Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my Camaro for this truck and so far I love the truck for the comfort but in addition to adding some things to make it look sexy I'd like to do something to help make me not miss the pull of that Camaro so much. I had a cold air intake on the Camaro and it seemed to give me a bump and better gas mileage but I saw one review on a CAI that said it caused the engine check light to come on so I'm looking for some user to tell me what they have and how they like it, and a link to a great price would be awesome. What other easy bolt on mods can I put on that will give me just a little more pick up when I take off and prevent some of the drag I'm feeling when going up hill?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What engine are you rocking in your truck? I really cant compare mine (v6) to the 4 banger or the diesel, but the HP and pickup in mine is just fine for what I bought it for....and actually surpassed what I was thinking it would be.
I've got the V6. I think part of my problem is that even if my Camaro was just a V6, a manual with mods, that I've been so used to driving a sports car that I don't know what normal, and certainly not normal truck pick up, should be. If I stomp on it then it takes off but I wish I didn't have to stomp on it to get the pull that I'm looking for, and going up hill I tend to lose speed pretty quickly if I'm not giving it plenty of gas. Things I never though about while driving a Camaro. I guess my days of dropping it from 6th to 3rd and getting jolted back in my seat are over :frown2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
That might be a bit more than I'm looking to do on a truck lol but I bet it would be fun if I had $5k laying around.

Well I didnt say it would be cheap.. :smile2:
When I have the money thats what Im going to do is add one of those...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've already started saving for a supercharger. Coming from a 550+HP car to this truck made me really appreciate how fast my car was, haha.

Reactions: Steven Burdick

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I've already started saving for a supercharger. Coming from a 550+HP car to this truck made me really appreciate how fast my car was, haha.

geez what where you driving? a mclaren? (cant see why you'd trade down to a lower output truck) >:)

(yes i know some cars have more than 550HP stock-- for instance z06 corvette)

·
Registered
85 Posts
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Traded "down" because I wanted something that wasn't bound to roads. In all actuality something like a Raptor would have perfect for me, it's fast and has good off road capability. But for the same price of a new ZR2, you can get a used 2012-2013 Raptor with 40-60k miles. It's ridiculous. Plus the Raptor is too damn big, and wouldn't fit in my garage, lol.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
at least with the intake you will make noise which makes it sound faster >:)

I had a KNN 63 series (soon for sale) and currently have a S&B cai and no issues with engine lights at all.

Reactions: Steven Burdick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some easy mods you could do would be a cai, overkills 80mm tb, and an exhaust. Round that off with a tune and you should be sitting a little south of 350hp. Don't think there are any other mods shy of going the route of a engine swap or supercharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
a trifecta, livernois, or any good comparable tune. hp, torque, and better shifting... hard to beat bang for the buck. almost everyone who has one will say it changes the way the truck performs tremendously.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Some easy mods you could do would be a cai, overkills 80mm tb, and an exhaust. Round that off with a tune and you should be sitting a little south of 350hp. Don't think there are any other mods shy of going the route of a engine swap or supercharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said, Anything else will require more serious work and $$$

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
What other easy bolt on mods can I put on that will give me just a little more pick up when I take off and prevent some of the drag I'm feeling when going up hill?

Hmmm - - -

Just kind of SMH on this. . . the 3.6L LGZ engine has 308HP stock and in independent magazine reviews will do low 6.x second 0-60MPH with 1/4 mile times of, what, something like 14.6 seconds.

Yup, I would guess there is a relative difference between the Camaro and a Twin truck in "set you back in the seat" feel.

That said. . drive it awhile, get a Pedal Commander for faster throttle response (opens more quickly), and call it a day.

I just look back on what a full sized truck was like in the early to mid '90s (or even 70s :surprise:) and a Colorado or Canyon kicks butt on any of them along with better MPG.

But, oh well, carry on.

Ok. . off my soap box.:p

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The only real major power gains are with the Supercharger. Todays engines respond well with supercharging and Turbocharging. Adding a tune on it can add much even in stock application. My 2.0 responded to 55 HP just with a tune and two map sensors.

As for the 3.6 there is not much out there. Intakes and exhaust all add small amounts but not a ton. Also they are not always cumulative unless they are tuned to work together.

Also many of todays engines have a learn feature that while you add a part it may learn back to the original setting unless you have the learn feature disables.

But on the flip side you are not saddled with a 193 HP 4.3 like I had in my Sonoma or 160 4.3 in my S10 like back in the day either.

The truth is you can make power but it cost money as there is no cheap short cut to it. Like they say how fast you want to be depends on how much you want to spend.

I work in the performance industry and I can get about any part needed but I plan to leave this truck stock and just drive it. It has great MPG and the power is all I need to get to work and where ever I am going. It is quiet and comfortable. I may do wheels if I ever find a set I like but right now almost everything is black out there and I am not interested. I did do a cover, Bed rug and sub.

If I need more power I would just look at the Mallet SC or step up to the full size V8 or tow a Diesel.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.