Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Midnight
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up y'all! Just bought my first truck last night, a 22 Rado Z71! Couldn't be more excited! I'm all ears on any need-to-knows or just general advice!

I bought the truck as I live in Alaska and soon to move in North Dakota so a more adequate winter vehicle is a necessity. Along with that I plan to make the drive from AK to ND in March so a vehicle with towing capacity that can handle some winter roads is needed.

With that being said I am thinking of lifting the truck but am unsure if I should wait until after the 2,000 mile plus drive. What are your thoughts?

Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
5,276 Posts
Welcome Aboard. Congrats on your purchase

Reactions: BoaterZ71

·
Registered
2016 Diesel Colorado Crew Cab "Long" Box
6 Posts
I'm a retired sports car racer and thus not a fan of lifting unless you are going to do some REAL rock crawling, Chevrolet has built some significant safety features into your truck that help "keep the shiny side up" when the worst starts to happen. Raising your truck defeats many of those roll-over safeguards, Plus it reduces your fuel economy - even worse if you add wider tires and/or wider/offset rims. Just my two cents, but I was the Idaho State Highway Fatality Coordinator and have taken on sport bikes in the twisties in a mini-van ;-).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a retired sports car racer and thus not a fan of lifting unless you are going to do some REAL rock crawling, Chevrolet has built some significant safety features into your truck that help "keep the shiny side up" when the worst starts to happen. Raising your truck defeats many of those roll-over safeguards, Plus it reduces your fuel economy - even worse if you add wider tires and/or wider/offset rims. Just my two cents, but I was the Idaho State Highway Fatality Coordinator and have taken on sport bikes in the twisties in a mini-van ;-).
fair enough then. I think with it being a winter drive the safest thing to do is leave it as is! The truck came with wrangler duratrac's on it, are these fairly decent winter tires or should I look into something more suited towards snow and ice, in your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
5,276 Posts
fair enough then. I think with it being a winter drive the safest thing to do is leave it as is! The truck came with wrangler duratrac's on it, are these fairly decent winter tires or should I look into something more suited towards snow and ice, in your opinion?
The Duratrac are decent. Also depends on where you drive and all.
I swapped mine out for Continental TerrainContact A/T:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continental-terraincontact-a-t
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I leveled mine out. Looks so much better this way in my opinion.
View attachment 437996
...wow yea it does! Any effect on towing?? What did you use?

Edit: also, looks like you did the wind defector on the bottom of the front bumper delete, that looks really sharp too... hmmm

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
793 Posts
...wow yea it does! Any effect on towing?? What did you use?

Edit: also, looks like you did the wind defector on the bottom of the front bumper delete, that looks really sharp too... hmmm
I used the Rough Country front Nitrogen shocks. I used to tow a Kendon motorcycle trailer. Sold it and just received a Moto-Tote motorcycle hitch carrier.

Yes, got rid of that ugly air dam below. Once you take it off, you can see the mud tires so much better from the front and the truck looks more aggressive.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado ZR2
8 Posts
I like the wrangler duratracs but can’t say about winter driving as I switch to studded winter tires here in NE Oregon. Studs really do help on icy roads

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the Rough Country front Nitrogen shocks. I used to tow a Kendon motorcycle trailer. Sold it and just received a Moto-Tote motorcycle hitch carrier.

Yes, got rid of that ugly air dam below. Once you take it off, you can see the mud tires so much better from the front and the truck looks more aggressive.
Do you have spacers on your wheels? Those are the stock midnights right?

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
793 Posts
I had the Bora 1.25 inch spacers on my Midnight. Just took them off though. I think I might list the here for sale in a week or so. Im fine with the look without them on there with the F.W. tires with my stock Midnight rims.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts