Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Unlikely to be tuning for global b tbh. Not on this engine.

Tuning will certainly be possible but the advantages is diminishing as OEMs themselves are pushing the engines to their limit already. Gains of 50hp may be possible but it will be in a range that doesn’t even matter.

· Registered
53 Posts
If the upgrade tune is factory ordered, it is covered by the factory warranty. As an example, the higher spoilers, rocker skirts and front splitters on Corvettes and Camaros are all dealer-installed - they would 100% be damaged during shipping, so these pieces are sent directly to the delivering dealership to install as part of the PDI process. Even most of the accessories are covered if bought at the time the vehicle is ordered. Accessories purchased & installed after the vehicle is built wiil either have lesser GM warranties, or something direct from the part manufacture.

For the twins, things like side steps, splash guards, auxiliary lights, etc. will likely be dealer installed, but will be covered under full warranty. Unless owner-modified, of course. My '18 Colorado was ordered with the bed side cargo lights. Those arrived in a box at the Parts counter and were installed at the dealership.

· Registered
6,651 Posts
So this brings out an interesting question. Dealer installed options do not carry the same warranty as factory options. Since the HO tune in a Z71 is dealer installed does it carry the factory warranty???
As long as it's a GM approved "option", then yes it's covered and the warranty stays intact.

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Yep those transit issues are a bitch on that HO tune. Never Mind. If someone from GM or a dealer know the real answer to my question...........
It's a plug and play press one button tune.

Also, isn't the HO tune the original tune for this engine? The one that is equipped by default in the full size options? Or is it the step below the HO tune? I remember an article referring to the base tune on the Colorado as a "detuned version". And don't all the Canyon models come with it by default?

And as stated before, any reputable tune is not going to screw anything up. If it does, it's not very reputable/reliable is it? I think some people here are confusing those plug in tuners where the driver plugs and plays with stuff like timing without any real world experience vs. an actual reliable tune.

I have a tune in my Tacoma. There is over 350 pages on that thread from that tuner and it's nationwide for a reason - it's reliable. There has not been a single report of "drivetrain" issues or engines blowing up because of it and some people have put tons of miles on them. You may also be associated a tune with "more power pushes engines too hard" rather than optimal power and/or fuel savings by making those assumptions.

In regards to 3rd party parts/tunes: Yes, it's a risk you take because it's an aftermarket part. It's no different than any other aftermarket part even something like a cold air intake. Right? Because those things can cause lean codes too etc etc... The fact is: Anything you do yourself in those regards voids some warranty or some covered repair somewhere - with almost every product you buy. That's why you don't buy crappy tuners and just plug in some numbers that some jockey on a forum said "I use this". You find reliable tunes that are tried and tested. For some context, if you want to look for yourself in regards to the tune I am using on my Tacoma, it's called KDMAX Pro. Nobody is doubting that an aftermarket tune will raise red flags for warranty service, but the fear mongering towards 3rd party tuning needs to be looked at objectively instead of "All tunes bad". The KDMAX Pro tune is how Tacoma's should have came from the factory. Toyota is the one that screwed up the tune there, not vice versa. The catastrophic failure chances of red flags being raised are slim to none - on a proper tune. If an issue happens, it likely existed without the tune and I'm willing to bet that 1 out of 100 mechanics would even assume a tune had anything to do with it - or even know it was there for that matter.

The other absolute fact, and to answer questions in this thread is: This HO tune is something done from the factory. There is absolutely no way it will ruin a warranty. Period. If you want it, it can be added.

The only real question here is, and should remain as so: Is it worth it in terms of HP/Torque?

To tune the Tacoma I paid $500. A good tune is worth it's weight in gold. I suspect since all Canyons come with it that there is still plenty of wiggle room too.

· Registered
6,651 Posts
I have a Dodge Ram and the dealer installed Mopar (Dodge) steps before I purchased it new.. Those only carried a 1 year warranty because they were dealer installed.
HED is right in his answer. It works this way: If the dealer installed item is on your order/build sheet, it's covered by the factory warranty. If not, then it's whatever warranty the dealer offers. It can get confusing, especially if the salesperson isn't doing their job. Also beware of dealers who will make it appear like you ordered the item but puts their own brand/item on instead. It happens a lot.

· Registered
6,651 Posts
It's a plug and play press one button tune.

Also, isn't the HO tune the original tune for this engine? The one that is equipped by default in the full size options? Or is it the step below the HO tune? I remember an article referring to the base tune on the Colorado as a "detuned version". And don't all the Canyon models come with it by default?

And as stated before, any reputable tune is not going to screw anything up. If it does, it's not very reputable/reliable is it? I think some people here are confusing those plug in tuners where the driver plugs and plays with stuff like timing without any real world experience vs. an actual reliable tune.

I have a tune in my Tacoma. There is over 350 pages on that thread from that tuner and it's nationwide for a reason - it's reliable. There has not been a single report of "drivetrain" issues or engines blowing up because of it and some people have put tons of miles on them. You may also be associated a tune with "more power pushes engines too hard" rather than optimal power and/or fuel savings by making those assumptions.

In regards to 3rd party parts/tunes: Yes, it's a risk you take because it's an aftermarket part. It's no different than any other aftermarket part even something like a cold air intake. Right? Because those things can cause lean codes too etc etc... The fact is: Anything you do yourself in those regards voids some warranty or some covered repair somewhere - with almost every product you buy. That's why you don't buy crappy tuners and just plug in some numbers that some jockey on a forum said "I use this". You find reliable tunes that are tried and tested. For some context, if you want to look for yourself in regards to the tune I am using on my Tacoma, it's called KDMAX Pro. Nobody is doubting that an aftermarket tune will raise red flags for warranty service, but the fear mongering towards 3rd party tuning needs to be looked at objectively instead of "All tunes bad". The KDMAX Pro tune is how Tacoma's should have came from the factory. Toyota is the one that screwed up the tune there, not vice versa. The catastrophic failure chances of red flags being raised are slim to none - on a proper tune. If an issue happens, it likely existed without the tune and I'm willing to bet that 1 out of 100 mechanics would even assume a tune had anything to do with it - or even know it was there for that matter.

The other absolute fact, and to answer questions in this thread is: This HO tune is something done from the factory. There is absolutely no way it will ruin a warranty. Period. If you want it, it can be added.

The only real question here is, and should remain as so: Is it worth it in terms of HP/Torque? So stay on topic and stop scaring people. The EPA will not go full ATF. Right to repair exists for those exact reasons. Nobody is coming for your tunes. :rolleyes:
Good post except for the last paragraph. EPA did indeed come after diesel tunes/tuners and if you think it won't happen to gas powered vehicles, you are more optimistic than I.

· Registered
723 Posts
I'd always pay for a top output engine/tune in a vehicle within reason, certainly the $400 upcharge, even the $1500 + $400 upcharge in this case (reciting from memory the ballpark it was for the up level version)...

Usually having more power available doesn’t impact fuel mileage or longevity unless you actually are using it, otherwise it's like running the detuned engine.

0-60 times reflect mostly peak HP because when you run at pedal to the metal, after about 20 MPH in these trucks they all likely shift at 6000+ RPM anyway and start closer to 5000 than 4000 in the next gear. Torque comes into play at lower RPM and speeds. At low speeds its more about maintaining traction than HP or Torque, almost everything is quick 0-20. But it's certainly worth $400.

· Registered
7 Posts
Definitely worth $400. I'm surprised they are even offering 3 levels.
Why offer us a single standardized tune when they can detune lower trims in order to upsell the HO tune? Classic create a problem to sell the customer a solution.

Reactions: HED and leaky
41 - 60 of 88 Posts