Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I drove my Canyon to work which I never do but I was tired of the old Tacoma. I noticed a strange clicking noise that I could also feel in the gas pedal and the steering wheel. On the way home from work I noticed that it was only at slower speeds but the sound did go up with the speed of the wheels (not the engine RPM).

I got home but put front end in the air and notice I hear a light clicking when I rotate the front drivers side wheel and it sounds like it is coming from the inside part(closest to the differential) of the shaft.

Cut the band clamp to find this.......

So question is do I just buy a new shaft for $158 or try and repair it.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-parts/2015/chevrolet/colorado/z71-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say get the new one. When rebuilding mine I had that out. You have to take things apart back to it but the axle itself just comes out with a sharp pull.
The problem is you don't know if it is the axle that is the problem or deeper in unroll you have it apart.
Either way good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I would say get the new one. When rebuilding mine I had that out. You have to take things apart back to it but the axle itself just comes out with a sharp pull.
The problem is you don't know if it is the axle that is the problem or deeper in unroll you have it apart.
Either way good luck.
+1

According to the service manual only 1 end comes apart so to replace 1 boot you may need to actually replace both. I forget which end.

Either way if you buy the complete replacement then you will have a spare once you rebuild that one

***EDIT*** Could also just be that it slipped out past it's internal clip. You try pushing it back in?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If it were me I would replace it and save yourself all the hassle of trying to repair it. Taking it out of the truck takes the same amount of time whether you want to repair it or replace it. I don't think you can buy the internals separately. The problem is this CV from GM probably costs a small fortune so, if I was confronted with the same situation I'd buy two aftermarket CV's (Cardone Select) and replace them both only because it would bug the heck out of me to have two different CV's, but that's just me, I'm a bit of a fanatic about things. JMHO

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Forgive the possibly stupid and obvious question, but wouldn't this be covered under warranty?
Highly unlikely to be covered with a 5.5" lift and larger tires on the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
wow and I just learned this in class today too.. you rekt your CV joint... my automotive repair teacher was sayin in the long run its cheaper for a new CV joint/axle than rebuilding it these days

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, how did you do that? It would not expect it to be from just driving along the road in 2WD...

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgive the possibly stupid and obvious question, but wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Not with the lift I don't think although with this lift there should be no extra strain on the shafts because it's a diff drop and the angles are the same.

+1

According to the service manual only 1 end comes apart so to replace 1 boot you may need to actually replace both. I forget which end.

Either way if you buy the complete replacement then you will have a spare once you rebuild that one

***EDIT*** Could also just be that it slipped out past it's internal clip. You try pushing it back in?

It's not that, I've already taken off the boot on the innermost joint and one of the 6 ball bearings (I think its 6) is missing and I believe it is the one I hear knocking around. Also when I pulled the boot off there was a sort of wire hanging out that looked like some sort of ring that holds the bearings in.

I've already ordered a new one for $160.

Well, how did you do that? It would not expect it to be from just driving along the road in 2WD...

I really don't know how I did this. Last time I was in 4wd was a few months ago on the beach.

Does anyone know if I have to drain the DIFF and remove a clip to get the shaft out or if it will just pull out?

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Not with the lift I don't think although with this lift there should be no extra strain on the shafts because it's a diff drop and the angles are the same.

It's not that, I've already taken off the boot on the innermost joint and one of the 6 ball bearings (I think its 6) is missing and I believe it is the one I hear knocking around. Also when I pulled the boot off there was a sort of wire hanging out that looked like some sort of ring that holds the bearings in.

I've already ordered a new one for $160.

I really don't know how I did this. Last time I was in 4wd was a few months ago on the beach.

Does anyone know if I have to drain the DIFF and remove a clip to get the shaft out or if it will just pull out?
It should just pop out, might take a big flat screw driver or prybar to pop it out though. Just pry on it a bit and wiggle it around at the same time.

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
it is a round clip that is mounted in a little slot on the shaft. it comes out with the shaft. There is a small slot in the carrier that that pressure clip pops into to hold the axle in. It pops out with pressure. It stays on the axle when you pry/pop it out. So basically, it just holds the shaft in with friction.

https://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/axle-clip-03-labels-600l.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
it is a round clip that is mounted in a little slot on the shaft. it comes out with the shaft. There is a small slot in the carrier that that pressure clip pops into to hold the axle in. It pops out with pressure. It stays on the axle when you pry/pop it out. So basically, it just holds the shaft in with friction.

https://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/axle-clip-03-labels-600l.jpg
^^^Like he said. Thats why i was asking you if it hadnt just over extended and "popped" out :wink2:

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, thanks. I'll pull the old one out tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't see the answer to the fluid question. No you should not loss fluid when you pull it out. I did not anyway. No reason to drain.
When you put the new clip on you were talking about be careful not to stretch it. It needs to just be pushed over the end. If you stretch it it does not go back. Don't ask me how I know?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Don't they make longer shafts for lifted kits?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.