Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tow a hybrid fifth wheel camper so a tonneau cover wasn't an option for us to provide secure weather proof storage in the truck bed. The Cam-Locker tool box has proven to be a very good choice. Their application catalog calls for a 63" wide box with a full notch to clear the wheel wells but that notch isn't necessary for our trucks and I'd go with a straight drop to gain a little more storage if I were to do this over.
IMG_6847.JPG

I went with the low profile version in matte black. The lid is rated for 250 lbs and my 73 qt Ozark Trail cooler and Honda genset fit perfectly side by side between the optional rails. These are easily secured with ratchet straps and cable locks. I think there'll also be room there for a 5 gallon MFC but haven't figured out a mounting system just yet.
IMG_6848.JPG

I've had UWS and other more popular tool boxes in the past but the Cam-Locker is definitely a step up in quality and well worth the higher price.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,721 Posts
It looks good. I am guessing the space between the front of the bed and the box is do to bracketing on the top of the lid needing space.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks good. I am guessing the space between the front of the bed and the box is do to bracketing on the top of the lid needing space.
Thanks. That would be correct. There's just a slight clearance between the window and the rail with the lid fully raised. I have a piece of 3" aluminum angle that I'll paint matte black as soon as the weather allows which will be bolted to the tool box to fill in the gap and give a more finished appearance,

·
Registered
278 Posts
how do it work with watever 5th wheel you tow? Does it leave enough clearance

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I towed a 5th wheel with a tool box and a tonneau cover. Granted it was a full size, but I found a tool box that fit between the rails and used a roll up tonneau:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do it work with watever 5th wheel you tow? Does it leave enough clearance
19' Scamp weighing around 3,500 - Not a true fifth wheel but uses a regular 2" bumper pull coupler on the end of the square tubing rather than a pin. It pulls great; I can center the ball with the tailgate down and still have enough room between the nose and cab for 90*+ turns without the cooler and genset or a little less if they're on board. I pulled this same camper for ten years with Tacomas and, so far, the Colorado appears to be even better.
IMG_6833 (4).JPG

I towed a 5th wheel with a tool box and a tonneau cover. Granted it was a full size, but I found a tool box that fit between the rails and used a roll up tonneau:
We mostly boondock and there was no way I could fit the tool box, hitch, cooler and genny in the 60" bed and use a tonneau. The cooler and generator have to ride on top of the tool box when we're travelling. Once we unhitch, I can remove the hitch tower and relocate them to the truck bed. The Tacomas had much better inside storage under and behind the rear seat plus I had a roof rack on them. I may still need to put a rack on the Colorado but so far this is working OK without that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
yea i was just wondering how low the 5th wheel sat....thought the rails on the tool box might have it sit to high....not allow much travel...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Can you tell me the specs on the toolbox? I love how it works.
I just happened to see it at Lowes. Took a tape measure to it and sure enough, it JUST fit between the rails of my cover. Remember though, this was a full size truck.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
19' Scamp weighing around 3,500 - Not a true fifth wheel but uses a regular 2" bumper pull coupler on the end of the square tubing rather than a pin. It pulls great; I can center the ball with the tailgate down and still have enough room between the nose and cab for 90*+ turns without the cooler and genset or a little less if they're on board. I pulled this same camper for ten years with Tacomas and, so far, the Colorado appears to be even better.
View attachment 386083

We mostly boondock and there was no way I could fit the tool box, hitch, cooler and genny in the 60" bed and use a tonneau. The cooler and generator have to ride on top of the tool box when we're travelling. Once we unhitch, I can remove the hitch tower and relocate them to the truck bed. The Tacomas had much better inside storage under and behind the rear seat plus I had a roof rack on them. I may still need to put a rack on the Colorado but so far this is working OK without that.
Here's that same truck when "full":

I wired a 2000w inverter in the tool box:

When we pulled our 5th wheel to Alaska, I also had 6 - 5 gallon jugs of diesel fuel for emergency use. In west Canada and parts of Alaska, fuel stations can be few and far between. We arrived at one town where I planned to get fuel only to discover the only station in town had burned to ground shortly before we got there. The next town was over 50 miles away. The roll up covered everything up whenever we left the campgrounds to go anywhere. Great times and truck!

And sorry for hijacking the thread!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's that same truck when "full":
View attachment 386116

I wired a 2000w inverter in the tool box:

View attachment 386117

When we pulled our 5th wheel to Alaska, I also had 6 - 5 gallon jugs of diesel fuel for emergency use. In west Canada and parts of Alaska, fuel stations can be few and far between. We arrived at one town where I planned to get fuel only to discover the only station in town had burned to ground shortly before we got there. The next town was over 50 miles away. The roll up covered everything up whenever we left the campgrounds to go anywhere. Great times and truck!

And sorry for hijacking the thread!!
Nice layout in the bed; its obvious you gave that a lot of thought. We keep thinking we'll get to Alaska one of these days but just keep finding too much to do between here and there and run out of time. We did get as far as Nevada and Idaho last year so progress is being made. Heading west again in May.

Where did you locate the inverter? I'm planning to do the same thing (box mounted outlets). Even though the outlet in the Tacoma was only 400W, I used it a lot rather than firing up the Honda.

Ain't seen no hijacks around here. Appreciate any and all input.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Nice layout in the bed; its obvious you gave that a lot of thought. We keep thinking we'll get to Alaska one of these days but just keep finding too much to do between here and there and run out of time. We did get as far as Nevada and Idaho last year so progress is being made. Heading west again in May.

Where did you locate the inverter? I'm planning to do the same thing (box mounted outlets). Even though the outlet in the Tacoma was only 400W, I used it a lot rather than firing up the Honda.

Ain't seen no hijacks around here. Appreciate any and all input.
The inverter was located inside the tool box, just behind the outlet:

Alaska is a destination everyone should have on their bucket list. The drive though British Columbia was breathtaking as well. Canadian fuel prices on the other hand are extreme, and the further you get into their western wilderness, the higher they get. Diesel in my home state of Michigan was $2.78 when we left. At one point in the Yukon, we paid $5.27 after factoring exchange rate and conversion from liters to gallons. After we crossed into Alaska, the first station had it for $2.83!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Tom. If you don't mind - What gauge wire did you run from the battery(ies) and how long were they? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of this so any info is appreciated.

Also appreciate the encouragement for an Alaskan visit. Its definitely on our list. I'm a flat land NC country boy from a one mule tobacco farm who Uncle Sam generously provided with a two year all expense paid world tour back in 69. Part of that time was spent in southern AZ where I developed a thing for deserts and we always seem to get hung up in that area whenever we go west.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts