Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey chiefs... I just got a Z71 last month. I love it, its awesome. I installed some westin nurf bars and now I want to put on a bull bar.

I'm thinking Go Rhino, LC2... the classic black one. I live in MD, where they make you have plates out front and back. It looks like this bar has holes for the license plate to be mounted.

Another good thing about this bar is that it allows you to keep the tow hooks attached.

Any suggestions? Comments are always welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
If the tow hooks are that important, then you're severely limited with what you can use as most bull bars replace them. If my truck is "yanked" out of something it's stuck in more than 1-2 times in the next 10 or so years I'm going to have it, I'm doing something wrong, so losing the tow hooks were not an issue for me. I also am of the firm belief that bull bars are for looks and for holding LEDs than providing any kind of structural integrity protection. I've seen literally a thousand crashes and am convinced they don't do a thing outside of an extremely low speed situation. The forces and energy transferred from objects/animals at or near highway speeds are just not going to be offset by a few bolts. Some would argue they actually cause more damage than not using one in significant collisions, but that's a topic for another day...

I went with the Pro Z LED bar (AutoAnything's brand). I like the look and the built-in LED should hold up a bit longer. All of my previous Westin stuff rusted out within 7 years anyway, so I'm not worried about off-brands for additions like this. So there's a story with the license plate bracket which I won't get into... But for now there isn't one, even though they told me there was prior to installation, then sent me one that didn't fit. I expect they will have one at some point, though. For now, I've got the plate behind the guard. It's obscured and therefore still technically illegal, but I'm hoping I'll get some points if I'm ever stopped at least for trying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put the Go Rhino bar on a couple weeks ago. I also like the fact that it lets you retain the tow hooks. My not ever need them but I know they are there if I do. The plate in front does have holes to mount the license plate. I opted to leave mine off and keep the plate mounted in the original location.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can someone with a bull bar that KEPT their tow hooks take a couple pics of how the bars mount around the hook and post them? I want a bull bar and, 1-I’m not willing to part with my tow hooks. 2-if the bull bar mounts so close to them that a tow rope or chain will smash the bull bar when I use the hook...then I’ll just go without the bull bar. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can't wait to get the bull bar off my Canyon. It's only there to hold a Rigid LED light bar. Bull bars provide very little front end protection and they absolutely trash the front approach angle. I've hit mine numerous times just going through some minor washes around Moab. I'm currently researching other options for mounting a light bar. The in-grill option doesn't allow for the type and size light bar I need. I'll end up with the light bar mounted in front of the lower grill, whether it is with a custom hoop-type mount attached to the tow hook mounts or to a Midwest Overland winch bumper. If the mount attaches to the tow hook locations, it will be in a way that does not affect the approach angle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't wait to get the bull bar off my Canyon. It's only there to hold a Rigid LED light bar. Bull bars provide very little front end protection and they absolutely trash the front approach angle. I've hit mine numerous times just going through some minor washes around Moab. I'm currently researching other options for mounting a light bar. The in-grill option doesn't allow for the type and size light bar I need. I'll end up with the light bar mounted in front of the lower grill, whether it is with a custom hoop-type mount attached to the tow hook mounts or to a Midwest Overland winch bumper. If the mount attaches to the tow hook locations, it will be in a way that does not affect the approach angle.
Keep us in the loop if you find something you like. I'm looking for a way to mount Hella driving lamps down on the front bumper. Right now they're up top and... ugh. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bull bars provide very little front end protection and they absolutely trash the front approach angle.

That's the main reason I never went with a Bull Bar plus the fact you lose in most cases, the front tow hooks. BTW, Thunderbear (A forum member) is working on or maybe has already made a set of brackets to mount a Steelcraft light bar on a non ZR2 Colorado. It sits a lot higher than a bull bar and doesn't affect your front approach angles.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Keep us in the loop if you find something you like. I'm looking for a way to mount Hella driving lamps down on the front bumper. Right now they're up top and... ugh. :)
I ordered the Midwest Overland bumper and the 30" Rigid RDS bar. They will both be here tomorrow. I will probably drill some holes in the top of the bumper to attach a custom-made bar on which to mount the light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.