Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a general statement 1/4 mile times and peak trap mph (assuming vehicle not speed limited) are most dependent on hp within the rpm range at shift points.

Since the HO version has peak torque at 3,000, which then tapers off to the max 310 hp point, and takeoff with both 310 hp versions will be traction limited, my bet is there will be little or no difference in 1/4 mile time and trap speed, and probably also 0-60 times.

Butt dyno and normal driving conditions including towing is where it will be felt most no doubt.

Just a thought.

· Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,503 Posts
I agree. Area under the curve at shift points I think is about the same. Assuming an ideal launch on both that is where the difference will come from I'd feel. The HO may make a tad more power at the bottom of the gear change... but depending on how the tuning is done on pulling power at shift, I think it'll probably be about the same.

Part throttle just cruising around will be better. I've actually said all that a couple times now...

Reactions: C21964

· Registered
380 Posts
As a general statement 1/4 mile times and peak trap mph (assuming vehicle not speed limited) are most dependent on hp within the rpm range at shift points.

Since the HO version has peak torque at 3,000, which then tapers off to the max 310 hp point, and takeoff with both 310 hp versions will be traction limited, my bet is there will be little or no difference in 1/4 mile time and trap speed, and probably also 0-60 times.

Butt dyno and normal driving conditions including towing is where it will be felt most no doubt.

Just a thought.
Yeah if the measurable numbers aren't going to change much at all but a tenth or two, Tim and Tom aren't going to be able to tell anything in the butt dyno or day to day with how flat the torque curves are and power delivery. Same HP and 10% torque won't stand out much if at all.

Tyler

· Registered
83 Posts
Yeah if the measurable numbers aren't going to change much at all but a tenth or two, Tim and Tom aren't going to be able to tell anything in the butt dyno or day to day with how flat the torque curves are and power delivery. Same HP and 10% torque won't stand out much if at all.

Tyler
This is kind of my feeling as well. I also am not too confident in Joe Chevy mechanic at the dealer messing with the tune in my new truck after it comes in. This is a new thing for Chevy and their service personnel.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
This is kind of my feeling as well. I also am not too confident in Joe Chevy mechanic at the dealer messing with the tune in my new truck after it comes in. This is a new thing for Chevy and their service personnel.
Plugging in a scan tool and pushing a couple buttons is pretty fool proof imo. I'd be much more concerned about the same guy doing my oil change.

· Registered
6,076 Posts
This engine is made to haul and tow not drag race.

It will have a more powerful feel than the V6 as you will not have to rev the engine to make power like nthe V6.

Mid 14 second runs in the 1/4 will be fine. It will be a few ticks better than the V6 would be my guess.

The goal of this engine was to not just get a bit more mpg but also reduce emissions. The higher boost makes the engine cleaner and the side effect is more power from a more efficient burn.

· Registered
6,076 Posts
Most dealers have Turbo tech. Even then adding a tune is not a thing difficult. They plug a code in and the GM scan tool loads it. I have not seen or expect Maps will need changed as it may already have 3 bars.

I do recommend on the Turbo engines to check your Tube clamps once a year. they can loosen and blow off with todays elevated boost levels. Diesels and gas both have done this.

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This engine is made to haul and tow not drag race.

It will have a more powerful feel than the V6 as you will not have to rev the engine to make power like nthe V6.

Mid 14 second runs in the 1/4 will be fine. It will be a few ticks better than the V6 would be my guess.

The goal of this engine was to not just get a bit more mpg but also reduce emissions. The higher boost makes the engine cleaner and the side effect is more power from a more efficient burn.
Agree. Point is a lot of road tests will list 0-60 and 1/4 mile times regardless of the intended use.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Most dealers have Turbo tech. Even then adding a tune is not a thing difficult. They plug a code in and the GM scan tool loads it. I have not seen or expect Maps will need changed as it may already have 3 bars.

I do recommend on the Turbo engines to check your Tube clamps once a year. they can loosen and blow off with todays elevated boost levels. Diesels and gas both have done this.
I am unsure what GM uses on this engine but on the equinox it uses a quick clip piece like the fuel lines, an offset ring. It blew off on my test drive of my sister's car because the ring would lose tension. They're was a PIT for an upgraded charge tube. If it works I feel that is a better way to go vs clamps. Hers has been fine for a few years now. I'd imagine most of the connections are probably that type now save for the rubber joints.

· Registered
6,076 Posts
I am unsure what GM uses on this engine but on the equinox it uses a quick clip piece like the fuel lines, an offset ring. It blew off on my test drive of my sister's car because the ring would lose tension. They're was a PIT for an upgraded charge tube. If it works I feel that is a better way to go vs clamps. Hers has been fine for a few years now. I'd imagine most of the connections are probably that type now save for the rubber joints.
Clamps and connections vary.

my problem was once I upgraded I had a plastic tube with a Map sensor in it, the boost blew out the map.

GM checked it out and it was a bad plastic weld with 23 pounds of boost that exposed the weld. Just a freak thing and easy warranty fix.

· Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
207 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Trifecta comes out with. I have it on my '19 and it dramatically changes the shift points. Butt dyno is better as well.
with these stats the 2.7L in these midsized twins should be pretty powerful not a monster but noticeably faster than my 2021 naturally aspirated 3.6L V6 CCSB Canyon. Then after Trifecta tunes them MAN that thing should FLY!

· Registered
170 Posts
That would be pretty cool if someone like Trifecta figures out how much you can push the stock turbo and fuel system. Are these trucks flex fuel?
Not flex fuel, but maybe with a tune. I can put E85 into my BMW M6 with my tune. Adds another 50hp and half the price per gallon and fill 25% of my tank with E85. Pays for the tune pretty quickly.
If Trifecta can put in +51 ft-lbs and +44 WHP peak in a Cruze 1.4L turbo, I would bet they can do better with the 2.7. What that does to the current HO tune from GM? Not sure, but it will be interesting to see.

· Registered
6,623 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Trifecta comes out with. I have it on my '19 and it dramatically changes the shift points. Butt dyno is better as well.
Regardless, you will have to decide whether adding whatever power they can squeak out will be worth losing your power train warranty.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts