Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I’ve been researching the ZR2 Colorados and I stumbled on the Brazilian market S10 and the Australian Colorado. The US market Colorado bed looks fine, but I really like how the foreign ones look. Would it be possible to theoretically swap out a US bed for a foreign one or would it need too much modification? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I bet it ain't even close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard could it be? It's a box, give it a go and let us know.
That’s the thing like it’s probably expensive but I’m not even sure what the dimensions are. If anyone has info on that please let me know. I’m just curious because I’m pretty sure it’s on the same platform.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,223 Posts
Well some research would have to be done about dimensions. But other then that, the swap itself should be simple.
People are able to put other Beds from other Manufacturers or even other Models on their trucks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dimensions will be your key metric. If the overall dimensions are the same, worst case scenario you're moving some bed mounts in mild steel. Move the bed side, not the frame side because the frame is alloyed and hardened in sections for safety reasons, and welding heat could mess with the temper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out shipping costs (especially from Oz) and then decide to forget the whole idea.
Haha yeah that’s a big obstacle, but maybe I can figure something out for a Brazilian market S10 bed if it’s cheaper. Not likely though considering I don’t know where to look without going there.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
The US platform is different from the global units, having been built from a scratch design. The next gen will all be on the same platform supposedly, with the GMT31XX-2. The wheel openings will be shaped quite obviously different front to rear.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
If I recall correctly even with the trucks based on the same platform the frames are longer here than there. That would be an issue for a swaps.

But shipping would kill the deal before you started unless you ran into some kind of deal.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I pulled up a couple of pics of South America S-10. First thing that struck me was that the fuel fill seems to be aligned slightly different. Not sure this is a fatal issue. Bed looks like it is significantly shorter and while I could not find any dimensional specs, I did find this comment:

The architecture is the same but they have built, priced and tuned it to each market it is in.

The Holden Colorado and S10 are more similar. They both use the shorter bed, The frame is a little shorter, The interior is not trimed as well. No V6 overseas. The suspension is tuned differently.

The N American version offers a longer frame that offers crew short bed and Extended long bed on it and then an even longer long bed crew here.

The bed is deeper. here. Also there are more options offered here than many overseas markets.

GM took about two years to rework the truck to better fit the American market and it shows in how it drives. Ford did not do that much to the Ranger and it shows in how it rides and handles here.

Gm as a whole has handled this program better than some other global platforms they have used. This is not a one shoe fits all class. Different markets have different expectations.

In Asia they have cargo hooks on the outside of the bed rim. They expect that there.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Check the wheel base, Bed Length and overall lengths and it will give you the idea of how different it is. There were a good number of changes to the NA version than many realize.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone

I’ve been researching the ZR2 Colorados and I stumbled on the Brazilian market S10 and the Australian Colorado. The US market Colorado bed looks fine, but I really like how the foreign ones look. Would it be possible to theoretically swap out a US bed for a foreign one or would it need too much modification? Thanks.
First issue I notice is the shape of the fender openings.. that would look silly. I’d spend my time and money on more practical upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the insight everybody. I guess it’s pretty hard to do and not worth it. Maybe some other mods would help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts