Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been having a problem with the right rear brake squeaking. I've taken the truck in 4 times, had the rotors, pads, and hardware replaced and the noise still reappears. After having everything replaced the noise went away for a few days and then came back. It only happens with light brake pressure, and it squeaks with the speed of the wheel. I'm at a loss. It's worth noting that the axle end play is around 1/16 of an inch. I know some end play is normal because of the c-clips, but idk if maybe it's out of tolerance. Problem first appeared around 4000 miles and truck currently has 10000 miles. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had a bad speak from my driver side rear. Didn't even bother with dealer. Found I had an upper pin that was seized. Whatever grease was used turned to a reddish brown clay. Took some work to free it up. Bottom pin had same type of grease but wasn't seized. Cleaned them up and re-greased the pins, sliders and back of pads with Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant and has been quite since. Inspected the passenger rear and it had a clear grease on the pins and those moved freely. Still ended up cleaning them up and re-greased as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i had a bad speak from my driver side rear. Didn't even bother with dealer. Found I had an upper pin that was seized. Whatever grease was used turned to a reddish brown clay. Took some work to free it up. Bottom pin had same type of grease but wasn't seized. Cleaned them up and re-greased the pins, sliders and back of pads with Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant and has been quite since. Inspected the passenger rear and it had a clear grease on the pins and those moved freely. Still ended up cleaning them up and re-greased as well.

I'll take a look. They said they already regreased the caliper. I think that was the second time I took it in

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had an issue with my rear drivers side brakes squeaking, and it was determined that the axle was bent. Hadn't had a squeak since replacement.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Generally a noisy pad is a loose pad. The noise is due to it being lose and vibrating.

Check how tight it is in place and if the sound deadener pad is in place.

The sound deadener pad keeps separating from the brake pad on the piston side of the caliper

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the truck back in. They ordered FRONT pads and rotors now and took my wheel spacers off. Said the wheel spacers could be causing the issue, but I haven't heard of a single person having issues with their wheel spacers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after the 5th time taking it in and they've been in contact with GM, GM tells them that it is acceptable noise and that it's normal for these trucks. Basically I have to deal with what sounds like a bad wheel bearing forever on my 40 thousand dollar truck. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My brake squeak drove me crazy. Later what I discovered was the squeak was actually from the front. There is a thin pad between the back of the brake pad and caliper piston. There was a hole wore / burnt through that pad right around the piston so the piston made contact with the back of the brake pad. Its easy to pull the pads and look.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yep squeaks are often pad issue and often they are lose or the backing has an issue.

The pads vibrate and that often crates the squeak. The backing kills or dampens the vibration. The noise hurts nothing but it can bother some.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I figured out the squeak. The dust shield behind the rotor was bent real close to the rotor causing the rotor to hit it when the caliper pulled it in while braking. Since I've fixed it, no squeaks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I figured out the squeak. The dust shield behind the rotor was bent real close to the rotor causing the rotor to hit it when the caliper pulled it in while braking. Since I've fixed it, no squeaks

Interesting. I am glad you told everyone what you found. Your information will help others in the future and will be something I will look at when I change my brake pads.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. I am glad you told everyone what you found. Your information will help others in the future and will be something I will look at when I change my brake pads.

No problem man. I figured after 4 visits to the dealer I'd start sharing my journey through this issue. Maybe it'll help somebody down the line. Overall, in upset the mechanics at the dealer didn't find it. But I'm glad that it's fixed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I've been having a problem with the right rear brake squeaking. I've taken the truck in 4 times, had the rotors, pads, and hardware replaced and the noise still reappears. After having everything replaced the noise went away for a few days and then came back. It only happens with light brake pressure, and it squeaks with the speed of the wheel. I'm at a loss. It's worth noting that the axle end play is around 1/16 of an inch. I know some end play is normal because of the c-clips, but idk if maybe it's out of tolerance. Problem first appeared around 4000 miles and truck currently has 10000 miles. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks for reading

I just fixed a 2004 Colorado with squeaky drum brakes.

It turns out it is design flaw in the spacing between the drum and the backing plate holding the shoes.
Over time and with some rusting the axle end play allows the rear hub/drum assembly to rub the stamped steel backing plate.
If you remove the drum you may notice some bare metal exposed on the edge of the backing plate. I took a drill motor with a small grinding wheel on it and trimmed the backing plate where the bare metal was exposed by the rubbing. I also tapped the plate with a hammer (gently) where it was rubbing to move it away from the drum.

No more sqeaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,
Is anyone else still having wheel/brake squeaking issues? I recently bought a used 2018 Colorado and shortly after I started getting a squeaking from what sounds like the passenger side rear, and it goes on time with the wheel turning when brake is gently pressed, at about parking lot speeds.
I've taken it back to the dealer 2x now and they say they can't find a problem. They lube and oil everything which stops it from squeaking for maybe a month. The second time there I literally made a list of possibilities put forth by this thread and told them to check it all. They said they did and all looks normal.
I also discovered the truck was in twice in the months before I bought it for brake work both times and the pads and rotors were replaced. That was only 7 months ago so they said those parts still look good and show no excessive wear.
I'm told Chevy is aware of the issue but no fix has yet been identified... ?
Thoughts or advice?
Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This is really common with disc brakes. It's often confused with a warped rotor or glazed pads. The problem is that the pads vibrate in the caliper and make that high pitched squeal. When the pads come in light contact with the rotor, it sets up the vibration. As you add more brake pressure, it stops the vibration and the noise.

Remove the pads, and clean the backing and the caliper contact points really well; use a wire brush and brake cleaner. Put them back together using something like this. It's a thin goo, and acts like an adhesive. Permatex® Disc Brake Quiet - Permatex

Re-assemble, and apply only very light brake pressure. Just enough to bring the pads in light contact with the rotors. Then let the truck sit over night.

You can also switch to a ceramic pad. They also vibrate and make noise. But it's at such a high frequency you can't hear it. If you go this route, read the pad specs very carefully. Some ceramic pads are not rated for towing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts