Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have downloaded the Owners Manual which I have been reading while I wait for my 2016 Canyon to arrive. (ordered Mar. 1/16)
I ordered my truck with the optional Engine Block Heater.
In the manual it states the following;

"An internal thermostat in the plug-end of the cord may exist, which will prevent engine coolant heater operation at temperatures above −18 °C (0 °F). "

This seems quite odd to me.
First off, a internal thermostat "may" exist?
Why "may" exist?
Secondly, if indeed it does exist why would they set it to only come on at or below −18 °C (0 °F) ?
I've always had block heaters in my vehicles and I have them come on, with a timer, at anything below -5 C (23 F).
I do this not because I'm afraid the truck won't start, but because I believe it's a little easier on the engine, and I also get heat sooner.
I'm wondering if anyone has noticed their block heater not coming on until it gets that cold.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
In this day and age, it could be more crap from the environmentalist hippies in that they don't want us "********" using hydro unnecessarily. "May exist" could mean that feature will be found on trucks shipped to the southern states. :)

·
Premium Member
8,868 Posts
True story, they are only effective within the range you have identified.
Apparently, according to many other readers it has been this way for a long time. However people just never knew it and plug it in. Kind of like a placebo effect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well then I may have to just cut off the "internal thermostat in the plug-end of the cord" and replace it with a regular plug.
Although I'd hate to have to do anything like that on a brand new truck.
Thanks for your responses. ?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That may throw a check engine light that you can't get rid of.
@08Canyon is referring to a point someone brought up in another thread.

Since the block heater is not supposed to turn on until a set temp, someone suggested the engine light "could" come on if the computer sensed a higher than anticipated temp in the coolant on start-up.

I'm not sure if this true or if it has been verified or not.

If the block heater has the same plug-in as most older ones (curved with three prongs) an easy test could by simply plugging in a older type cord in it & see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if the 2015-16 trucks are different than the first-gen trucks BUT I have a block heater on my 2008 I-5 and it has the 'thermostat' inline in the cord. Look for a "bulb" shape in the cord as that is where the thermo is located. Why GM set the temp to come on only at zero or below I, also, have no idea.

For those interested, all 2004 to 2006 engines use a screw-in type heater while all 2007 to 2012's have a cartridge style heater. The latter do NOT require you to drain the coolant as the heater element goes up inside a blind hole/passageway cast into the blocks on the later models.

·
Premium Member
8,868 Posts
I was actually going to follow up but decided to not. But now that 2 others have chimed in, I figure why not.

Since nobody has actually chopped off the thermostat thingy, you should just go for it and end the discussion for winter 2016/2017. If you drive trouble free for the remainder of the winter we'll know that it can or can't be lopped off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well considering my truck likely won't arrive till May 1st at the earliest I'll likely just let this issue go, for now.
I'll plug it in on the first cold night next winter and see what happens.
Really don't want to be 'lopping off anything' ?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think that is a good feature. I coudl plug it in and not have to worry about it running needlessly. If the temp drops below 0F, it kicks on automatically. I wish I had that on my airplane block heater. I had to design a cell phone interface so I could contact it remotely at the airport several hours before I need it to turn it on. I'm working on an Internet WiFi contact now but maybe I'll just get one of these cords and use it instead. I've one on my Colorado that I seldom use it because the truck is usually garaged.

That is what happens when I over think something and make the solution to complicated.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ideally you would like to have a block heater that turns off when the block reached a specified temperature. The reliability of acthermal swich at the probe is poor, so they put one inline.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
That may throw a check engine light that you can't get rid of.
Don't think so. :nerd: . It does look at the ECT and the air temp sensor in the MAF and compare them on a cold start. I don't think it would light up the CEL on the first occurrence. It will then look for change in temp as the coolant warms up. There is a clearly defined set of data that is needed for "xx" events before the hard code is stored and the CEL illuminated. It is spelled out in the shop manual. Since it is already going to ignore the block and coolant warm up caused by a unmodified heater, I doubt that it takes into account the operating range of the heater.

I would cut that cord up and modify it in a heartbeat. I would, however, use it with a timer and a proper circuit breaker after that. Don't run the heater unless it is actually mounted in the block recess as it may burn the element if it does not have that big chunk of cooler aluminum to pull some of the heat away from the element.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Engine Block Heater, Thermostat

Wow, great information here on block heaters. I ordered my 2015 CC with the block heater option. Not because it gets really cold here in NC, it don't, but it does get down to around 10-15 F sometimes. Like some others who commented here, they wanted it to help with cold engine wear and tear on startup. I have asked techs at my dealership twice now and they say the same thing. Do not remove the thermostat, or else void the warranty on the entire truck. Wow, that's kind of harsh. It's also kind of stupid for it to not work above zero F either. Don't think I'll chance cutting the plug end off with the thermostat inside either. Don't want to chance setting a CEL with a code that cannot be removed, without replacing the ECU. Dang Chevrolet engineers. Someone at Chevrolet knows how to make the block heater work above zero F.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '16 Canyon 2.8L Dmax shipped without an engine block heater. Living in Colorado and traveling between there and western Montana, often in the winter, an engine block heater is a highly desirable feature. I was at the dealer yesterday on another matter and inquired about having an engine block heater installed. The rep could not find a part number for an engine block heater and claimed that it was not required in the 2.8L Dmax since it uses a variable viscosity oil and starting shouldn't be an issue in cold weather. I thought I felt a whiff of smoke blowing in my face when he said the Dmaxes didn't ship with an engine block heater even though I've seen it as an optional feature when building a Canyon on the GMC website....I'm interested in what others have done to add an engine block heater after market, particularly working with a dealer service department to have it done. Part number?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that is a good feature. I coudl plug it in and not have to worry about it running needlessly. If the temp drops below 0F, it kicks on automatically. I wish I had that on my airplane block heater. I had to design a cell phone interface so I could contact it remotely at the airport several hours before I need it to turn it on. I'm working on an Internet WiFi contact now but maybe I'll just get one of these cords and use it instead. I've one on my Colorado that I seldom use it because the truck is usually garaged.

That is what happens when I over think something and make the solution to complicated.
These products may take care of you pretty nicely
Thermo Cube
I hear they work great.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
My '16 Canyon 2.8L Dmax shipped without an engine block heater. Living in Colorado and traveling between there and western Montana, often in the winter, an engine block heater is a highly desirable feature. I was at the dealer yesterday on another matter and inquired about having an engine block heater installed. The rep could not find a part number for an engine block heater and claimed that it was not required in the 2.8L Dmax since it uses a variable viscosity oil and starting shouldn't be an issue in cold weather. I thought I felt a whiff of smoke blowing in my face when he said the Dmaxes didn't ship with an engine block heater even though I've seen it as an optional feature when building a Canyon on the GMC website....I'm interested in what others have done to add an engine block heater after market, particularly working with a dealer service department to have it done. Part number?
http://coloradofans.com/forums/226-diesel/301730-adding-block-heater.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.