Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First blackstone oil report I have gotten. This was the second oil change. I changed the oil the first time prematurely at 3200 miles because I was going to the sand dunes and I knew I was going to be romping on it. I am thinking this is why they are seeing some excessive metals in it still. At least that is what I hope lol! Although they did say to go 2300 miles more on the next oil change, I will go until the computer says to change it. I ran this oil from 100% to about 5% which equated to about 7700 miles. I am using Total Quartz 5-30 engine oil. Attached is the report

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Based on the "Properties" section, it looks like the oil held up well. Going to a 10,000 mile oil change might be worth trying for that oil.

Interesting that some of your wear metals are high, and so is your silicone. Based on that, I'd change the oil or collect a sample at 5K and send it off to Blackstone. If they don't start coming down, I'd be a little concerned about excessive wear. Especially if your silicone stays high.

Are you using a stock air cleaner?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Based on the "Properties" section, it looks like the oil held up well. Going to a 10,000 mile oil change might be worth trying for that oil.

Interesting that some of your wear metals are high, and so is your silicone. Based on that, I'd change the oil or collect a sample at 5K and send it off to Blackstone. If they don't start coming down, I'd be a little concerned about excessive wear. Especially if your silicone stays high.

Are you using a stock air cleaner?
Wow TBN held up well. I think silicone is used in some gaskets and readings can be high in a new engine.

With that said, I would do as .boB said and re-sample at your next oil change @ 5K and change the oil. If your silicone stays high then look at your air cleaner.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thank you for posting your lab results. Looks like the Total Quartz oil held up well - I used it for my 1st oil change at 5,000 miles and will continue with it. It is reasonably priced too on Amazon, for $40 for a 5 quart jug, shipped.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Iron looks a bit high. Otherwise I’ve seen worse! I’d stick with Mobil 1 to be honest. No point in paying extra if you’re stock. Either way engine looks like it’s wearing well. Going to the dunes explains the high silicon. I’d monitor that next change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here is my second report for comparison. BTW, there are some real Blackstone haters on the FB group for the DMax twins. Of course most of them are Amsoil sales guys. It's quite funny. They writhe and foam at the mouth about how Blackstone does 'shoddy work' and does not have the right certs, etc, etc, all the while trying to convince people to buy testing from Polaris labs which just happens to be resold by..... (wait for it...) AMSOIL! :) Note that I did not purchase the TBN report.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm no hater on Blackstone or anyone else - my opinion is doing all of this is a colossal waste of money. I've used either Castrol GTX or Mobil 1 in all vehicles for DECADES and have NEVER had a vehicle use oil or suffer any internal engine problem or failure. I just change the oil religiously about every 5000 miles. Many of the vehicles were trucks or SUV pulling a 4500 pound boat - some of that from Iowa to Lake of the Ozarks or Table Rock on sustained climbs at 70-80 mph. Nothing has been babied and nothing has failed. To each their own - but I think it's all overkill.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Not a Amsoil disciple or a follower of Blackstone.

If someone wants to use either that is fine but for a daily driver I just toss in Mobil 1 and change when needed.

The only time I see the need for oil analysts is when you are doing extreme things like racing and are looking to solve an issue. Or industrial equipment.

In a daily driver you are not going to do anything that is going to make a diiference.

But if you like kicking numbers around and really understand them that is fine.

Let’s face it most MFG are not going to do anything unless it fails. And premature engine failure is extremely rare.

To be honest the money would be better spent other service items that never get done like changing the brake fluid Ed etc.

Just my way of thinking. No claim of right or wrong here.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Granted it’s been more than 15 years now so things could have changed but Blackstone was who we sent all our samples to in the Army. Good enough for them (and the Military doesn’t change oil or filters unless/until the lab says too) good enough for me. :wink2:

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I'm no hater on Blackstone or anyone else - my opinion is doing all of this is a colossal waste of money. I've used either Castrol GTX or Mobil 1 in all vehicles for DECADES and have NEVER had a vehicle use oil or suffer any internal engine problem or failure. I just change the oil religiously about every 5000 miles. Many of the vehicles were trucks or SUV pulling a 4500 pound boat - some of that from Iowa to Lake of the Ozarks or Table Rock on sustained climbs at 70-80 mph. Nothing has been babied and nothing has failed. To each their own - but I think it's all overkill.
I with you on this, use the money you spend on lab work and buy oil and filters....right?

:serious:

Reactions: Chuck_B

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aside from your own interest of the results, I agree that sampling on this type of vehicle isn?t of too much benefit. Change your fluids/filters at max per manufactures spec and you?ll be fine.

At work, we sample all of our heavy construction equipment fluids with every service. This is to build trends and begin to identify issues/rebuilds/seal changes/etc... early on for future maintenance planning. Samples are also taken mid-cycle if issues are suspected. We do not bother with sampling any of the small truck/car fleet (both diesel and gas).

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with you guys regarding how 'useful' this all is. If I had a fleet of vehicles, I may do TBN testing to see how long I could go between oil changes because that turns into $$/margin. For me, it is just idle curiosity, nothing more. That's why I am so surprised to be attacked by the Amsoil guys on FB who tell me all about how I am buying an inferior product, bad testing, etc. I feel that if I am OK with the price, and the report gives me info that I like to read about, then what else is there to be said? I'm not trying to use these tests in any highly technical fashion, I just find them interesting!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I agree with you guys regarding how 'useful' this all is. If I had a fleet of vehicles, I may do TBN testing to see how long I could go between oil changes because that turns into $$/margin. For me, it is just idle curiosity, nothing more. That's why I am so surprised to be attacked by the Amsoil guys on FB who tell me all about how I am buying an inferior product, bad testing, etc. I feel that if I am OK with the price, and the report gives me info that I like to read about, then what else is there to be said? I'm not trying to use these tests in any highly technical fashion, I just find them interesting!

The Amsoil thing for some is like Tesla and has become a religion to them.

The fleet use is fine on the testing as some companies actually have a full program to take advantage of it.

If you want to do it just to do it it is fine.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would just like to know if there's any difference between Total Quartz and the other more well known oil brands.

basically, what is the best oil out there?
-For diesel

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
The Amsoil thing for some is like Tesla and has become a religion to them.

The fleet use is fine on the testing as some companies actually have a full program to take advantage of it.

If you want to do it just to do it it is fine.
Religion? More like a cult. lol

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I would just like to know if there's any difference between Total Quartz and the other more well known oil brands.

basically, what is the best oil out there?
-For diesel
The chance of you being able to see or experience any benefit of one quality oil over another oil over the lifetime of the vehicle is slim to none. Proper maintenance has the biggest effect, I used to spend hours researching what oil to use and checking to see if what I was using was still testing to be "the best" but I figured out that was a waste of time because all modern oils are good.

As long as it meets dexos2 and/or the correct API rating and is the correct viscosity then that's all you need to worry about, no need to waste time and money trying to find "the best."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here is the test results for my truck done a month ago. Tried posting sooner but for some reason couldn't post the screen shot from blackstone using my iPad. I'm using amsoil euro 5w30 but I'm not going crazy like some of you have posted that the amsoil user go discrediting blackstone. I started using blackstone 2 yrs ago to check the oil on my DD that had 180k before I put 1k in parts on it. Didn't want the engine puking a month later.

Text Font

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.