Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Michelin Defender LTS M/S tires today. Went with stock size of 265/60R18. After 54k, the OEM tires barely passed State inspection and I was having a lot of traction loss on wet roads. They seem a tad louder than the OEMs did when new but they sure grip well. Was raining and could goose it off the line without issue. $950 out the door with speed balance and alignment check. After 54k I expected an alignment issue but it was within specs. I used Mavis Tire and for the one near me I would recommend them, nice folks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Holy smokes, how did you get 54k on a set of tires? My stockers were done at 32k, and I drive the diesel, like an old man LOL. This is about par for the course here in FL, where are you located? Side note, I tried several different tires over the almost 20 years I owned my old truck (Tacoma) and the Michelin LTX M/S were definitely the best overall for daily driving.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I expected an alignment issue but it was within specs.
That's good to know. I needed an alignment at 12k. Both the fronts were wearing unevenly and were way out of spec, particularly the toe. Of the 14 items they spec only 5 were in spec and two were so far out of spec they were practically out of range of the test results. I was fearing it would be a repeated expense, but apparently someone was high or pissed when they assembled my truck.

It goes around corners much better now. When I first got the truck I was very unhappy with the stability around corners, but I was assuming it was the increased height of modern trucks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy smokes, how did you get 54k on a set of tires? My stockers were done at 32k, and I drive the diesel, like an old man LOL. This is about par for the course here in FL, where are you located? Side note, I tried several different tires over the almost 20 years I owned my old truck (Tacoma) and the Michelin LTX M/S were definitely the best overall for daily driving.
Raleigh. Somewhat sane driving though I do get a burr up my *** every once in a while. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know. I needed an alignment at 12k. Both the fronts were wearing unevenly and were way out of spec, particularly the toe. Of the 14 items they spec only 5 were in spec and two were so far out of spec they were practically out of range of the test results. I was fearing it would be a repeated expense, but apparently someone was high or pissed when they assembled my truck.

It goes around corners much better now. When I first got the truck I was very unhappy with the stability around corners, but I was assuming it was the increased height of modern trucks.
Toe was (L) 0.02 and (R) 0.06. Spec is 0.0 to 0.20
Camber was (L) -0.1 and (R) 0.0. Spec is 0.9 to -.7
Caster was (L) 2.4 and (R) 2.9. Spec is 4.2 to 2.2

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have about 10k on my Michelin Defended LTX M/S tires now. Best all around performance I have experienced from a tire. Had some snow and ice the other day, tires are fantastic , way better than I expected in snow, and much better than the BFG KO2 that I had on before these ones.
Drove down to the spring to get pure drinking water on the weekend, there was some slick mud as you approach the spring, just idled thru in 2wd. On the way back the truck was riding so smooth with 100 gallons of water in the bed , tires soak up the bumps well. Truck sat nice and level with the Timbrens keeping weight in check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts