Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New here. I bought a 2017 colorado lt 2wd with the 4 cylinder. Noticed a shudder at low rpm when just cruising around, light on the throttle. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the torque converter and fixed a transmission leak that it had.

Seems to run better, but still not like i'd expect. How low is the rpm just cruising around at say 25-30 mph. My truck seems to be around 12-1300 rpm. Seems low to me, but nothing to compare it to. Anytime I need to accelerate at all, it has to downshift.

Ya'll think it needs some sort of ecu flash? Or some sensor or transmission issue :oops:?

Anyways, kinda bummed on my "new" truck.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Hi guys. New here. I bought a 2017 colorado lt 2wd with the 4 cylinder. Noticed a shudder at low rpm when just cruising around, light on the throttle. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the torque converter and fixed a transmission leak that it had.

Seems to run better, but still not like i'd expect. How low is the rpm just cruising around at say 25-30 mph. My truck seems to be around 12-1300 rpm. Seems low to me, but nothing to compare it to. Anytime I need to accelerate at all, it has to downshift.

Ya'll think it needs some sort of ecu flash? Or some sensor or transmission issue :oops:?

Anyways, kinda bummed on my "new" truck.
That's a tough one, not many 4 cyl owners here although there are a few. Maybe someone can tell you if it seems normal.
Is it under warranty? Maybe take it back?
The only thing I can think of is clean the throttle body just in case.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Welcome! Shift points are relative to load. So if you have light load, it will shift into higher gears and bring your rpm down to conserve fuel. My V6 does the exact same thing of upshifting as much as possible then downshifting if I need some get up.

Is it still shuddering after the work? Or is the issue now just that it's cruising at a lower than expected rpm? If it's the latter, it's probably working as expected.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
@Goatpoo 2016 4cyl owner here. Had the torque converter replaced around 7K miles. Everything you described sounds familiar after the part was replaced. No issues for me though, now at 51k.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
It sounds fine, my V6 will be up in 7-8th gear at 35mph, just touched the throttle and it will down shift..after a while you will not notice it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I worded that poorly i guess. It does still have a bit of a shudder. Not as bad as it was before the put a new torque converter in, but definitely still noticeable. Main thing im asking i guess, is if any of you other 4 cylinder guys cold confirm that their truck runs at like 1300-1400 rpm when just very light on the throttle going down the road. Around 25-30 mph is when the shudder is most obvious.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I worded that poorly i guess. It does still have a bit of a shudder. Not as bad as it was before the put a new torque converter in, but definitely still noticeable. Main thing im asking i guess, is if any of you other 4 cylinder guys cold confirm that their truck runs at like 1300-1400 rpm when just very light on the throttle going down the road. Around 25-30 mph is when the shudder is most obvious.
I have the V6 but it is for sure it should not shudder. Sounds to me like your new torque converter is slipping. I would take it back to the dealer under warranty. Take someone for a ride to confirm the problem otherwise you might get the famous 'no problem found' routine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could be NVH from low engine speed with relatively high load. I know my wife's turbo 4 car shakes like crazy if she lets boost build at low RPMs you could be experiencing a similar thing, high load/low engine speed causing major low frequency non-isolated torque pulses.

Alternatively, there are some shudder related 6L service documents out there -- PIP5504E -- That one in theory doesn't apply to the 6L50 (only 6L80/90) but they're all basically the same architecture. Short description is: Shake/shudder 30-65mph, rumble strip, present in D and M5 under light throttle or tip in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts