Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of you sent me PM's concerning the weatherization option that I developed and ran last winter on the BMS catch can.
Though it worked for me, those of you in even colder climates may want to increase the thickness of this fix, maybe even add a bottom layer. This product is a "bubble filled, dual sided Mylar insulation product" called TekFoil Reflective Insulation.
We rarely get to 15° F. around here but it seemed to work just fine. There may be other ideas so if you have developed one post it up!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw your earlier post and was wondering about that. One question for you, how do you empty the can? Just remove the tie wraps and insulation, dump it, then put the insulation back on?

Edit: I just went searching for this insulation and so far only find it in large quantities at a substantial price. Do you have a source for a small amount that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I currently don't need this, but am planning on moving to colder weather and would like to be prepared. Please help me out here, as I believe oil does not freeze, why would you need this?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Oh, they can freeze. Not mine, found this pic on the internet. There is a lot of condensation during cold weather and it can freeze. Wrapping some heat tape on everything would likely prevent this, but all that stuff is meant for pipes, gutters, etc, and it is all 120V.

Found this while searching around. Big diesel generator engines have this problem also.

https://www.engenity.com/custom-products/caterpillar-genset-catch-can/

Hmm. Here is a kit for the Provent 200, which I have. They do make it about has hard as possible to buy though, the price is a big secret on their site, and ya gotta call. Looks pretty cool though, the system is automatic, heating only when needed.

https://www.oemheaters.com/product/7196/intellithaw-heating-jacket-for-provent-200-ccv-filters

More info/stuff. The distributor is in Minnesota. Imagine that...

https://www.oemheaters.com/topic/diesel-freeze-prevention

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw your earlier post and was wondering about that. One question for you, how do you empty the can? Just remove the tie wraps and insulation, dump it, then put the insulation back on?

Edit: I just went searching for this insulation and so far only find it in large quantities at a substantial price. Do you have a source for a small amount that won't break the bank?
As I don't run it with a cover on the bottom I just turn the 3/8" brass stop cock drain valve that I installed. Send me a PM with your address. PayPal $1 for envelope and postage. I can send you some of the insulation in a flat envelope. Zip ties are universal so that is not a hard find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.