Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a 13 day trip with my car club to California, with a side trip to Idaho for the eclipse. Caught a lot of flack for driving a truck but the wife's scoliosis won't let her do long trips in a two seater. Had a blast. Noticed a big increase in mileage after an oil change in Idaho Falls to full synthetic.

Was very impressed with a 550 mile run from Lander Wyoming to Raton Pass on one tank. Only took 19 gallons at end so I probably had the capability to exceed 600.

Passing ability with the v6 and 8 speed was phenomenal. Found the governor at 96 a few times.

Almost all of the highway driving was done at 75-80 mph. And by the way, Californians are horrible left lane hogs.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Fantastic photos. Way to break her in!

Just curious, what does the DIC do when you hit the governor? Have not done that yet, have a fantasy about crossed checkered flags. An oh my, what would the monthly truck driving nanny report email say about that? :laugh:

Reactions: Hal 9000

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fantastic photos. Way to break her in!

Just curious, what does the DIC do when you hit the governor? Have not done that yet, have a fantasy about crossed checkered flags. An oh my, what would the monthly truck driving nanny report email say about that? :laugh:
I'm not sure, as I wasn't paying too much attention to the DIC at that point.

As for the Nanny report, I'll post it here when I get it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great story! Some of those pictures look like they may be from Arizona? The two before the root beer stop.

And I LOVE a good root beer Float. It's pretty much a favorite.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Nice trip! Was that a picture of the lake at the Tetons? Truck looks great.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The first pic with the tank was at Ft. Hunter Liggett in Jolon Ca. One of our members is a retired Cobra Jock and he got us great rates as guests at the base hotel. Can't beat 85 bucks a night in Cali. This was our base of operations as we went to Carmel, Cannery Row, and Hearst Castle.

Pic of truck by lake is in Sierra Nevadas at 8500 feet. Not sure of lake name.

We watched the Eclipse at Mackay Reservoir in central Idaho.

The mountain pic is "Big Boobies National Park" (those french explorers must have been lonely)

The two in the red rocks area are in western Wyoming on our way to Lander.

Next time more PCH. All the good parts were closed down due to mudslides.

By the way, Android Auto and a subscription to Google Music is the bomb on a trip. Goodbye XM.

·
Registered
2017 Laser Blue extended cab 2WD WT (6-cylinder)
388 Posts
I am new to the Forum, but had to let you that I just broke in my Colorado in a similar manner at the same time. 5,461 miles from Indiana to Northern California and back via Arches National Park and Kentucky to view the eclipse. 25.8 mpg. I now have 7,420 miles on the truck. What can I say, a great traveling machine.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.