Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. Our paint is very weak IMO. Needs all to protection it can get, GO...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I have had several bird craps etch into my clear already. I'm sure it'll buff out with a D.A. or wet sand but the wax did nothing to protect. Look into ceramic coatings.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
According to some pros, it isn't "etching" that occurs from bird droppings and no paint protection can really stop it. Only quick removal especially if this occurred on a hot, sunny day when the paint surface expands. It's the hot painted surface that then later cools that causes the "etched" appearance. Nothing to do with acid in bird droppings, but just the mechanical effects of it on the painted surface.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph

·
Registered
407 Posts
According to some pros, it isn't "etching" that occurs from bird droppings and no paint protection can really stop it. Only quick removal especially if this occurred on a hot, sunny day when the paint surface expands. It's the hot painted surface that then later cools that causes the "etched" appearance. Nothing to do with acid in bird droppings, but just the mechanical effects of it on the painted surface.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph
I did manage to get some of it out by hand buffing but that bird crap had berries in it and maybe that was acid based. I do have one big one I can't get out and maybe that article is right. If so definitely need to protect the paint some how.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
What blue states is true.

The key it to get it off as soon as possible.

If it does leave a mark a polish like 3M machine glaze or 3M Finesse ultra fine polish will remove it by hand.

Your first step is not to sand or go major on the compounds unless the lighter polish does not remove it. Always go mild and you can move up if needed.

I use these polishes and I seal it with mother gold carnauba wax. Carnauba wax is the hardest wax out there and will provide the best protection but fast removal is key.

Todays paints are similar in make up with all brands and are water based. Emission laws have pushed us to these new paints. In some ways they are better but in other ways they are not as good. Lacquer paints were very durable but often would fade and crack. Todays is a more urethane based where it has more give to it but it can mark. But it will not crack and is more fade resistant.

I keep a bottle of Adams detailer and a microfiber towel to deal with anything that may land on the paint.

Note bug crap and bugs on the nose can do the same damage depending on their make up. Remove it when you find it.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Collinite 476S. This is my next step, if I don't do a coating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use the bug remover at the car wash. Never let it get on your plastic. A lot of car washes won't use acid soaps anymore due to the damage they do to your black plastics, which makes them grey over time. The bug wash, quickly rinsed off, took the etchings of hard water spots off my hood in no time flat. After that I dried and used a quick detailer spray, back to bass boat metallic blue again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.