Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't spend a lot of time on this forum, so I don't know if this issue has popped up before. My 2016 Colorado is only 1 year 7 mos old, with about 7500 miles. Been great so far......

3 weeks ago, my wife noticed some oil spots where I normally park. Gear oil, and I traced it to the front diff. Took her in, and was told in about 45 minutes, that there was a bad seal. Dealer had them in stock, and would knock it out in 3-4 hours. 20 min later, another call. Turns out the fluid they drained was full of crud and looked like 200K miles. Time for a teardown. A couple of days later, they found the issue when they got into it: The vent for the front diff was pinched at assembly, so the diff was pressurized, hence the leak eventually. Some bad bearings were found and they'd get those and anything else in a day. Nope, there's a crush seal in the front axle, that isn't available. Apparently not sold as a part normally. Well, 4 weeks later and I'm in full court press. They got the GM regional office involved and a part will be pulled out of the factory and sent out. They offered to pay a payment as some restitution, but since I paid cash, we're talking warranty extension now.

So, if your front end is dripping.....

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Tell them to pull the front diff with a locker from a ZR2 for you as a replacement instead of the crush washer!

Seriously though, that's a tough spot to be without your truck for a month.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's totally possible..... I mean, when the diff breather is blocked, it can't 'vent' the heat/pressure thus the entire diff overheats, seals bust out, bearings, etc.

Thanks for the heads up!! I've love to see where the diff breather is....and check that first and foremost. I just haven't opened my hood in months recently. Busy summer......

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
If it's been in the shop for more than 30 days I would Lemon Law it and get one that doesn't have any problems. You're under the 2 year and 24k mile requirement.
Lemon laws vary from state to state.
If it was a recurring problem, I would look to venture down that road. But they found and owned the assembly issue, and getting non-typical repair parts seems to be an issue with these trucks. It sounds like they are going extra deep to get the needed parts, and volunteering a gratuity for his patience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lemon laws vary from state to state.
If it was a recurring problem, I would look to venture down that road. But they found and owned the assembly issue, and getting non-typical repair parts seems to be an issue with these trucks. It sounds like they are going extra deep to get the needed parts, and volunteering a gratuity for his patience.
Yeah I understand that. A 1 time issue isn't bad. But I have seen how crappy Chevy's quality is with my ZR2 I've had for 3 months. Going into the dealership for the 3rd time today. Transmission, suspension, tire issues. I got rid of my Jeep so I could have decent quality and this is almost worst than my Jeep. I mean the day I bought my ZR2 I found 3 bolts on the undercarriage that were so loose I could turn by hand....from the factory. That's just not acceptable quality control. Starting to regret my decision.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yeah I understand that. A 1 time issue isn't bad. But I have seen how crappy Chevy's quality is with my ZR2 I've had for 3 months. Going into the dealership for the 3rd time today. Transmission, suspension, tire issues. I got rid of my Jeep so I could have decent quality and this is almost worst than my Jeep. I mean the day I bought my ZR2 I found 3 bolts on the undercarriage that were so loose I could turn by hand....from the factory. That's just not acceptable quality control. Starting to regret my decision.
Now I understand where you are coming from, and why.
I truly hope they resolve your issues to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had no complaints about the truck-save this. I know miles are low, but a lot of things can pop up quickly in a new vehicle. I've been the calmest customer, as I travel a bunch for work-and they did get me a car this week, since I'll be home for a couple of weeks.

I live in a relatively small town, and the truck has occupied one of their lifts the whole time, so the dealer is motivated to get me taken care of too-lost income for them.

I'll probably go down the added warranty route with them as compensation, as I plan on keeping the truck a long time.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
On a new truck I think replacing the WHOLE differential would be appropriate after that kind of damage. Sounds like the whole diff would be easier to get than that crush sleeve. But I guess it's up to GM how to fix it, not me.... Hopefully the guy doing the repairs knows what he's doing. That extended warranty sounds like a great idea to me. Make sure you put it through its paces when you get it back to make sure it is sound. (and makes no sound)

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is why I'll probably never own a Chevy again, after my previous gen Colorado dies. I've owned it since it was new (2006) and it's had a laundry list of QC issues from the very beginning...electrical and mechanical problems of all types. I tried to sell it a few yrs ago and the guy wanted a service report, and once he saw all the problems it'd had he was gone with the wind. I simply don't understand why GM can't seem to do better than this. The Japanese brands have their issues, but never these kinds of QC nightmares.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To close this loop, the $5 part actually arrived a week earlier than what they told me, and I got her back after 26 days in the shop. Got a call yesterday afternoon, Chevy approved a 60 month/100K mile "Platinum" bumper to bumper warranty as compensation. I'm good with that, as I never buy extended warranties.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is why I'll probably never own a Chevy again, after my previous gen Colorado dies. I've owned it since it was new (2006) and it's had a laundry list of QC issues from the very beginning...electrical and mechanical problems of all types. I tried to sell it a few yrs ago and the guy wanted a service report, and once he saw all the problems it'd had he was gone with the wind. I simply don't understand why GM can't seem to do better than this. The Japanese brands have their issues, but never these kinds of QC nightmares.
Go Lurk on the Tacomaworld 3rd gen forums for a while and see just how happy they have been and all the QC issues they have as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tag me as another with a blown front differential in a 2016! That was the last straw before I went BBB and lemon-lawed my 2016. Had been in the shop 3 prior times for squeal at low speeds that developed in 4wd with the transfer case being pulled apart the 3rd time for the rear seal of the front output shaft that had become "like a brick" and needed to be replaced. Amazingly, I could count on one hand how many times I'd legitimately been in 4wd besides the monthly 10 minute run-ups on in-city straight-aways. Weeks later, I go snowboarding, sitting in stop and go traffic outside Yosemite for an hour in 2wd, not even thinking about 4wd as the roads were clear, I turn into the park and it sounds like I blew a power steering pump! Same noise I'd been having at low parking lot speeds but now up to 40 mph and NOT even in 4wd! Seemed to run fine so went in and went boarding. Got home, called the Service Manager Monday who agreed to take a look but wanted to give it time to see if I could figure out how to get it to replicate like the prior as this was new. I agreed reluctantly, waited a few weeks, no luck and it was coming up on the week we had agreed for him just to take it in and take a look. I back out of my garage, thick clear liquid on the floor, awesome. I babied it the rest of the week after seeing drips off the T-case and not knowing which color the magical synthetic fluid GM is using now, figured it blew another seal on the transfer case and since my service manager was on a cruise, figured I'd wait then have to tell someone else my life story. Took it in finally the following week, they threw it up on the rack so I could show 'em, Tech walks back out says it's not the T-case and says come look and shows me the differential. I thanked him and the service manager again for their diligence, turned around walked back out to the loaner, called my sales guy and he said call BBB who got in touch with GM and suddenly GM suddenly bent over backwards to get me out of that truck.

Did I mention it was built the week after Thanksgiving 2015 and totally acted like the "Friday at 4:45pm" stereotype build? I'd be curious what others who got trucks around that build time have been having far as issues. That was the last straw though among the RIDICULOUS amount of other things it'd been in for which both dealerships I'd taken it to (the one I was working out of town at the time and was closer too and then my "home" dealership) agreed that everything was amazingly legitimate, but I'd had some of the craziest problems! Probably helped especially after I'd tried to go GM direct and they initially extended my warranty with the "platinum " package as well with $0 deductible that really only covers Major Mechanical if you read it and isn't nearly as good as they make it to be (initial rep had said it was basically same as the 3/36) prior to the differential. Year and a half old with 26k miles and a blown front differential. Yeah it better be a new truck!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am on my fifth Canyon Pick Up and have experienced zero problems with any of them with the exception of GM recalls, I know things happen and there are " lemons" out there but I am happy and possibly fortunate I have not had problems. My dealer maintains my vehicle and provided a " lifetime warranty" when each was purchased.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.