Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about building a front tubed bumper but, i was thinking if its possible to keep the bumper the way it is now and just building a brush guard/ bull bar out of the two tow hook slots and was curious if its even possible or do u guys think it would be to hard to fabricate and install. or should i just take the bumper off completly and build one off the orignal bumper spot. anyone done anything like this and if so how much did the materials cost u and how long did it take. any info on the topic would be great. thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey does anyone else have ANY expierence with this stuff if so please let me know. theres got to be someone

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
gettingspeedy said:
gm brush guard mounts to the tow hook location
What he said.

So you can definitely create something that will mount there, and mounting there doesn't destroy your approach angle at all, either, at least not if you bring the mounts out through the holes in the front of the bumper that the tow hooks come out.

How to do it and make it look good, I leave up to you. I cheated and got the GM brush guard ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been working on mine for the past few weeks, its going to be a lightbar/grill guard. Mine mounts in the factory tow hook slots, and I fabbed some blocks so I didn't need to cut the bumper at all. Hopefully I'll have it done in another week and post some pics. Its just to cold to work in a non-heated garage right now

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is something like this what you have in mind?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/ ... 0853-1.jpg

This was built by Greg at BigRocks OffRoad. It mounts to the OE recovery hook attachment points.

It has some SOLID shackle mounts, and a 2" receiver hitch. (I've got a license plate stuck into the hitch for this photo).

Duane Scarborough

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i like the look of that alot and the fact that it keeps the bumper on the truck, but im also kinda curious about making a complete tubed bar, alot like the bumpers many jeeps have. but i havnt seen anyone on here that has something like that and i also dont know if it would look good or not. so thats my dilemma

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey jst000 ya i like the look of that one alot. looks really clean. im thinking of doing something like that or taking the entire bumper off and makeing a large tubed bumper that wraps around and gives the wheels more room. but i havnt seen anything on colorados like that so if anyone has any pics or knows of anyone that has something like let me know. and JST000 thanks alot man that pic gave me alot of ideas.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here is the starting thread of the lightbar I had designed and had built

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47643

Ok... Here are some photos for ya of the winch mounted.

AS you can see the winch is up high in the front and is tucked up close to the bar. It sits no lower than the lower part of the valence in the front. You can see the power conections are up and out of the way. The winch is a Smitty Built 8000 pound winch. I put syntehetic line on it too. Let me know if you want this line. I can do it for roughly 250.00 but not more than that with the safety thimble and heavy duty abarasion sleve. This winh was only 300 buks and made in the same facility as the warn winches. If you do a search on the winch over at http://www.pirate4x4.com you will find some good reviews on this winch compared to the other manufactuers.

From the back you can see it isn't as tight and high. Not sure it maters though. The winch plate is setup for the front. Just being able to do it from the rear is a bonus...

This is what I did for the battery and conections...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts