Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the few options my Z71 did not come with off the lot is the Bose premium sound system. I have owned my truck for about a month now and I don't really seem to be wanting for better audio performance at this point. I have been impressed with base Chevy speakers and system and the audio quality they deliver. Maybe I'm just not an audiophile and I don't know what I am missing? My wife's Traverse has the Bose system and I don't know in comparing the two that I can tell a huge difference.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Bose home audio with the cubes and bass module. Amazing sound from those little cubes. I always thought Bose in cars was overrated. I had it in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. I also have it in my 2019 Canyon. My wife has a VW Tiguan with base radio and I think it sounds as good if not better than the Bose in the truck. Maybe I am not listening to it loud enough, maybe really pounding it lets the quality show.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I can tell you the GM Bose no way compared to the Dodge Bose system . The Dodge Bose system was much better than GM's. I dont have a Bose in my Canyon but did have it in the loaner Acadia and I really could not tell the difference between the stock and Bose in the GM models.

If I were to buy another truck and had the option to get the Bose in it , there is no way I would pay extra for the GM Bose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently sold my 2009 Silverado LTZ dually and bought this Colorado. I was surprised that both Bose sound systems in both trucks sounded the same. I never thought the sound was very good in the Silverado, and the Colorado is no better. The Bose audio in my 2017 SS Camaro sounds way better, but still nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Bose is not the best system out there but it is a little better than the base system. Add a Sub and it helps fill out the sound better. It lack in balance and sound from the rear. I was not happy with my Bose till I added the Kicker. My old Pioneer system with a sub in my HHR was better sounding and better balanced.

Not horrible but GM could and should have done better.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Being an old fart that can only hear well out of one ear the GM factory (Its not Bose) system in my 2019 LT Colorado crew cab 4x4 sounds just fine to me. I set the fade to about middle of truck for best sound.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The Bose system has good total balance. The speakers are cheap, but they DSP'd the Hell out of the system and the cheap speakers are giving it their all. The amp that comes with the Bose system has appropriate power for the speakers it is driving and can reach good volume levels. As others have mentioned, the bottom end response is light and and a bit muddy, but the Bose system is not horrible for what it is, and way better than the base system I listed to. Would I like the Bose better if GM spent a few extra bucks on better speakers? Sure I would. Damn bean counters...

So it is fair to say that the Bose lacks a bit compared to other vehicle's upgraded sound options, but to be blunt, the base system sounded like complete sh%t to my ear, with an unfixablely (via the tone controls) weak/absent bass and tinny overbearing midrange response that is typical of cheap systems. A big part of what you are paying for with the Bose is not the actual hardware in the truck, it is the digital signal processing that went into building the system.

To get an idea of how bad the base system is, read this thread. LansonF really went into detail :LOL:

You can see what I am talking about with the base system's frequency response. As Lanson said, "This is ABYSMAL. This stock system is completely useless. There's gigantic gaps in frequency response..." The huge valley at 200Hz in particular makes the bass sound weak/thin and unsatisfying.

To my ear, the Bose does sound better if you disconnect the center speaker - it is a little less loud, but has better imaging that way - the center speaker muddies things up a a bit. I like crisp sound, and it takes very little adjustment on the tone sliders to make it sound as good as it can to my ear. The Bose is good enough that the source matters greatly. FM does not cut it - playing lightly or uncompressed music off my phone through it sounds night and day better than FM.

If you just want a turn key no brain damage OEM system that sounds decent, I do think the Bose is worth the extra cash. If you really want a thumping system, better to get the base unit, tear it all out and put good stuff in.

Some have had good luck doing it, but adding better speakers to the Bose is a little dicey as the system's signal to the speakers is processed for the speakers that are in there. Better speakers with correct response may or may not play nice with that. I chose to just listen to it as is. The system in my basement is where the true audio badassery lives :cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alternative data point: I had a chat with a dealership inventory manager a while back. IIRC, there are two infotainment systems: base and deluxe (that may correlate to screen size, or could just be within the larger screen option). When ordering a vehicle, you can pay something like $500 for the upgraded infotainment system, the Bose system is $500, and the Navigation is $500. All three result in the upgraded infotainment system being delivered with the navigation option adding the little SD card reader. When I ordered my truck (a Bison), it was already about as fully loaded as fully loaded can possibly be just with the one box checked, but lacked only the upgraded infotainment system (I assumed based on it not being listed anywhere as part of the deal with either the Bison or the ZR2). So to properly ice the cake and have pretty much every option that I wouldn't be able to dig out of a yard and bolt on later with minimal fuss, the Bose was the route that gave me the upgrade AND a little extra that I would possibly ever use.

That said, with past vehicles, I've gone out of my way to not even have radios; I just listen to the well built and well tuned engine I had worked so hard on and otherwise kept myself company with my thoughts.

As for removing the center speaker... I'm going to disagree with you there. I don't consider myself an audiophile (too much baggage), but I have an extension vinyl collection, used to be a paid musician, I'm a luthier and can tune a guitar's tone from the bare wood out, etc. I don't have any experience with the base system, and don't have any strong opinions about the quality of the Bose system. It doesn't sound especially remarkable, but I haven't done anything with it that would give it a chance to. That said, there's someone involved in that Bose project that had such opinions, and they at least gave it a solid go. I'd trust the acoustician re: whether or not speakers are in play.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am by no means an audiophile, in fact I generally listen to audio books on my long commutes. I found the best sound upgrade I did was to swap out factory muffler for a Magnaflow. Something about the factory exhaust note would drown out a lot of the male narrator voices. The Magnaflow note whatever tone it is, doesn't seem to conflict with whatever frequency the deeper male voices are at. I don't know if this would apply to you serious music listeners, but it may help for the lower end of the sound. Obviously for books, I wouldn't be looking at the Bose.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have it in my 18. I find it ok. Really no complaints with it. My 12 Xterra had the factory RF system in it. Sub was under the drivers seat. That was a nice system for what it was,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Maybe its my imagination, but after a few years I swear my Bose sounds a lot better. Its always sounded awful on Sat radio, most stereos do, but most of my music listening is streaming and it sounds pretty damn good on a lot of the songs I stream.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can guess my job for the past 25+ years from my account name. My ears (and obviously my voice) are my bread and butter, and I've been heavily into high end audio from a very young age thanks to my dad. IMHO, the Bose system is the bare minimum for me if I'm going to spend any time listening to it. If I'm not paying attention and just want background music or talk radio, the base system is fine. I can't get away from my ears though so it would still bug me to death. I find the Bose in our twins to be tuned for pretty realistic tonal response but it would be nice to have more manual control. As @Duken4evr mentioned, the source makes a huge difference in the results. Being in a truck I'm not expecting ANYTHING like my home system, so I'm happy with it for what it is. The type of music you listen to will also greatly affect your perception. I'm more interested in lifelike reproduction than massive thumping bass (which is major distortion for acoustic music) so the Bose works pretty well for me. Other types of music I might want more definition and power on both ends of the spectrum, but then again for clarity and massive power, I go to the man cave. All depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend. My answer would probably have been different a few decades ago!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You can guess my job for the past 25+ years from my account name. My ears (and obviously my voice) are my bread and butter, and I've been heavily into high end audio from a very young age thanks to my dad. IMHO, the Bose system is the bare minimum for me if I'm going to spend any time listening to it. I find the Bose in our twins to be tuned for pretty realistic tonal response but it would be nice to have more manual control...The type of music you listen to will also greatly affect your perception. I'm more interested in lifelike reproduction than massive thumping bass (which is major distortion for acoustic music) so the Bose works pretty well for me. Other types of music I might want more definition and power on both ends of the spectrum, but then again for clarity and massive power, I go to the man cave.
Excellent point about what kind of music one is listening to. The Bose does it's best on acoustic material that has higher frequency detail and is not bass driven.

I think the sound engineers gave the Bose system their digital all and really did a good job when it came to electronically corralling the system's sound into as accurate an output as possible, given the constraints of what they had to work with hardware wise and in a truck no less.

Pushing bass heavy music to higher volume levels has the mirrors blurring and plastic door panels vibrating. Car doors are not stiffly constructed sonically dead and braced carefully tuned for frequency response enclosures like the ones housing the drivers in the cool man cave. They are comically flappy things designed for another purpose with cost conscious drivers specified by a cost cutting vehicle manufacturer screwed into them. I am kinda amazed the Bose system manages to sound as good as it does :LOL:

Given your obvious passion and knowledge when it comes to audio, I can only imagine your home system is cool as Hell :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having had Bose systems in my '14 LaCrosse and '04 Ultra, I can really notice a significant degradation in sound quality with my factory '20 Colorado. That being said, I don't value Bose as a $500 adder regardless of how good it sounds. Any recommendations on after-market speakers/amps that could make a step-improvement for less than $250?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Having had Bose systems in my '14 LaCrosse and '04 Ultra, I can really notice a significant degradation in sound quality with my factory '20 Colorado. That being said, I don't value Bose as a $500 adder regardless of how good it sounds. Any recommendations on after-market speakers/amps that could make a step-improvement for less than $250?
Do you have the Bose system in the truck?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
No, I only have the non-Bose factory system.
I'll let you know then. But, I will be ~$630, and maybe more if a sub is needed. I just got the speakers today, and waiting on the amp. Everything will be run off the factory IO5 HU. I will do the speakers 1st ($320) to see if that is worthy alone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2020 has the Bose. It is WORLDS better than the shitty OE stereo in my '05 Jimmy ZR2- but is not as good as the Rockford Fosgate in my '15 Xterra Pro-4X which I am quite happy with for OE.

Does the Bose system in my 2020 'rado have a sub? It sure seems to vibrate the mirrors when I turn it up... though the sound quality seems to drop when getting beyond half volume.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts