Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing my truck I noticed that my bed is obviously off-centered from the cab of the truck. I recently installed a rough country 1.25” body lift so I’m guessing that could be the reason. Has anyone noticed this on their truck with or without a body lift? And if so, how should I go about correcting this? I installed the body lift exactly as RC’s directions stated. Also I’m not sure if this existed before or after the body lift. I just noticed it as I was looking down the side of my truck for scratches. Not sure if the pics help but the front side of the bed is shifted slightly to the left. You can tell from the passenger side. Not so much from the driver side.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well had to go look at my 2019 Colorado LT 4x4 crew cab and my bed is a little more toward the left as yours but not much. I did have a 2" R.C. strut/spring combination put on my truck by a suspension shop but I don't believe it had anything to do with it. Believe its just built that way at factory.

Reactions: Skrongbed

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
This is how they come from the factory.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
My 2018 crew cab isn’t like that. Hard to believe it would leave the factory like that.
Here’s mine, took this pic shortly after buying new in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skrongbed

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
There was a big thread on this a while back, some were threatening to take their truck back.

There has not been a thread about the steering wheel being off center for a while, did they fix that?

we need pictures of your truck with the body lift

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
There has not been a thread about the steering wheel being off center for a while, did they fix that?
Did they fix their quick-and-dirty alignment process? Unlikely. Alignment is covered under the warranty for the first 12mo/12k miles. Sucks, but that's how it gets fixed.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Did they fix their quick-and-dirty alignment process? Unlikely. Alignment is covered under the warranty for the first 12mo/12k miles. Sucks, but that's how it gets fixed.
I meant the steering wheel centerd with the seat. Not sure about the steering wheel cockeyed being fixed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a big thread on this a while back, some were threatening to take their truck back.

we need pictures of your truck with the body lift
Rc body lift on top of Rc leveling kit and Silverado lift block

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anybody corrected this issue? I assume it should just be as easy as loosening some of the mounts and pushing the bed over and tightening them back up right? Or is the bed just permanently off-centered without a way of correcting it? I guess it doesn’t really affect anything but now I can’t unsee it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Has anybody corrected this issue? I assume it should just be as easy as loosening some of the mounts and pushing the bed over and tightening them back up right? Or is the bed just permanently off-centered without a way of correcting it? I guess it doesn’t really affect anything but now I can’t unsee it.
I would wager it’s a misaligned panel in eitheir the cab or bed.

Misaligned panels happen all the time with cars... But since it’s all one big piece it is just compensated in alignment and no one cares. At worse you see decorative panels or windows not line up.... cough Tesla cough

Our truck is effectively 2 unibody cars, attached with rubber to a metal frame. So any deformities become insanely obvious since they won’t match.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Our truck is effectively 2 unibody cars, attached with rubber to a metal frame.
Can a sentence be an oxymoron? ;)

I went and looked at my truck and it seems to be centered.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Can a sentence be an oxymoron? ;)

I went and looked at my truck and it seems to be centered.
Some OEMs actually do refer to the cab and box as unibody. Kinda weird.

I suppose it’s somewhat true. Lots of unibody tech is applied to the design of the cab for crash worthiness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed this on my truck a while back. Kind of annoying but it is what it is. To me it looks like the lower portion of the bed is more narrow than the back of the cab because I can see the misalignment on both sides in the same inward direction.The passenger side looks worst than the driver however.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Bodies on vehicles are not a precision assembled part. They are much better than they once were but they are all still a little off spec.

It was once so bad they had a number of shims just to adjust fenders to doors. This was with large gaps. Today it is closer but I wager these beds are no square and off a little.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Some OEMs actually do refer to the cab and box as unibody. Kinda weird.

I suppose it’s somewhat true. Lots of unibody tech is applied to the design of the cab for crash worthiness.
Not true in the least. Calling the bed and cab "unibody" as they literally sit on a frame is an oxymoron. Either the frame is part of the body (unibody) or it's not. There is no both.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts