Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone ever had this on their bumper ? Looks like it's worn prematurely - obviously doesn't wash or clean off.

This is on a 2018 Colorado with 9300 miles on it. This shouldn't be happening in my opinion, thoughts ?

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
888 Posts
Is that painted or grey plastic?

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
888 Posts
I used black magic tire shine on a rag on my cladding on my avalanche which worked pretty well- I know there are now products out there to refresh plastic parts that are sun faded.
first try scrubbing it with a microfiber cloth and just soap and water or maybe goof off.
if you do use a product for cladding or black magic etc make sure to use put it onto a rag to avoid your paint, and try it in a spot where you can test to see if it causes discoloration.
once done wash the truck to make sure any chemical reside doesn’t make its way back up onto your paint.
My 2002 avalanche was the poster child for this sort of UV abuse. They always use an Avalanche to show off plastic renewal products lol. Even the 3 piece tonneau covers were UV unstable plastic.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any idea how to get that off ? Or is it permanent ?
If it's wax residue, a white pencil eraser will work well. If it's sun damage, there are lots of trim restore products on the market that work well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's wax residue, a white pencil eraser will work well. If it's sun damage, there are lots of trim restore products on the market that work well.
Tried the white pencil eraser, didn't seem to have much of an effect. I have this
I used black magic tire shine on a rag on my cladding on my avalanche which worked pretty well- I know there are now products out there to refresh plastic parts that are sun faded.
first try scrubbing it with a microfiber cloth and just soap and water or maybe goof off.
if you do use a product for cladding or black magic etc make sure to use put it onto a rag to avoid your paint, and try it in a spot where you can test to see if it causes discoloration.
once done wash the truck to make sure any chemical reside doesn’t make its way back up onto your paint.
My 2002 avalanche was the poster child for this sort of UV abuse. They always use an Avalanche to show off plastic renewal products lol. Even the 3 piece tonneau covers were UV unstable plastic.
I had a 2004 Avalanche for years, and absolutely agree, the cladding was always a nightmare to keep looking good. I had pretty good success with this:

Disclaimer: you had to reapply this now and again depending on moisture etc. Think I'll give this a try on the bumper on the Colorado and see how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried the white pencil eraser, didn't have much effect. I used this on the cladding on my old Avalanche, worked pretty well so think I'll give it a try:

·
Registered
2017 AT4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,913 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
33 Posts
Maybe Chemical Guys clean slate. I think they have another product that strips wax also, but don’t remember the name. If you have a Detail Garage nearby to you, maybe they can suggest a good product.

·
Registered
2018 2wd 3.6L CCSB WT
258 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
chemical guys Trim Clean Wax and Oil Remover

thats what I have and that works really good

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone ever had this on their bumper ? Looks like it's worn prematurely - obviously doesn't wash or clean off.

This is on a 2018 Colorado with 9300 miles on it. This shouldn't be happening in my opinion, thoughts ?

View attachment 409440
Glad you were able to buff it out. However, IMO the mark looks like it was from a scuff impact. Note cracked paint (center left) near chrome bezel and top center of picture. Gray Bumper got shoved up and cracked painted portion of fascia in two places. Just the opinion of a former body/paint guy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts