Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
Why offer us a single standardized tune when they can detune lower trims in order to upsell the HO tune? Classic create a problem to sell the customer a solution.
I guess. Seems to me the lowest-hp option might be chosen by commercial buyers.
Yeah for anyone else it seems pretty stupid - they spent development resources actually turning a proven engine down (what they did may even cause problems).

But I agree - potentially say Auto Zone, who probably also gave their employees a V4 in gen2 to deliver parts with, similarly doesn't want the temptation of 300+ HP involved.

· Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
222 Posts
I would guess the only real reason to get the extra 40 foot pounds of torque from the High Output tune is for towing 5,000ibs or more on a regular occasion or if you want more acceleration. But for only $400 sure why not. Unless you like getting better mpgs.

· Super Moderator
7,607 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
I would guess the only real reason to get the extra 40 foot pounds of torque from the High Output tune is for towing 5,000ibs or more on a regular occasion or if you want more acceleration. But for only $400 sure why not. Unless you like getting better mpgs.
Does the +40 lbs of torque actually change MPG based on GM's specs?

Usually that kinda stuff kinda doesn't - the same way tunes kinda don't. It may give you the ability to force more fuel through, but you gotta use your foot to make that happen, and if the vehicle performs better (ie say accelerating uphill) you very well may use more fuel on demand but with a shorter duration since the work is done quicker. Negligible possibly.

· Registered
723 Posts
last gen twins could have up to 7000ibs towing but most here would say they felt comfortable going up to about 5000ibs so I would guess the same it probably going to be true of the 2023 twins.
Probably, which is not unlike the full size 1/2 tons. Whatever they do to assume safe towing conditions must be incredibly ideal. In the real world it's nicer when you got enough truck such that you barely feel the trailer.

· Registered
222 Posts
Does the +40 lbs of torque actually change MPG based on GM's specs?

Usually that kinda stuff kinda doesn't - the same way tunes kinda don't. It may give you the ability to force more fuel through, but you gotta use your foot to make that happen, and if the vehicle performs better (ie say accelerating uphill) you very well may use more fuel on demand but with a shorter duration since the work is done quicker. Negligible possibly.
i hope you are right because more power/torque/acceleration AND the same mpgs or even better would be GREAT! I say better mpgs because some after market tunes like Triftia claim more hp, torque, and mpg

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Probably, which is not unlike the full size 1/2 tons. Whatever they do to assume safe towing conditions must be incredibly ideal. In the real world it's nicer when you got enough truck such that you barely feel the trailer.
i hope you are right because more power/torque/acceleration AND the same mpgs or even better would be GREAT! I say better mpgs because some after market tunes like Triftia claim more hp, torque, and mpg
I think if anything is going to hurt MPG's, it's the lift/tires etc etc. Less aero and all that. I also don't expect much of a difference though, considering that GMC is using it for all their Canyons.

· Registered
224 Posts
Here's kind of a preview of how the new turbo engine will perform against the current v6.

Yes i know this a ranger vs frontier but think of it like this. The 2.3 in the ranger makes its power at similar rpms to the new 2.7, but the 2.7 has +40hp and 80lbft. The 3.8 in the nissan makes similar power figures at almost identical rpms to the current 3.6. Results in the video speak for themselves, with the increased power of the 2.7 you can assume it will absolutely walk the current 3.6 from a dig and a roll.

· Registered
189 Posts
I saw that video. I don't think it's exactly fair sine the are in Colorado so the V6 lost a decent amount of power versus the turbo 4. Run them at sea level would be a more even race.

Reactions: Snipesy

· Registered
224 Posts
I saw that video. I don't think it's exactly fair sine the are in Colorado so the V6 lost a decent amount of power versus the turbo 4. Run them at sea level would be a more even race.
I agree on that part, but with additional power of the 2.7 its not going to be close even at sea level.

· Registered
189 Posts
It will be interesting to see I think with the extra torque it will definitely put a car or two out of the hole after that they will prob stay close. I will definitely drive one when they arrive.

· Registered
224 Posts
It will be interesting to see I think with the extra torque it will definitely put a car or two out of the hole after that they will prob stay close. I will definitely drive one when they arrive.
I don't see the 3.6 keeping it close, hard to overcome 120lbft difference.

Reactions: HED and 18Col ZR2

· Registered
222 Posts
I don't see the 3.6 keeping it close, hard to overcome 120lbft difference.
my 2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 has 276 foot pounds of torque and the new 2.7L 4 cylinder with High Output tune has 430 foot pounds of torque so 154 more foot pounds of torque, and when I stomp the gas pedal it goes so I can't wait to feel 430 foot pounds of torque and 5 more HP

· Registered
384 Posts
:rolleyes: Yup, they have a disclaimer next to the max number that says only available on dry sunny days between 40-75 degrees Fahrenheit, on flat terrain and during low tide hours...

Tyler

· Registered
224 Posts
my 2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 has 276 foot pounds of torque and the new 2.7L 4 cylinder with High Output tune has 430 foot pounds of torque so 154 more foot pounds of torque, and when I stomp the gas pedal it goes so I can't wait to feel 430 foot pounds of torque and 5 more HP
You are correct, i was roughly using the 310hp 390tq tune. The high output in the zr2 and gmc's will be an even bigger gap, especially when that extra 40 ftlbs is avaiable between 2k and 3k rpm.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts