Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Springfield Armory XD MOD.2 40S&W Sub-Compact 3" Barrel in IWB Kydex Holster Custom Fit for Springfield XD MOD 3" Sub-Compact .40 S&W

A little hard to fully conceal with my skinny ass, but doable. Only takes one reasonably placed round to disable.

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
39 Posts
Yup you just need one...
My glock 33 is a little larger than I'd like to CC, as jsvz made comment to.
So I picked up a derringer in 38 special.
Tiny light powerful.

(tell me I am wrong, I still love it)
Great pocket carry, and cup holder. Can cover with bandana in work parking lots.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes it only takes one round placed in the right spot from even a 22 to disable. The point of this thread should stay focused toward education of gun carry laws, and the items to do so legally, reminder and tips... Its not a gun forum per say. I own... but let's not get too self righteous. Overcome the indifference with education for those who do not own.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Forum police!
Hands off the keybord!

Reactions: Mtn_man

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yup you just need one...
My glock 33 is a little larger than I'd like to CC, as jsvz made comment to.
So I picked up a derringer in 38 special.
Tiny light powerful.

(tell me I am wrong, I still love it)
Great pocket carry, and cup holder. Can cover with bandana in work parking lots.
I apologize if I have broken some forum rules or policies either written or assumed.

I totally agree that hand gun education, understanding the laws and understanding your responsibilities related to having a CHL (Texas abbr.) or carrying a hand gun is extremely important. A number of the people I know with CHLs probably should not even own a hand gun much less carry one.

That said the OP question did not seem to be related to any of those issues, simply where you would put your hand gun in our trucks if not on your person. It seems to me the type of hand gun is a potential part of how and where you would mount it. Just responding to my understanding of the question. Maybe I should not have added my hand gun is extremely lethal, than is a given with any gun.

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
39 Posts
Idk, I thought the policing was directed at me...

But I mention just putting that little pocket in my cup holder and if I am somewhere I cannot carry, clients building for work, I just leave in cup holder and cover with a bandana...
She is so small, I bet the average person would not even see a handgun with a quick glimpse.

Again, inside your vehicle is private property, just keep the gun within reach... With special care being needed if you have passenger or little ones in the truck with you.

I will snag a few pics when I run out here in a moment for what it looks like in the cup holder.

Here is a teaser.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I apologize if I have broken some forum rules or policies either written or assumed.

I totally agree that hand gun education, understanding the laws and understanding your responsibilities related to having a CHL (Texas abbr.) or carrying a hand gun is extremely important. A number of the people I know with CHLs probably should not even own a hand gun much less carry one.

That said the OP question did not seem to be related to any of those issues, simply where you would put your hand gun in our trucks if not on your person. It seems to me the type of hand gun is a potential part of how and where you would mount it. Just responding to my understanding of the question. Maybe I should not have added my hand gun is extremely lethal, than is a given with any gun.
No rules broken, I'm not an admin or anything. I just don't care what everyone has gun wise. Its a truck forum. Its good to gain some knowledge on laws and stuff and there have been some good posts above but all I'm saying is before we know it yall are gonna start talking about trigger weights and sights on a post about where and how to carry in your truck...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
39 Posts
No worries mtn_man, we're all just busting chops anyway.
But I do agree...

So this is where I keep my silly firearm.

I then stand my cell in the front cup holder... Its a nice pressure fit.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I do like the Bond Arms offerings.
Ive wanted the 4"

·
Premium Member
2016 GMC Canyon SLE
39 Posts
What you would really want is to shoot is .410 out of it, the defensive rounds that they make would stop any would be attacker in their tracks, ultimate truck gun!

Effectively a smaller, lighter "judge", with the downside being derringers are SA only.

I don't think there is much ballistic data out there on derringer length barrels, but 410 SHOULD be able to penetrate our door panels and stop someone on the other side of the door.

This is all making me think, is mounting a gun under the steering wheel, on the dash, a great place to access a firearm from? Doesn't seem like you could quietly arm yourself from that position... I guess that's a good place to keep a firearm with passengers/children in the truck with you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I then stand my cell in the front cup holder... Its a nice pressure fit.
I’d say that would be a higher risk of someone smashing the window, and happening to see the gun in the process. Most car break ins are related to some sort of technology just sitting in plain view (GPS, cell phone, etc).

But figured you mean just when you are driving.

What you would really want is to shoot is .410 out of it, the defensive rounds that they make would stop any would be attacker in their tracks, ultimate truck gun!
Most attackers, shy of a group of ANTIFA that are targeting you specifically, would stop in their tracks if you fired a blank gun at them. It is actually rare to have a car thief that will go toe to toe with an armed victim (and if they are armed, to be honest, you probably have a 50/50 shot of their gun even being able to fire).

And while I wouldn’t want to get shot with a .410... it isn’t the greatest option. The disk loads might give you somewhat decent damage (not even considering the BB shot... as you aren’t getting anything other than peppering the skin with that), but you aren’t getting expansion. People die because of either putting rounds into the central nervous system or causing enough blood to be lost that they lose consciousness. The former is a lot quicker, as people do take some time to bleed out. .410... with a muzzle velocity of 750 FPS... isn’t that great for either of those. My 147 grain 9mm is a good 200 FPS faster and will expand. Let’s say that the disks are similar in weight as .32 ACP... so 750 FPS and about a 70 grain projectile (granted 4).

That isn’t even getting to the fact that these .410 pistols (Judge and the Bond Arms) are rifled... which is how they get away from being considered a short barrel shotgun. Shot really isn’t supposed to go down a rifled barrel (I think Winchester even puts that on their .410 PDX1 loads... specially made for the Judge), as it causes odd patterns. So, you have disks and shot spinning, at someone who is either at your window or coming up to it with some type of reason for you to shoot (call it a good shoot). So, you fire at him, maybe amped up... and shoot slightly off target. Maybe he cuts his losses, or maybe now he is pissed off at you. We shoot to stop the threat, and a wounded threat is still a capable threat. I’m far from someone who wants to kill someone, but let’s be real... dead people don’t get up and engage you again. If you don’t have the justification to kill the person, you probably shouldn’t be pulling the gun. Seeing the part about .410 punching through a car door, I’d probably say no... since there is a lot of stuff inside a door to stop the projectiles.

Sorry, but similar to me if I have to fire my gun at work... you are responsible for every projectile you launch downrange. BBs aren’t doing a lot of damage, but could very well blind someone further downrange if one lands in an eye. Just look into how common it is for hunters using shotguns to have shot hit houses/cars/even people, it does happen. One of those disks... it will be like you clipped them with a .32 ACP. Single projectile, just a little easier to know where your shot is headed, and if you hit your target, velocity is going to be cut down considerably.

The .410 isn’t a new “handgun” fad. The Thunder Five came out in the early/mid-1990s... and had zero traction. Taurus definitely had more advertising (personally, I’d really like to see what Judge actually carried one, being I’d think that Sheriff Office likely protested it), especially when you get Marky Mark wielding it. But it definitely is one of the more frequent revolvers that sits in used gun shelves at shops. My dad bought one (used), and I warned him not to. Maybe put two cylinders through it before trading it on an H&K USP40 Compact (which he loves after I converted it to LEM).

Clearly... we can see my stance on .410 handguns. If it works for you, great... but it isn’t something I’d recommend to most people. If I’m going to/from work... it’s an agency issued Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. If not, usually a S&W 642-1 that I had rechambered for 9mm. When it gets colder, I’ll probably switch over to my CZ SP-01 and TLR-1... unless my port allows for weapon lights on the Glocks (then I’ll just carry that). I am refinishing a Walther PP, which I’ll probably leave in the Console Vault as an extra pistol.

Now, if something major happens when I’m at work or doing stuff around town, prefer more than just a handgun. I keep a backpack with my Level III plates, as well as an AR pistol...

Mainly an outport gun, for places where we don’t have long gun access. But definitely a better choice than the substitute I used when the upper had to be repaired... which was a PSA AK-P. Sorry, but you really don’t see L/E responding with AKs... so I felt like that was going to be an easy way to get shot. Actually made sure I had my Police patches easily visible on both sides when that was my truck gun. Let’s be honest... an AR looks more like a good guy’s gun than an AK.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I’d say that would be a higher risk of someone smashing the window, and happening to see the gun in the process. Most car break ins are related to some sort of technology just sitting in plain view (GPS, cell phone, etc).

But figured you mean just when you are driving.

Most attackers, shy of a group of ANTIFA that are targeting you specifically, would stop in their tracks if you fired a blank gun at them. It is actually rare to have a car thief that will go toe to toe with an armed victim (and if they are armed, to be honest, you probably have a 50/50 shot of their gun even being able to fire).

And while I wouldn’t want to get shot with a .410... it isn’t the greatest option. The disk loads might give you somewhat decent damage (not even considering the BB shot... as you aren’t getting anything other than peppering the skin with that), but you aren’t getting expansion. People die because of either putting rounds into the central nervous system or causing enough blood to be lost that they lose consciousness. The former is a lot quicker, as people do take some time to bleed out. .410... with a muzzle velocity of 750 FPS... isn’t that great for either of those. My 147 grain 9mm is a good 200 FPS faster and will expand. Let’s say that the disks are similar in weight as .32 ACP... so 750 FPS and about a 70 grain projectile (granted 4).

That isn’t even getting to the fact that these .410 pistols (Judge and the Bond Arms) are rifled... which is how they get away from being considered a short barrel shotgun. Shot really isn’t supposed to go down a rifled barrel (I think Winchester even puts that on their .410 PDX1 loads... specially made for the Judge), as it causes odd patterns. So, you have disks and shot spinning, at someone who is either at your window or coming up to it with some type of reason for you to shoot (call it a good shoot). So, you fire at him, maybe amped up... and shoot slightly off target. Maybe he cuts his losses, or maybe now he is pissed off at you. We shoot to stop the threat, and a wounded threat is still a capable threat. I’m far from someone who wants to kill someone, but let’s be real... dead people don’t get up and engage you again. If you don’t have the justification to kill the person, you probably shouldn’t be pulling the gun. Seeing the part about .410 punching through a car door, I’d probably say no... since there is a lot of stuff inside a door to stop the projectiles.

Sorry, but similar to me if I have to fire my gun at work... you are responsible for every projectile you launch downrange. BBs aren’t doing a lot of damage, but could very well blind someone further downrange if one lands in an eye. Just look into how common it is for hunters using shotguns to have shot hit houses/cars/even people, it does happen. One of those disks... it will be like you clipped them with a .32 ACP. Single projectile, just a little easier to know where your shot is headed, and if you hit your target, velocity is going to be cut down considerably.

The .410 isn’t a new “handgun” fad. The Thunder Five came out in the early/mid-1990s... and had zero traction. Taurus definitely had more advertising (personally, I’d really like to see what Judge actually carried one, being I’d think that Sheriff Office likely protested it), especially when you get Marky Mark wielding it. But it definitely is one of the more frequent revolvers that sits in used gun shelves at shops. My dad bought one (used), and I warned him not to. Maybe put two cylinders through it before trading it on an H&K USP40 Compact (which he loves after I converted it to LEM).

Clearly... we can see my stance on .410 handguns. If it works for you, great... but it isn’t something I’d recommend to most people. If I’m going to/from work... it’s an agency issued Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. If not, usually a S&W 642-1 that I had rechambered for 9mm. When it gets colder, I’ll probably switch over to my CZ SP-01 and TLR-1... unless my port allows for weapon lights on the Glocks (then I’ll just carry that). I am refinishing a Walther PP, which I’ll probably leave in the Console Vault as an extra pistol.

Now, if something major happens when I’m at work or doing stuff around town, prefer more than just a handgun. I keep a backpack with my Level III plates, as well as an AR pistol...

Mainly an outport gun, for places where we don’t have long gun access. But definitely a better choice than the substitute I used when the upper had to be repaired... which was a PSA AK-P. Sorry, but you really don’t see L/E responding with AKs... so I felt like that was going to be an easy way to get shot. Actually made sure I had my Police patches easily visible on both sides when that was my truck gun. Let’s be honest... an AR looks more like a good guy’s gun than an AK.
Nice build... Is that an Adams piston?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
45 LC in a derringer...that would hurt to shoot
Yes, but the point is for the bad guy (if he really is a bad guy, have a good shoot or don't shoot) to get hurt.
The Derringer, is a "gut gun", meaning you will be using it at point blank range. After 20 feet, don't expect much. But within that short range, a .410 defensive load will put more lead out the pipe than any other pistol other than a .410 revolver. But the point is this, in court, you will be scrutinized as to how many shots you made, and why. Often that one too many last finishing shot is enough to get you charged with murder. So, inflicting as much damage as possible with the fewest number of shots works in your favor (in my opinion, I am not a lawyer). This is where the .410 shines. And that's why I would have to have at least a 4".
Just one problem, two shots. If you are in more trouble, God help you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes, but the point is for the bad guy (if he really is a bad guy, have a good shoot or don't shoot) to get hurt.
The Derringer, is a "gut gun", meaning you will be using it at point blank range. After 20 feet, don't expect much. But within that short range, a .410 defensive load will put more lead out the pipe than any other pistol other than a .410 revolver. But the point is this, in court, you will be scrutinized as to how many shots you made, and why. Often that one too many last finishing shot is enough to get you charged with murder. So, inflicting as much damage as possible with the fewest number of shots works in your favor (in my opinion, I am not a lawyer). This is where the .410 shines. And that's why I would have to have at least a 4".
Just one problem, two shots. If you are in more trouble, God help you.
The chief of police that taught my conceal carry class when I took it a few years ago taught to double tap (to quick shots to body mass)

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
440 Posts
I have wanted the bond arms snake slayer for alcarrying around in the woods, bond arms makes nice stuff, their bullpup pistol looks really nice.

My main 2 I switch between is my taurus pt740 slim and charter arms 38 special.
I liked the charter 38 better than most others, it is a great snubby.
My pt740 is nice and compact 40 s&w.

Been looking for a bersa thunder 9mm Nickle, I want a 9mm sa/da

With the 410, if you are over the stated 20' away, then in court they can start to bring up the comment about being able to get away and using pistol was not a necessity.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
bond arms makes nice stuff, their bullpup pistol looks really nice.
The pistol bullpup is ammo sensitive. need tight neck crimps.
Been looking for a bersa thunder 9mm Nickle, I want a 9mm sa/da
I like those too
With the 410, if you are over the stated 20' away, then in court they can start to bring up the comment about being able to get away and using pistol was not a necessity.
A knife attacker can cover 20 feet very fast. Past that, YMMV. But what do you do with the knife attacker who won't go away, he just keeps taunting you?
You drop him! He had an INTENT to harm you with a deadly weapon.

Reactions: Speedy4x4

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
440 Posts
And my knees are not like they used to be.
Soooooo
20+ yards ? :)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts