Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m close to pulling the trigger on some 265/70r17 Falken Wildpeaks for my ‘17 z71, but I was curious if anyone has ever had any issues with the 3 yr/36k mile GM factory warranty when going to a bigger tire.

I only ask because I had the infamous torque converter shudder shortly after I bought the truck. Dealer replaced TC and it’s been fine since (knock on wood). I’m currently sitting at just under 11k miles now. Would hate for something to act up with the trans/tc between now and 36k miles and dealer not honor the warranty because of the bigger tires.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've never heard of tires alone being the cause for a warranty denial.

Think about it this way, though. Larger tires put much less load/stress on the driveline than a 7,000LB trailer. Towing a trailer doesn't void the warranty, larger tires shouldn't impact it either (unless the tires literally damaged the truck because they were making contact).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Think about it this way, though. Larger tires put much less load/stress on the driveline than a 7,000LB trailer. Towing a trailer doesn't void the warranty, larger tires shouldn't impact it either (unless the tires literally damaged the truck because they were making contact).
That’s a good point. I’m probably overthinking it!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Though larger tires while towing at max rated capacity is outside the design limits. Also larger tires put different stresses on the drivetrain and suspension components than towing does.

While the OP may not ever tow a trailer(ever). The dealership would not know this. For all they know, the OP towed at max GVWR while running the larger tires.

It’s part of the same reason why an aftermarket calibration is such a big deal to GM. They can not verify the conditions the vehicle has been through between when it was factory stock and when it returned for warranty repair.

Typically you will not have a warranty issue due to a small change in tire size. But, if they want to make a point about you using parts that are not similar or equivalent to factory spec for your truck based on vin number, they can.

I modify my vehicles and do not expect to have a warranty issue. However, I know that it is a possibility. If you make the choice to do any modifications to your vehicle that are out of factory specifications, then accept the possibility of being your own warranty station.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If the dealer gives you any grief about larger than OE tires (within reason) then find another dealer. I had a dealer look at my truck and told me they won't even try to diagnose my axle seal leak under warranty because I had a 2" leveling kit on it. The next dealer gladly took care of the issue, under warranty, without batting an eye. Every dealer is different in their acceptance of aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the dealer gives you any grief about larger than OE tires (within reason) then find another dealer. I had a dealer look at my truck and told me they won't even try to diagnose my axle seal leak under warranty because I had a 2" leveling kit on it. The next dealer gladly took care of the issue, under warranty, without batting an eye. Every dealer is different in their acceptance of aftermarket parts.
That's kind of what I was thinking- really depends on the dealer. My dealership seems pretty fair and reasonable. They took good care of me when I had the torque converter issue, so I'd be shocked if they raised a stink about tire size (especially a minimal size increase).

·
Registered
80 Posts
As @F8LZ71 said, it’s often dealer dependent.

My dealer doesn’t care what I do to my truck. They will try to push anything through on warranty that they can.

But if GM wants to see the truck or request calibration details, ecm/pcm data, etc... Its out of their hands.

This is the first vehicle that I’ve actually put larger tires on the stock wheels. Though this is also the smallest set of tires I’ve ever put on a four whee drive, as I’ve had full size trucks in the past.

Generally I do tires and wheels. Then if I have a suspension or driveline issue that I believe is related to stock components and not something I did, I have the stock wheels and tires handy to bolt on.

No larger than you’re taking, there should be a dealer within a reasonable distance that will work with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't worry about bigger tires affecting your warranty. I put 265-70-17 AT3's on my stock truck and a couple months later the check engine light came on and turned out I needed a new turbo. Dealer didn't mention anything about the tires and covered everything under warranty and they're certainly not the best dealership I've been to.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you had a failure that could be related directly back to the tires, such as wheel bearing, then it is possible (but unlikely) GM could refuse the claim. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Agree w/others...unless dealer/GM can undoubtedly prove the tires caused issues/damage, you're good. I say - rock that new rubber!

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are laws in place to prevent this from happening, look up the Magnuson Moss Act. In a nutshell, it prevents dealers/companies from refusing to offer warranty simply because modifications have been made to the vehicle... among other things. They would need to provide evidence without any reasonable doubt that the specific modification you made was directly responsible for the warranty item in question. So, that is possible for some items when talking about larger tires... but not many, and it certainly doesn't void your warranty entirely.

As some have mentioned, often dealers simply don't know about this or refuse to touch the vehicle because they don't know what is allowed or not allowed. I agree that sometimes it can be easier to just find a new dealer, but at the end of the day you do have the Magnuson Moss act to fall back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
ktm308
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing