Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Colorado CCLB Z71 diesel Rainforest Green
226 Posts
Here's mine. Not complicated, but it works. Enough room to turn sideways with feet on truck bed floor and sit up without hitting head on ceiling. The supports are just slid into place to keep the plywood and long 2x6s from flipping up when climbing in. Open storage underneath by lifting the plywood up. I just put down a shipping blanket on the plywood, then a self inflating pad and a sleeping bag. Good to go.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

ARE MX top. Mid rise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh yeah...one other thing...

I mounted a 200mm(about 8") Noctua 12v DC computer case fan to a piece of an old computer case side panel with a piece of window screen on the outside to keep bugs out. I open up the front window of the topper and put a piece of water pipe insulation between the truck cab and the topper above the window opening to keep possible rain water from running down into the fan. I've set it up to pull air in from outside. It pulls in just enough air to circulate inside and it is very quiet. I'm powering it with an 11.1v 4000mAh RC airplane battery. The fan only draws 0.08A, so it can run a very long time. The truck sliding window is closed.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
725 Posts
Oh yeah...one other thing...

I mounted a 200mm(about 8") Noctua 12v DC computer case fan to a piece of an old computer case side panel with a piece of window screen on the outside to keep bugs out. I open up the front window of the topper and put a piece of water pipe insulation between the truck cab and the topper above the window opening to keep possible rain water from running down into the fan. I've set it up to pull air in from outside. It pulls in just enough air to circulate inside and it is very quiet. I'm powering it with an 11.1v 4000mAh RC airplane battery. The fan only draws 0.08A, so it can run a very long time. The truck sliding window is closed.

View attachment 410066
I’ve been wanting to do something like this. I
Have a 12v 6”? fan that I mounted to the window from in that exact window. I have 12v power in the back of my canopy that I can plug it into. I like mine because it oscillates and I can also face it down to push air out of the window. I just open one of the front sliders and it’s enough air flow to pull air in through that front one. I definitely would prefer something like this though because of its sleekness factor. Mine tends to bounce around and hang down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I could have run it off of a 12v accessory jumper that is included with my third brake light harness(which I believe is to power the dome light, mine is AA battery powered), but I didn't want to tempt fate and run my truck battery down and not be able to start it. That's when I just decided to run it off the the 11.1v LiPo RC battery. If I'm doing my math right, theoretically, it should run for 50 hrs on the 4000mAh battery. So, for 4 day/3 night canoe trip, I could easily run it for 8 hrs/night, and only use half charge.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
725 Posts
Yep I don’t try to run it too long. I may upgrade to the diesel battery when my current battery goes. That way I don’t have to worry as much about running my accessories when camping. Mine only pulls .8A as well so relatively efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchasing a second hand good bedroom set can be very expensive; the main reason is that most sets on the market besides the included furniture they include for the bed only a metal frame & casters where you set your box spring / mattress but the mattress / box spring is not included and these babies alone can set you back more than $1200 new for a half decent set (I wouldn’t consider used).

To cut down my cost I thought to build my own frame where the mattress will rest and get away from purchasing a box spring. The idea came up from a bedroom set I already have for many years and it does not have a box spring; it has a platform where you lay your mattress on top and that is all. Besides the savings, this kind of set up also offers the advantage that you can make the height of your mattress to whatever you want plus there is no dust accumulation under the bed which sometimes is difficult to vacuum.

I had to make two of these; one for a queen size bed and one for a double size bed. For the queen size bed the material used to make the frame (39”x 68”) to support the platform is 1/2" MDF and the material for the platform (63”x 82”) is 5/8” MDF. I used one sheet of 1/2” MDF for the frame and three sheets of 5/8” MDF for the platform. The materials cost was approximately $110.00 which is pretty good if you consider that a queen size box spring can easily cost $600 or more.

For the double bed size the material used to make the frame (32”x 64”) to support the platform is 1/2" MDF and the material for the platform (56”x 78”) is 5/8” MDF. I used one sheet of 1/2” MDF for the frame and two sheets of 5/8” MDF for the platform. The materials cost was approximately $80.00.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts