Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I tell you....I am really impressed by the performance of the I5. I did not think the 4300 V6 could be topped, but the dual cam, all-aluminum I5 is a very sophisticated engine. I think the 4-valves per cylinder is a great design. Now that this engine is also powering the H3, I feel extremely confident in the powerplant!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Danny45 said:
You can take your manual and use it for toilet paper.

Every time I broke in a vehicle hard (motorcycle or car) it ran noticeably better than vehicles broken in via the recommended procedure. I'd take it easy for about 50 miles, then let 'er rip. And I've had over 20 vehicles in my time. When I bought my '89 S-10, I did a burn-out leaving the dealership parking lot. It had 6 miles on it. And I did have to replace the engine. But that was at 106,000 miles and only after someone sugared my gas tank.
Me too! :lol: Let's see, freshly built dragbike engine - one slow pass through the quarter mile and then balls to the walls for every pass after that. Never, ever had a problem due to break-in. Also, breaking in hard will expose any flaws and/or weak parts so you can get them replaced under warranty.

I agree that the manual is best used for anything other than break-in instructions!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
bought mine with 12k miles on it. it was a rental, kinda sketched me out, but still had the warranty on it. i been drivign the piss out of it and it runs great so i have no idea.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I read something once, and I dont remember the website...This guy says the first 20 miles on a new engine are the make it or break it miles as far as breaking it in, and seating the rings. He says you should, right off the lot, drop it in first, take the rpm to about 3 or 4 grand, then let off the gas and let the engine come down to idle, then do the same thing a couple times in second, and then third.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everybody I am most likely gonna pull the trigger on a 2020 cc 2wd 4cyl colorado and wanted thoughts on pulling a trailer. I drive approx 1800 miles/month and in about a month I will be buying a golf cart and want to trailer it home. Dealership is only about 12 miles from house. Would it be safe or wise to do so with less than 2000 miles on odometer? Will be using home depot 5x8 trailer most likely

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Today engines are generally ready from the start to be driven, The tolerances are much different today, the materials are better and cams are rolled now.

the break in is more for the differentials. Also it is good to take the new vehicle out to bed in the pads with a series of hard stops and them letting them cool before coming to a full stop.

it just coats the rotor evenly to keep the material even and prevent brake pulse.

Rings are low tension compared to the past and the seat in fast. Valve seats are hardened today so there is no issues there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Today engines are generally ready from the start to be driven, The tolerances are much different today, the materials are better and cams are rolled now.

the break in is more for the differentials. Also it is good to take the new vehicle out to bed in the pads with a series of hard stops and them letting them cool before coming to a full stop.

it just coats the rotor evenly to keep the material even and prevent brake pulse.

Rings are low tension compared to the past and the seat in fast. Valve seats are hardened today so there is no issues there.
Glad to see this I had a new 16 and then 17 Shelby GT 350 and like most performance cars guys on those forums would say drive them like you stole them right off the dealership lot. Well ya! thats fine with the engine but what about those new gears in transmission and differential that need some time to seat properly. I've also known of some complaining of differential whine after a few thousand miles from not letting those gears get seated in duh!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Pulling a small trailer for that short of a distance and 2,000 break-in miles will likely be fine. That said. . . . for any new vehcile - - - :
Best to follow GM Owner's Manual break-in recommendations for a new vehicle .
Also, if you have a problem and were "hot rodding", "sending", and/or doing heavy throttle acceleration, that activity can be read from the ECM for a period of time. So if your vehicle has a problem (even after break-in). . . a dealer service tech can read vehicle driving habits.
Error on the side of caution if you want vehicle longevity and reliability.
Any other advice is selling speculative ideas.
Hey everybody I am most likely gonna pull the trigger on a 2020 cc 2wd 4cyl colorado and wanted thoughts on pulling a trailer. I drive approx 1800 miles/month and in about a month I will be buying a golf cart and want to trailer it home. Dealership is only about 12 miles from house. Would it be safe or wise to do so with less than 2000 miles on odometer? Will be using home depot 5x8 trailer most likely

21 - 30 of 30 Posts