for the right truck to come along and then spring into action and lock in a great deal on the exact vehicle configuration I wanted was well worth it. Use Autotrader to search far and wide, do all the math, and don't rule out leaving town if you have to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I left town and bought my Canyon out of state, saved 7K vs. local Denver dealers, even after showing them the out of town dealer's pricing. Some got quite upset with me. It is too bad Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL does not sell Colorados. Their Canyon prices are almost inevitably the lowest in the country. I was actually set to buy a Colorado diesel but got my Canyon SLT with Laura, as my Canyon was less money than any comparable diesel Colorado anywhere I could find, plus the long box crew cab config I wanted is kinda rare, which made it harder. To be honest, I like the Canyon's dash better, but the Colorado's exterior better. In the end though, it was all about "showing me the money", and Laura showed me the money and my overriding trait is frugality vs. aesthetics. Canyon SLT it was then, and the Sierra that spent too much time in the dryer look as grown on me

44K MSRP, 36.5K plus $169 doc fee was my OTD price, paid TTL in my home state. Mine was a straightforward purchase - no trade in, no financing with the dealer, no haggling, no BS, other than a pretty solid push from the finance guy to buy the extended warranty. Gave the standard "3 NO" response on the way overpriced ($2,200) extended warranty (which I knew I would likely void anyway, as I planned to tune my truck), wrote them a check and was outta there in about 1.5 hours, and drove home. That dealer is a well oiled out of state fly and buy machine - they do a ton of them, will even pick you up at the airport or hotel near the airport for free. There were 3 other people doing the same thing in the Yukon that picked me up.

I actually enjoyed the whole process - it really was a bit of a quest and an adventure, definitely not the typical way to buy a new vehicle
I flew from Denver to St. Louis one way for $45, had $210 in hotel expenses (did not push hard, took two days to drive home) and probably less than $50 in fuel expenses, as the tank was full from the dealer, and that took me a good chunk of the 840 mile drive home. The effort required to lay in wait for the right truck to come along and then spring into action and lock in a great deal on the exact vehicle configuration I wanted was well worth it. Use Autotrader to search far and wide, do all the math, and don't rule out leaving town if you have to.
Thanks for the detailed write up! It certainly shines some light on my purchasing options and how I should go about the entire process. One big thing that I'm limited by unfortunately is that I cannot make an out of state purchase. This is due to the type of financing that I've received - the rate is worth it though!

I'm pretty much all locked in to buy the truck at this point. Just need to finalize insurance and wait a couple of weeks for finances to catch up so I can put down a large payment up front. The excitement is already tearing me apart! Have headlight/foglight conversion kits already on my desk, plus a leveling kit will be arriving by the end of the week.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up! It certainly shines some light on my purchasing options and how I should go about the entire process. One big thing that I'm limited by unfortunately is that I cannot make an out of state purchase. This is due to the type of financing that I've received - the rate is worth it though!

I'm pretty much all locked in to buy the truck at this point. Just need to finalize insurance and wait a couple of weeks for finances to catch up so I can put down a large payment up front. The excitement is already tearing me apart! Have headlight/foglight conversion kits already on my desk, plus a leveling kit will be arriving by the end of the week.
Parts already arriving and you don't have your truck yet. Sounds familiar. Yep, you got new truck fever bad :smile:

Good luck with your new truck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Parts already arriving and you don't have your truck yet. Sounds familiar. Yep, you got new truck fever bad :smile:

Good luck with your new truck!
I'm crossing my fingers that I settle down once I get it. Don't think I can afford dumping as much money into this truck as I do into my motorcycles :crying: Although a Baja Kits LT kit with full fiberglass fenders and a supercharger do sound nice...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I left town and bought my Canyon out of state, saved 7K vs. local Denver dealers, even after showing them the out of town dealer's pricing. Some got quite upset with me. It is too bad Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL does not sell Colorados. Their Canyon prices are almost inevitably the lowest in the country. I was actually set to buy a Colorado diesel but got my Canyon SLT with Laura, as my Canyon was less money than any comparable diesel Colorado anywhere I could find, plus the long box crew cab config I wanted is kinda rare, which made it harder. To be honest, I like the Canyon's dash better, but the Colorado's exterior better. In the end though, it was all about "showing me the money", and Laura showed me the money and my overriding trait is frugality vs. aesthetics. Canyon SLT it was then, and the Sierra that spent too much time in the dryer look as grown on me :laugh:

I actually enjoyed the whole process - it really was a bit of a quest and an adventure, definitely not the typical way to buy a new vehicle :smile: I flew from Denver to St. Louis one way for $45, had $210 in hotel expenses (did not push hard, took two days to drive home) and probably less than $50 in fuel expenses, as the tank was full from the dealer, and that took me a good chunk of the 840 mile drive home. The effort required to lay in wait for the right truck to come along and then spring into action and lock in a great deal on the exact vehicle configuration I wanted was well worth it. Use Autotrader to search far and wide, do all the math, and don't rule out leaving town if you have to.
What paperwork did you have so they wouldn't try to change the deal on you? I'm looking at buying out of state, but I'm afraid after I make the 3 hour drive they will start adding things figuring I'll pay rather than drive another three hours home without the truck.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What paperwork did you have so they wouldn't try to change the deal on you? I'm looking at buying out of state, but I'm afraid after I make the 3 hour drive they will start adding things figuring I'll pay rather than drive another three hours home without the truck.
Can't speak for other dealers of course, but with Laura Buick/GMC, their internet price is their price, plus $169 doc fee. They do lot of out of state business and they don't fool around. I did put a 2K non refundable deposit down, and they gave me a firm quote with amount due to take possession, with a pretty short time to do it. I flew out that Friday, drove home over the weekend. Since the deposit was non refundable, that amounts to a contract, which they honored. Buying from Laura was hard core. They know their prices are the best in the country and they do huge out of state volume. My sales guy claimed he has sold vehicles to buyers from every state in the continental US. Laura doesn't dick around, and in turn, the buyer can't either. They offer financing and all that, but I think they are best if you show up with cash in hand, and no trade in.

The one zit on the entire transaction at the end when the finance guy tried to rape me on the extended warranty which I said no to. Have no idea on their financing terms, I had those ducks in a row ahead of time. I sense they use their low prices to draw the buyers in and then attempt to add stuff. That is OK. Don't bite, walk out with a killer deal. Buying a vehicle is a pain in the ass, at least this was the least PITA new car transaction I have ever experienced.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
The one zit on the entire transaction at the end when the finance guy tried to rape me on the extended warranty which I said no to. Have no idea on their financing terms, I had those ducks in a row ahead of time. I sense they use their low prices to draw the buyers in and then attempt to add stuff. That is OK. Don't bite, walk out with a killer deal. Buying a vehicle is a pain in the ass, at least this was the least PITA new car transaction I have ever experienced.
I bought from Laura and had them set up the financing, it was painless and he just asked if I was interested in an extended warranty, I said no, and we moved on. I was in and out of the finance office in 10 minutes. I also had a trade-in and they were super busy since it was a Saturday afternoon.

They did come in $2,500 lower on my trade but they were also $2,500 lower compared to what my local dealer would sell for, I bought from Laura because they had the exact truck I wanted and my local dealer couldn't locate the same truck anywhere else, they also knew Laura wouldn't do a dealer swap and they had no desire to work with Laura anyway.

The punchline is if you have a trade and a good local dealer then you will probably net the same deal as if you bought from Laura, if you don't have a trade then Laura is hard to beat.

Reactions: Duken4evr
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.