Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I have 2017 Chevy Colorado and last summer, I went down the cheap road and installed a bumper and ball instead of full bolt on receiver. I am paying the price now! I have not only had to buy the bolt on receiver. I had to replace the Step up pad, Spare tire door and now I have to deal with this deep scratch. That I cause last summer. When I took the small Utility trailer off the ball it scratched my bumper. I ran my finger nail across the scratch and I feel it. If I order touch up paint would I be able to fix the scratch or is better not to even mess with it?
Never every go cheap on some parts, you will end up spending way more money in the long run!!
-Thanks Drake
P.S.
Bumper scratch picture below!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Looks to me to be a pretty deep scrap I'd put touch up paint over it if for no other reason to protect the metal from rusting. You will be able to see the place touched up. Other option you may/may not want to do is have a body shop try to mask off and feather paint in that area which a good body shop could make it look like it never happened.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Can that be fixed. Maybe....

Depends in how good you are at touching up. And it also may come down to how you deal with the results.

That is something I could get about 90% to the point I could live with it. But I have some experience with this.

You can build up the groove with paint and clear. Wet sand it once it is just over even. The polish it out.

The tough part is getting the touch up shook up enough to blend in color wise with the metallic paint. The amount of metallic suspended in the paint can vary. I usually warm the paint tube under warm water and that a lot.

The truth is try to fix it and if you don’t like it get it fixed. You have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
1,369 Posts
Put it this way, it will look better as a silver-colored huge scratch than a black one. (That is silver isn't it? Hard to tell from the pic.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to me to be a pretty deep scrap I'd put touch up paint over it if for no other reason to protect the metal from rusting. You will be able to see the place touched up. Other option you may/may not want to do is have a body shop try to mask off and feather paint in that area which a good body shop could make it look like it never happened.
Thank you so much for your feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can that be fixed. Maybe....

Depends in how good you are at touching up. And it also may come down to how you deal with the results.

That is something I could get about 90% to the point I could live with it. But I have some experience with this.

You can build up the groove with paint and clear. Wet sand it once it is just over even. The polish it out.

The tough part is getting the touch up shook up enough to blend in color wise with the metallic paint. The amount of metallic suspended in the paint can vary. I usually warm the paint tube under warm water and that a lot.

The truth is try to fix it and if you don’t like it get it fixed. You have nothing to lose.
Thank you so much for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
118 Posts
Do you or anyone you know have an airbrush gun?
I would highly recommend that for repairing scratches in metallic finishes. Brush-on paint (containing metallic flakes) never come out right due to how the metallic flakes settle on the surface.
If you do not have an airbrush gun -but DO- have the touchup paint, you can apply the paint with an "almost dry" brush. After the scratch is filled and primed, lightly tap the tip of the (almost dry) brush over the repair. It helps disburse the flakes much better than brush strokes.

I had a few scratches on my previous GMC which was silver. I used a spot filler to even them out, applied a light colored primer, then lightly airbrushed the exterior color and clearcoat. After about 2 days of drying, I wetsanded with 2,000 grit and buffed.

I do not know what your paint code is, but I still have a pint of the paint leftover from my silver GMC. The paint code for my previous silver Acadia was WA636R (Switchbade Silver Metallic).
I paid $65 + $11 s/h for it. I'll sell it for half that. I only used a few drops of it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You might be surprised how far you can go with polishing compound.

For deep scratches I reccomend gluing p120 to the end of a pencil eraser. And sanding the area down prior to applying touch up. This will significantly increase bond strength. Which means it won’t chip off when you try polishing over it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can buy a paint touchup kit on Amazon sold from ACDelco for your exact paintcode (not sure what your paint code is, so not going to try and link one). I've used one with good effects on some scratches on my truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts